“Nice Hotel with basic amenity” 3 of 5 stars

Capitol Skyline Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10 I Street SW, Washington DC, DC 20024   |
Ranked #102 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
Hartford, Connecticut
“Nice Hotel with basic amenity”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

We have selected this hotel on account of its proximity to the Capitol. You will walk to Capitol building in just 10 min walk. While it may not be the fanciest hotel, it's front desk is very accommodating and easy to work with. You have to pay for every service including TV in the room. There is no coffee machine in the room. Free shuttle was out of service when we stayed. However our room is clean and specious. Bed sheets & towels are very clean. Overnight parking rate is $25 plus tax per night which is of very high proportion compared to room rate. You will get the basic room for the price that you will pay to stay here.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
CapskyGM, General Manager at Capitol Skyline Hotel, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
Thank you for your comments about your most recent stay at our hotel.

We very much appreciate you recognizing how accommodating our staff is as well as the great location we have.

We hope to see you again when returning to Washington, DC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Turkish first
Kcmo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

While it may not be the fanciest hotel, it's by far the most accommodating and easy to work with. For large groups I highly recommend. We had a very large and complicated month-long project and they dealt with our craziness with kindness and respect.

• Stayed December 2013
Thank you for your kind comments regarding how helpful and accommodating we were during your group's stay.

Although, like many other hotels, we are not perfect in everything we do, we do try to encourage our staff to be flexible and very accommodating with our guests as much as possible knowing that our customer service will set us apart from many other hotels in the area.

Should your company have more business in the Washington, DC area we would love to have you stay with us.
Lagos, Nigeria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

Had selected the hotel on account of proximity to the Capitol to enable easy touring and connection to DC landmarks, having just arrived from Atlanta. While I couldn't get a 3rd floor non-smoking room requested, had to make do with another on the 2nd floor. First thing that strikes one is the age of this hotel, well over 50years! The antique style wood furniture completes the story though made up by the large size of the room. Heating was quite poor as it took forever to heat up the room in the 2 cold nights lodged.
Swimming pool?--forget it. Was shut down long before my arrival.
Breakfast buffet menu didn't give much choice at the price quoted. If you care for "fast food" there is a McDonalds a short walk away.
There is a gift shop downstairs to pick up souvenirs.
Overall, it isn't a budget hotel for the services you get.

Room Tip: Rooms on the approach side(S Capitol str) could get noisy at night on account of traffic.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for sharing your comments about your most recent stay with us. Yes, the building is older, designed by the famous architect, Morris Lapidus. Although some may deem the furnishings dated, we take great pride in maintaining the overall condition and cleanliness of the rooms. As for the heating, we have already asked our engineering department to take a look at your specific room. Our pool, rated #1 in Washington DC for the past 4 years is only seasonal, Memorial day through Labor day. I am sorry you were not aware, however; it is posted on our website. If you would like to discuss further, please contact us at info@capitolskyline.com.
Saipan, Mariana Islands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

Stayed for six nights. Rooms are average, however the beds are very comfortable and believe wjen i say i slept well. Very close to the Capitol, also there is a small resturant in the lobby area. If your looking at saving a little and willing to take the Metro you may consider the Capitol Skyline. Special thank to Justin for hard work making our stay great.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments about your most recent stay and specifically about Justin, our NEWLY APPOINTED FRONT DESK SUPERVISOR. He has been with us for a couple of years and does an outstanding job with our guests and their needs.

We also very much appreciate your comments regarding the comfort of our beds and the location. These are two items we get complemented on time and time again.

We hope to see you again soon.
Montclair, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

First and foremost, I have read management's response to reviews below and am stunned by some of the things that have been written, specifically, the comment that the wall hv/ac units work incredibly well.

If you are going to book at this hotel, you need to know that is not a true statement, at least not in the room that we had.

In DC for one night, I stayed at the Capital with my boyfriend as we were seeing a show at the Arena Stage and this hotel was on their website as recommended.

Two good comments: the rates are very good, but absolutely in line with what you get. The bed was very comfortable.

Now that that's out of the way...

Our room was designated as a non-smoking room but the walls and curtains held the smell of smoke from days gone by. The room was musty so we turned on the hv/ac unit (we like a cooler room in any case), and it sounded as if a chicken was somehow trapped in the workings, being rattled around from stem to stern. We set the unit to high at the coolest temp possible, and the sound was too loud to sleep (lowering it to the middle setting made a minimal change to the volume), and the room never cooled down. At best, the temp felt like a warm breeze which, unlike on a lovely spring day, was not remotely soothing or cooling. (It is important to note as well that even on a high floor, the sound from the street was very loud. I lived in NYC for 25 years so am accustomed to street noise - this was louder than NYC. If you don't like street noise, you will not be happy.)

