“Wonderful experience in this hotel!” 4 of 5 stars

Capitol Skyline Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10 I Street SW, Washington DC, DC 20024   |
Ranked #103 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Pompton Lakes, New Jersey
“Wonderful experience in this hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

First of all, let me single out the excellent service of Mr. Munoz , the front desk staff. He answered all my queries with a smile and willingness to help me explore Washington DC. The room that we had has a view of the Congress building and it looks awesome at night! For the reasonable price we paid, it surely surpass my expectations. The hotel is clean and chic. My only not so satisfying experience is the breakfast, for $11.99 breakfast, I expected bacon in the menu. The parking fee is expensive for $25 a day. I will definitely book in this hotel again when we go back to DC. I am a happy customer over all.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 7th floor with a view of the Congress
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
CapskyGM, General Manager at Capitol Skyline Hotel, responded to this review, May 18, 2014
Thank you for your kind comments, specifically regarding Justin Munoz, our supervisor. He is a great asset and always goes above and beyond for our guests.

In regards to our breakfast, I am sorry that we did not have bacon. We tend to change some of the items throughout the year to offer some variety. We have offered it in the past.

Although $25.00 for overnight parking may seem high, in fact it is very reasonable by Washington, DC standards. If you book through the website next time, we do offer a discount on our parking.

Thanks again for staying with us and we look forward to having you stay again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Turkish first
Northern Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

We booked to stay here for one night with our kids. Wasnt too hard to find, but as we arrived late (11pm) the parking to the hotel garage was closed - or so we thought. I went into reception as my husband and kids waited outside in our hire car to ask about parking. $25 & tax = $30 per night to use the hotel car park. Was disgusted at the extortionate rates to hotel guests. The male receptionist was snooty and didnt sympathize about parking rates (they are well trained!) Room was strangely dark decor, grey walls, blinds did not function correctly, the room smelt of smoke, the bathroom was tiny, if you sat on toilet and someone else tried to come in, the door would bang your knees. The road noise was loud, sirens etc going off. In the morning we rang to reception to ask about breakfast as we had not been told by reception at arrival about breakfast hours or location of dining room. Will never stay again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
CapskyGM, General Manager at Capitol Skyline Hotel, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Thank you for staying with us. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. I will speak with our housekeeping department regarding the smell you detected. In regards to the guest rooms themselves, I am surprised since typically we are told there is ample space in the rooms.

Regarding parking in the Washington, DC area, I m sorry that you felt your charge was high. In fact, we are one of the most economical when it comes to overnight parking. Over night parking in Washington, DC averages around $40-45 dollars.

If you would like to discuss your stay further with us, please contact us at info@capitolskyline.com.
Warsaw, Poland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

I spent a week at the Capitol Skyline Hotel during my business trip to Washington DC.

Location: although the hotel is not located in an immediate vicinity of the centre, it is well-connected with all main city attractions. Subway –a 10-min walk; taxi drive – few minutes; in addition, the hotel offers a free shuttle service to the National Mall and the White House (morning), and to various bars, restaurants (evening).

Rooms are spacious, bright and clean.
Breakfasts - ok, but rather monotonous….

Overall I’m very happy with my choice. Good value, good service.

Room Tip: Upper floors with Capitol view. :-)
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay. We are very proud of the hotel, its location and of course how comfortable it is.

Thank you for staying with us and should your travels ever bring you to the Washington, DC area in the future, we'd love to have you stay with us again.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

A great experience, clean, good attendants, I like decoration inspired in presidents of USA!
The bead is too soft for people with column problems, but for me, was very good!
Near the main attractions (about U$ 11 to 15 to every taxi trip)!
A good choice!

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your kind comments. We were very happy to see that you recognized the friendliness of the staff and the great location of the hotel.

