“Sub par service, but excellent location and comfortable rooms” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Graham Georgetown

Save Saved
You added The Graham Georgetown to your Saves list
The Graham Georgetown
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1075 Thomas Jefferson Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20007 (Formerly Hotel Monticello) (Georgetown)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
$100 Credit
Ranked #54 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
Durham, North Carolina
“Sub par service, but excellent location and comfortable rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I agree with the prior reviewer that it's the service that's holding this property back, particularly at the Front Desk. Otherwise I really enjoyed my one-night stay!

The positives:
- Great location - right off the hustle of M Street, so street noise wasn't a problem (even on the second floor!). Walking distance to anything in Georgetown.
- Comfortable room - I was upgraded to a suite and although I didn't use the sitting area, the bathroom was clean (albeit the tub was old), water pressure good, A/C worked and the bed was super comfortable.
- Value - I was on government business, and the government rate made it very affordable.

The negative:
- Front Desk service. I specifically say Front Desk as I was only there for one night so didn't really do anything else at the hotel. The door men were friendly enough though, and I went to the roof-top bar to have a look and the guys up there seemed friendly, too.

My tips for dealing with the Front Desk:
- Arrive promptly at 2:30pm and be sure to make any room requests in advance via phone. I arrived at 12:30pm, which was too early. The guy took note of my room preference on a piece of paper, but said I would need to come back between 2:30-3pm, as there were no rooms available in the system. I left and came back at 3:30pm and my room preference had been given away! On top of that, they still didn't have any other rooms available to check-in to, so I ended up getting an upgrade to a suite. I was trying to get a quiet room, and in the end it was fine (I slept great in 202!) - but I spent about 15-20 minutes in total waiting at the Front Desk various times trying to get a room. The two gentlemen were nice enough about it, but they weren't really owning it from a customer service perspective as I would expect at a hotel at this price point ... it's not the Holiday Inn! They almost offered me a free drink at the roof-top bar, which would have greatly helped the situation.
- Book directly via the website - don't use 3rd party sites! I personally learned my lesson the hard way and stay away from 3rd party booking sites, but I felt horrible for the woman in front of me at check-out. She booked (and paid) via another website, and since the Hotel was full, she had a room that isn't typically used - I think something was off with the hot water or the water pressure. She gave the hotel the opportunity to make ammends at the Front Desk, but they said there was nothing they could do since she paid via a different site ... they couldn't refund. It amazed me though, that the clerk said that they don't typically use those rooms at all, but needed to since the hotel was full. In the end she was offered free parking (but she didn't have a car) and then free breakfast for 3 people.

I would stay here again if the rate was right, I would just manage my expectations on service, make sure I book directly with the hotel website, and arrive promptly for check-in!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Abdulla_Almutairi, Director of Rooms at The Graham Georgetown, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear anchmer,

Thank you for your feedback on your stay at our hotel. I am pleased to hear that the overall experience met your expectation, and I appreciate you taking the time to highlight your feedback in regards to our service levels. Please reset assured that we are taking your observations seriously and continuously retraining to ensure we provide valuable service!

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Do not hesitate to reach out to me directly if I can be of any assistance or to simply say hello.

130 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I recently stayed for 3 nights at The Graham. Great room, really spacious and good amenities. Seems strange that you have to ask for the key to your mini bar. Then each night the cleaner would remove it and give it back to reception. Slightly annoying.

Nice and cold room, the aircon was great and the wifi was free and fast enough for email.

On my first night I was told the rooftop bar was out of bounds as they had a private party. No other option was offered apart from 'have a drink in your room'. Upon leaving my room the hotel lobby was absolutely packed with the private party.

When I finally got to the roof bar the second day you couldn't fault it. Lovely views and great service.

Finally asked for a car to be ready the next morning at 6.15am as i had a train to catchup. No car was booked so I ended up walking with my luggage to find a taxi myself.

