“Overpriced” 3 of 5 stars

2224 F St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20037 (Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End)   |
Ranked #123 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
“Overpriced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is in a very good zone: 3 blocks from the metro station and walking distance from the white house. However the rooms are really small, ugly and crumbling, nothing to do with the pictures they have on the website. They' also offer a breakfast: only bread and butter.. At least is clean. In my opinion the price is too high for what it offers (don't get me wrong is cheap but not for what it offers).
Btw no service at all.

• Stayed May 2012

123 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Cleveland, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

The minute you set eyes on this dilapidated,collapsing shack is the minute you will be welcomed to hell on earth. The exterior says it all : rusting windows,horrendously tacky neon signage and smoky,blackened windows. Oh, Where to even begin with this revolting dump? Cockroach infested rooms,flithy, unwashed, blood laced linen. A lingering, nauseating musty smell pervades every pore of this slum. Floors squeak suspiciously and threaten to crack open as you walk on them. Bathrooms are health hazards, mildew and mold fester in every crevice. EVERYTHING is virtually coated in bacteria. Piles of ancient dust layer every surface. The carpet reeks of a sharp, vinegary smell. The same carpets appear to be decaying, and any type of pathogen could leap out of it and burrow into your feet, so wear thickly layered flip flops. There is a microscopic television from 1771 available.If you can bear to lay your hands on the filthy remote, you can look forward to a wide selection of ghost channels featuring noise and black and white dots. When you have had enough, rude staff holed up at the reception desk(surrounded by copious pots of plastic flowers) will interrogate you and demand proof that you are indeed staying at the Allen Lee.

If you are brave, I dare you to take the elevator. In addition to being as filth smothered as the rest of the building, it also boasts a selection of grimy ,broken mirrors and protruding shards of glass. Caution-Don't touch it lest you slice off a part of your hand.
I had booked the Allen lee for two nights, but could only barely survive one. I moved out immediately the following morning and went to stay with a friend.

They however serve complimentary breakfast, which is the opposite of a compliment. I would not eat anything produced in this cesspool if I were you. Be warned!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Buffalo, New York, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

First let me start by stating that originally the my colleagues and I were supposed to stay in the Gallery Inn, which is owned by the same person as the Allen Lee. 48 hours before we departed for our trip we were notified that our accommodations had been switched, and after reading the reviews on trip advisor, were horrified. Going in with an open mind, we were again horrified to find that we had to share our beds which was not the accommodations we had booked. The sheets were dirty, containing pubic hair and stains, as well as the towels. When I requested a cot so that I may have my own sleeping space, I was brought one that had obviously not been changed since its last use. In the drawers and on the box spring was bed bug feces. Another room has it's window patched by using cardboard, which was located on the first floor of the hotel. On another note, a halfway home is a wonderful organization, but having laptops and electronics with doors that barely locked, my colleagues and I were extremely uncomfortable leaving our belongings in the room. To make a long story short, after hours of arguing with the front desk manager, who refused to find a manager, we were finally brought to our original hotel space, The Gallery Inn. (which was fantastic by the way)

If you're looking for a cheap place to rough it in for a few nights, and don't mind bringing your own sheets and towels this is the place for you, if not, check out the Gallery Inn

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Machipongo, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

The Allen Lee is a cheap hotel in the heart of Washington, DC. It is not at all fancy and is a little run down, but it is in a safe neighborhood and the folks at the desk are nice. If you are looking for a place to sleep while exploring, stay here. My wife was concerned that I would bring bed bugs back. Didn't happen.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Dorchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

Arrived in Washington DC - it was cold. Hotel outside appearances were very deceptive - it looks a mess!. The Allen Lee Hotel private/en suite rooms were very warm and staff welcoming.. It's a cheap hotel but clean. Lots of University eating places nearby - healthy stuff on offer - and the Metro within two hundred yards. Very well positioned for visiting all momuments and memorials as well as the Smithsonian Institute. A great affordable hotel within reach of all amenities and well worth a visit.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

I thought a lot about reviewing this honestly. Before I booked it for my young adult daughter, I called them twice. The clerk who said he was a law student at Georgetown promised me that the negative reviews were exagerrated and inaccurate. He was lovely and convinced me that ithe hotel was safe, clean, and fun for a young person. She stayed there for about nine hours. (11:00 pm to 8:00am.) The door was duct taped around its lock. There was blood on the sheets. The carpet was also duct taped. She was bitten as if a stapler went across her shoulders, face, and arms. I called them right away and they said that she brought the insects with her. She was lucky that none of them traveled with her, though she spent the next day at the laundromat. Do not believe them. I was astonished that they were so blasee about her experience.

Room Tip: go elsewhere.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Ghent, Belgium
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

My friend and I stayed at the hotel during Veterans Weekend. We arrived rather late on Friday night and although we booked our room with ensuite facilities months in advance, the guy at the front desk told us that there was only one room left in the hotel and it did not have a private bathroom.
We were very dissapointed about it, but we were to tired to discuss. We did ask him wether it would be possible to change the day after to a room with private bathroom. The guy clearly annoyed about our question replied he wouldn”t know that before the day after and said it would be really hard to do so.

The guy didn’t even apologize for the inconvience, and immeditaly went on with the payment, charging us with the rate for a room with a private bathroom. To top it all he claimed that the deposit we were charged for on our card, was only a booking fee and that the balance still had to be payed. And this while our confirmation e-mail clearly stated dat the “booking fee was none” and that there was already a 10% deposit payed. After a whole lot of discussions, trying to explain the guy the difference between a deposit & booking fee, we agreed on just paying for the first night. I was only planning on paying for a second night after talking to a manager.

So we went up to the room, using the extreme old and very noisy elevator. After that experience we decided to take the stairs during the rest of our stay. And while using the stairs, it alsays seemed like there were people sitting there all the time.
We didn’t really know why then, but after reading reviews from other previous guests, it seemed that the hotel is often used as a halfway house for women and kids. It would have been nice to know that in advance, but that wasn’t mentioned on the hotel’s website.

Once up in the room, we got even more dissapointed. Small room with a super small double bed, after we specificly asked for a twin room.
I also noticed that the rain and bugs ware already invating the wooden window frames and that the furniture in steel was all covered with a rust layer.
About the situation in the public bathrooms: hairy residues of former users.
If they want to I can give them some proper advice about how to clean a bathroom.

The next morning the same guy was at the front desk again, and we asked if the manager was available. He was like “Why do you wanna talk to him”, we replied that we wanted to talk to him about the payment details of our stay. The guy said the manager was really busy, while he was actually just talking to another guest. We said we had no problem waiting for the manager and would wait until he was ready for us.
The guy started to discuss the entire matter all over again, which resulted in the same outcome as the night before, us explaining the difference between a deposit and booking fee to him.
Luckily the manager overheared the entire thing and asked what the problem was. After explaining the problem with the deposit and booking fee, he told us we were right about the entire thing, and made sure we’d only pay what we were supposed to pay.

We were happy that everything turned out to be ok, concerning the money issues. But we would defenitley never ever stay in this hotel again. I guess the only positive thing to say about this hotel is the location in which it is in. The hotel is located in a very nice street, and when walking around in the area the facade of the hotel seriously stands out.

Room Tip: Do not stay here!!!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

Been to The Allen Lee? Share your experiences!