“Lowest common denominator” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #126 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
Antigua, Sacatepequez, Guatemala
“Lowest common denominator”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

I have mixed feelings about reviewing this place because it served it's purpose for me- it was by far the cheapest 'hostel' in DC... BY FAR. I was on a tight budget and couldn't pay close to 40 bucks a night for the other hostel in the city. I was a bit puzzled that it was listed as a hostel because it is clearly a hotel but I confirmed with them that it is and I rocked up at 8 at night in a slightly sketchy area with nothing more than a Subway stop and a Subway restaurant nearby and found the place. It is a dump to be honest- I won't skirt around that but nonetheless I was going to pay less than 20 bucks a night in one of the dearest cities in America and I didn't expect much so I didn't care.

The room was...hmmm, adequate apart from the 4 beds cramped into a fairly small place and the window which had an ill-fitted air conditioner and so had a huge gap letting the crisp -7 degree air in. It had a bed, cleanish sheets, extra blankets, WIFI and even a TV. Not bad really once I'd stuffed up the leaky window with a spare blanked before I died of hypothermia in the night! The shower and bathroom was fine with free soaps and shampoo. Housekeeping came round every morning without fail. Next morning- breakfast time and a surprisingly decent spread of all-you-can-eat bagels, toast, muffins, jam, nutella, honey, coffee, tea, juice and fruit (a luxury in hostels). Couldn't complain at all for the price.

The staff- not the best but they did move me to another room with no fuss when another guest in the dorm was being very abusive and unpleasant. The wifi was hopeless at times but good at others. They had computers you could use in the lobby.

Overall it is ok for the price if you don't care too much for luxury and just want a cheap place to stay in DC right next to the Lincoln Memorial. I stayed for 9 nights and it was fine- can't complain for 20 bucks a night. I wouldn't recommend paying any more than that though to be honest!

Plus points- price, excellent location, breakfast, hotel luxuries for a hostel price

Negatives- I would have caught hypothermia without the blanket, rooms are VERY basic, it isn't really a hostel but whatever..., if I'd paid 40 bucks a night I'd feel very ripped off.

Room Tip: The dorm with bunk beds is MUCH better than the one with single beds and leaky window.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Bishop, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

Tough place to review... it's really kind of a dive, but finding a low price hotel in this great location makes it somewhat special. The bed was comfortable, carpet was worn through, there was plenty of dirt on top of trim etc. The room layout was cramped, but interesting. The front desk people were very nice. They gave me a room that could have slept 3 people, but there's no way 3 people could function in there. It's fine if you appreciate price and don't care about anything else. I probably won't stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

Not filthy, but not very clean. Millions of ants. Freezing room because window had a gap in it. Bed was old and broken. I was too scared to look at the bed closely to see how clean it was. Breakfast was fine, and I loved the Costco peanut butter. This place is just kinda gross. I didn't look forward to coming back here at night. Convenient neighborhood and very nice staff.

Room Tip: Try to get an ensuite bathroom if you can.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

The hotel is in a very good zone: 3 blocks from the metro station and walking distance from the white house. However the rooms are really small, ugly and crumbling, nothing to do with the pictures they have on the website. They' also offer a breakfast: only bread and butter.. At least is clean. In my opinion the price is too high for what it offers (don't get me wrong is cheap but not for what it offers).
Btw no service at all.

• Stayed May 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

The minute you set eyes on this dilapidated,collapsing shack is the minute you will be welcomed to hell on earth. The exterior says it all : rusting windows,horrendously tacky neon signage and smoky,blackened windows. Oh, Where to even begin with this revolting dump? Cockroach infested rooms,flithy, unwashed, blood laced linen. A lingering, nauseating musty smell pervades every pore of this slum. Floors squeak suspiciously and threaten to crack open as you walk on them. Bathrooms are health hazards, mildew and mold fester in every crevice. EVERYTHING is virtually coated in bacteria. Piles of ancient dust layer every surface. The carpet reeks of a sharp, vinegary smell. The same carpets appear to be decaying, and any type of pathogen could leap out of it and burrow into your feet, so wear thickly layered flip flops. There is a microscopic television from 1771 available.If you can bear to lay your hands on the filthy remote, you can look forward to a wide selection of ghost channels featuring noise and black and white dots. When you have had enough, rude staff holed up at the reception desk(surrounded by copious pots of plastic flowers) will interrogate you and demand proof that you are indeed staying at the Allen Lee.

If you are brave, I dare you to take the elevator. In addition to being as filth smothered as the rest of the building, it also boasts a selection of grimy ,broken mirrors and protruding shards of glass. Caution-Don't touch it lest you slice off a part of your hand.
I had booked the Allen lee for two nights, but could only barely survive one. I moved out immediately the following morning and went to stay with a friend.

They however serve complimentary breakfast, which is the opposite of a compliment. I would not eat anything produced in this cesspool if I were you. Be warned!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Buffalo, New York, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

First let me start by stating that originally the my colleagues and I were supposed to stay in the Gallery Inn, which is owned by the same person as the Allen Lee. 48 hours before we departed for our trip we were notified that our accommodations had been switched, and after reading the reviews on trip advisor, were horrified. Going in with an open mind, we were again horrified to find that we had to share our beds which was not the accommodations we had booked. The sheets were dirty, containing pubic hair and stains, as well as the towels. When I requested a cot so that I may have my own sleeping space, I was brought one that had obviously not been changed since its last use. In the drawers and on the box spring was bed bug feces. Another room has it's window patched by using cardboard, which was located on the first floor of the hotel. On another note, a halfway home is a wonderful organization, but having laptops and electronics with doors that barely locked, my colleagues and I were extremely uncomfortable leaving our belongings in the room. To make a long story short, after hours of arguing with the front desk manager, who refused to find a manager, we were finally brought to our original hotel space, The Gallery Inn. (which was fantastic by the way)

If you're looking for a cheap place to rough it in for a few nights, and don't mind bringing your own sheets and towels this is the place for you, if not, check out the Gallery Inn

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Machipongo, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

The Allen Lee is a cheap hotel in the heart of Washington, DC. It is not at all fancy and is a little run down, but it is in a safe neighborhood and the folks at the desk are nice. If you are looking for a place to sleep while exploring, stay here. My wife was concerned that I would bring bed bugs back. Didn't happen.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Allen Lee? Share your experiences!