Would I return? Yes. Great rooms.
Could they improve service outside of the rooms? Absolutely. Then this place would be a gem.

Dear kingkelly77,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback about your recent stay. We are honored to have such a diligent review on our property.

Like all venues that may require reservations, The Observatory does become busy with full capacity reservations during our peak season. Due to the fact that it is an open rooftop, the weather plays a critical part in allowing hotel guests and locals from enjoying the scene and consuming a drink! I am content to hear that your experience on your second day was exceptional!

I apologize that we did not meet your expectations in ensuring you had transportation set up to the train station. Reviews such as yours allows us to be able to address the issues right away and retrain where necessary. I look forward to welcoming you back. If I can be of any assistance to you, do not hesitate to reach out to me at abdulla.almutairi@thegrahamgeorgetown.com.
Selborne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The outstanding feature of the hotel was the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff.

I was a little disappointed at first by the low key lobby but grew to appreciate it. The suite was spacious albeit with no view. The bed was extremely comfortable and the bathroom efficient and spacious. The room was a pleasant place to be. Improvements would be easier to open cupboards and a towel rail in the bathroom. Overall I liked the low key approach and the staff arranged good value transport to the Udvar-Hazy Museum at Dulles.

The location is excellent. The harbour front with its excellent dining is five minutes walk away. M-street with its shopping and restaurants is right beside the hotel with a convenient circulator bus stop that takes you into the downtown area for just $1.

The roof top bar provides a super view, particularly on the side away from the bar in the shade. The tables are often reserved but usually for clients coming later in the evening so you can use them. However, in our five days, the bar was closed for functions on two of them. I would have preferred some residents seating area.

I would come back to this hotel.

Room Tip: The higher up the hotel, the better the view I guess.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear ScubaJ0hn,

I sincerely appreciate your kind review about your recent visit to our hotel in Georgetown. Your words touched on much of what many of our guests experience while staying at our hotel and I am content to hear that your suite was to your expectations and your experience at The Observatory was super. I look forward to welcoming you back to us and feel free to reach out to me if I can be of further assistance, abdulla.almutairi@thegrahamgeorgetown.com.
Coronado, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The Graham is a wonderful boutique hotel with excellent service. Great location in the heart of Georgetown. Perfect for visiting Georgetown University and the DC sites. Easy walk to metro and all the restaurants in the area. The rooftop bar is an added bonus.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear cnswanson

It is so nice to hear that your quick summer trip to Georgetown was delight and your experience at our hotel rooftop was an added bonus. We enjoy priding ourselves in providing excellent service and work hard to excel in ensuring our guests enjoy their experience. Thank you for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback. We would love to welcome you back if you happen to be visiting our nation's capital.
Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I recently stayed at the Graham with my husband and absolutely loved it. It is in a great location and the rooms are comfortable a beautifully decorated. We don't know DC well and the staff were extremely helpful and helped us find exactly what we are looking for and get there easily. The breakfast was delicious and there is a great rooftop bar as well.

Room Tip: We had a corner suite that was great with a big bathtub
Memphis, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We spent the night to enjoy the National Fireworks and couldn't have been happier with our choice. Though we had a brief stay and did not spend much time in the room, the time we spent was luxurious. The room was larger than expected, the mattress extremely comfortable, and the bathroom pristine. The following day, we enjoyed the convenient walk to shopping and dining. The only thing to be aware of with this hotel is the adjoining parking garage has a very low ceiling, so those driving large SUVs or vans will have to park elsewhere. Hotel staff directed us to a nice, safe garage about 4 blocks over, so it wasn't much of an issue.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Manassas, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

On July 4th, 2014 at 10:00 PM I passed by this hotel. I asked to male employees of this hotel about restroom as I needed it immediately. They lied to me an said there is no restroom. Then they mumbled insulting languages which deserved themselves and their family. This hotel and its employees are lier.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Been to The Graham Georgetown? Share your experiences!