We'd love to have you stay with us again should you ever visit Washington, DC.
Prague, Czech Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

If I may, dear Daffany W, please ask you friend to try for few minutes that bed, it will make her feel as a Queen no matter the canoe aspect :) As for the pool, c'mon, why should they clean it now, the swimming season didn't start yet and it's not covered!! It should have been expected by your friend in this weather when she made the booking.For different services choose different hotels, that's tourists motto! ;)
Now....my story....
Me and my boyfriend had a 2 days trip through Washington DC at the middle of March,but barely now I have found the time to post this review...We made the reservation through Booking.com website and it worked out to be the perfect choice as EVERYTHING WAS GREAT!!!
The following are some of my positive notes:
- the personnel at the reception desk who procedeed with our check-in and check-out quite fast
- the bohemian atmosphere this hotel has (a note of romantism as I like, with some dark red around :D)
- big comfortable beds, clean bedsheets and towels, clean enough bathroom and furniture (no need for everything to spark)
- nice Environment's Protection messages, smart US thematic with pictures reflecting presidents to remind you about the importance the city has
- not noisy at all, few streets distance to all touristic objectives we planned seeing (we never took hotel's shuttle even if it was a plus point for the hotel,we wanted to check everything by walking few hours daily)
- heating worked perfectly (a bit noisy,as it's old system, but not something not to rezist to)
ETC.
From minuses I could count only the fact that:
- we found only one hypermarket and one restaurant in the area and I am used to have them at each corner usually (but this was one of this holiday's charm, right? discovering new world, getting out of what we are used with).
Haven't had time to try their own restaurant...maybe next time, as when back to Washington DC, I'll definetelly choose again this hotel!!!
Wish you all holidays as FairyTales!
Natalia

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
CapskyGM, General Manager at Capitol Skyline Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Thank you very much for your kind words regarding your stay.

We very much appreciate that you recognized how great our staff is as well as how clean and comfortable your room was. Our staff takes great pride in their work, ensuring our guests satisfaction. I'm very happy to say that many of our housekeeping staff in particular have been with us many years.

I am sorry that we did not get a chance to share with you the many restaurants in the area which are less than 10 minutes away from the hotel. In just the past 2 years there are probably close to 10 great new restaurants which have just opened up.

Thanks again for staying with us and commenting positively about your stay and staff.

We look forward to having you stay with us in the future.
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

I have a friend that is staying in the hotel now... She is very dissapointed and emailing me for help. Sadly all hotel rooms in the area are booked. Through time spent on facetime, she shared with me that her bed is shaped as a canoe... and the pool is green. She could possibly use the canoe to float across the pool. I'm sorry that I cannot help her make this a better experience!

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
CapskyGM, General Manager at Capitol Skyline Hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Thank you for your comments and we are sorry that your friend did not enjoy their stay. Our apologies for the bed and we will have housekeeping look in to it immediately. We take our bedding very serious knowing that our guests need a great rest. Ironically we get great comments about our guests and their rests.

Regarding the pool, this is not the norm. It is our off season and during this time, we TYPICALLY keep it blue. However; in the last several weeks, we have been doing extensive work on the pool getting it ready for the summer We have purposely kept the pool this way since we will be draining it this coming weekend and preparing it for the opening day, Saturday, May 24th.

If you would like to have your friend discuss their concerns with us further, please have them contact us at info@capitolskyline.com
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

Just finished a 3 night stay at capitol skyline. We were a tad apprehensive before coming as there are some mixed reviews, but we enjoyed our stay here. Pleasant staff, good location and value for money. It's much nicer than it looks from the outside!

Value - we got a great deal on booking.com, including taxes it came in at just over $110 a night.

Rooms - couldn't describe as luxurious (and wouldn't expect to be for the money) but clean, spacious and very comfy beds. Little noisy from road but didn't affect us too much.

Location - around a ten minute walk to capitol south metro stop, took us around 20-25 mins to walk from washington monument. Courtesy shuttle bus very useful to save time/money. 5 minute walk to nationals stadium. Around $10 taxi to centre.

Restaurants nearby - saw a review before we left lamenting the lack of nearby restaurants. There is a McDonalds right opposite but stroll a little further for great food. Two places we ate at (and loved) - Justin's café and tortilla coast.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us and commenting on your stay.

We very much appreciate that you noticed the friendliness of the staff as well as the location. We are extremely proud of our staff and very happy with the location, especially only being 5 blocks from the Capitol!!

We do like to consider ourselves a hotel that has a tremendous amount of value to it. As you mentioned, our pricing is typically very competitive. We like to think that we are the best value in town.

Thank you again and we look forward to you staying with us should you be in Washington, DC again.

Been to Capitol Skyline Hotel? Share your experiences!