I agree with the prior reviewer that it's the service that's holding this property back, particularly at the Front Desk. Otherwise I really enjoyed my one-night stay!
- Great location - right off the hustle of M Street, so street noise wasn't a problem (even on the second floor!). Walking distance to anything in Georgetown.
- Comfortable room - I was upgraded to a suite and although I didn't use the sitting area, the bathroom was clean (albeit the tub was old), water pressure good, A/C worked and the bed was super comfortable.
- Value - I was on government business, and the government rate made it very affordable.
- Front Desk service. I specifically say Front Desk as I was only there for one night so didn't really do anything else at the hotel. The door men were friendly enough though, and I went to the roof-top bar to have a look and the guys up there seemed friendly, too.
My tips for dealing with the Front Desk:
- Arrive promptly at 2:30pm and be sure to make any room requests in advance via phone. I arrived at 12:30pm, which was too early. The guy took note of my room preference on a piece of paper, but said I would need to come back between 2:30-3pm, as there were no rooms available in the system. I left and came back at 3:30pm and my room preference had been given away! On top of that, they still didn't have any other rooms available to check-in to, so I ended up getting an upgrade to a suite. I was trying to get a quiet room, and in the end it was fine (I slept great in 202!) - but I spent about 15-20 minutes in total waiting at the Front Desk various times trying to get a room. The two gentlemen were nice enough about it, but they weren't really owning it from a customer service perspective as I would expect at a hotel at this price point ... it's not the Holiday Inn! They almost offered me a free drink at the roof-top bar, which would have greatly helped the situation.
- Book directly via the website - don't use 3rd party sites! I personally learned my lesson the hard way and stay away from 3rd party booking sites, but I felt horrible for the woman in front of me at check-out. She booked (and paid) via another website, and since the Hotel was full, she had a room that isn't typically used - I think something was off with the hot water or the water pressure. She gave the hotel the opportunity to make ammends at the Front Desk, but they said there was nothing they could do since she paid via a different site ... they couldn't refund. It amazed me though, that the clerk said that they don't typically use those rooms at all, but needed to since the hotel was full. In the end she was offered free parking (but she didn't have a car) and then free breakfast for 3 people.
I would stay here again if the rate was right, I would just manage my expectations on service, make sure I book directly with the hotel website, and arrive promptly for check-in!
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Tingo, BookingOdigeoWL, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your The Graham Georgetown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Monticello Hotel Washington Dc
- Monticello Washington Dc