The lampshade by the bed had a tear in it. (Picture attached)

The bathtub had a signficant amount of the lining missing. (Picture attached)

The decor is the decor. I think management is being a bit defensive when people say that its cheesy. It is. It feels like cosmetic upgrades to a building that really needs a great deal of an overhaul, but my criticism about the establishment is not because of the decoration, nor do I think that decoration per se should keep someone from staying at a hotel. I book the types of hotels that I think I'll enjoy, it doesn't have to do with the sofa chosen for the lobby.

Here's the crux of the problem.

When we arrived at the hotel at 1:30 or so and I went to the front desk to check in, I was first greeted by someone who told me that the person working the desk was downstairs in the bathroom and that I'd have to wait for about 5 minutes. The attitude was that I was somehow interrupting a conversation, and there was no apology that I was potentially being inconvenienced. When the woman came back, I said that I was there to check-in, and the first thing that she said was "if you check in early, you have to pay an additional night".

I have done a lot of travelling and have stayed in a lot of hotels, and at no time has anyone ever said that to me when I was checking in for a room that I'd booked for that night. I understand that there is a check-in time, but who would ever suggest that if I arrived a couple of hours before the official check in time that I'd have to pay for an additional night. I was stunned. I explained that I didn't need to get into a room but that I wanted to check in, park the car, and leave my luggage. I was told that I could do that, but I'd be assigned a queen bed room because a king bed room wasn't available - when I came back, AT FOUR O'CLOCK, I could get a new room assigned. I was never offered the ability to leave the luggage instead of leaving it locked in my car. I was treated as if I were getting in her way.

The hospitality I was greeted with was abysmal.

That being said, when we did come back at four o'clock, the woman behind the counter was lovely and helpful and courteous, a very welcome change from the day staff.

Management would be well-served to read all of these reviews and take them to heart rather than trying to defend an establishment that, to my eye, is falling or has fallen into a static situation. The location is perfect for the Arena and they could be the hotel to stay at - not because it's cheap, but because it's wonderful.

Right now... they're just cheap.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
CapskyGM, General Manager at Capitol Skyline Hotel, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Capitol Skyline Hotel. I will certainly address your observations about the guest rooms with our Director of Housekeeping and Director of engineering. As a side note, we are currently receiving quotations in order to have many of our tubs refinished. I would also like to apologize for your experience at the front desk. I will make it a point to remind the staff that they can in fact store someone's luggage even if the guest room requested is not available. As for the "additional night charge", I do apologize as that is NOT OUR POLICY.
We appreciate the candid feedback our guests share, however; recognize the fact that in some cases, further explanations are warranted.

We will continue to strive to ensure the hotel is clean and of course friendly listening to our guests and making whatever changes we can to improve.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

Booked a room here, checked in went to get gas & some beers I come back & my girlfriend lays down in the bed & instantly had bed bugs crawling on her! They wanted to give us another room, I was like your kidding right I want out of the hotel & a refund on my credit card the guy at the front desk tells me that the manager wasn't around that he couldn't check us out & to call the next day (veteran's day). I call the next day to talk to the manager & get voicemail so had to call the next day & finally get the manager only to b told we don't care if the room has bugs or not you stayed here for an hour & you have to pay we aren't reimbursing you a dime, nice to know that this hotel screws Veteran's. I ended up at another hotel for more money they didn't even offer to pay that hotel bill.

I WOULD NEVER RECOMMENDED THIS PLACE 2 ANYONE EVER!!!!

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
CapskyGM, General Manager at Capitol Skyline Hotel, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Thank you for your comments and apologies in advance as to your incident. That being said, I am very confident that our staff was that insensitive to your concerns as on the contrary, we are more often than not complimented about our staff. Based on our records, we did in fact check your room and did not find anything related to bedbugs. We have an extremely comprehensive and professional approach to all "pest control" related matters and address those issues immediately. Please do keep in mind that even in the event of possible bedbugs, it by no means suggests that the hotel itself is infested. These sorts of incidents happen at all hotels at all levels.

We very much appreciate all of our patrons and are happy to say that we have many veterans working in our establishment and that not only on veterans day, but many days throughout the year, our staff is recognized for the great work they do for us and what they have done for this country.

If you would like to discuss this matter further, please do contact us through our info email located on our website.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

The hotel seems like a very old building that they are trying to make trendy but it comes off a little cheesy. The front desk guys are not helpful at all and seem more like you are bothering them and they do not want to be there.the was okay, has an old time AC wall unit type of system. TV and bed were nice! No coffee maker in the room. No shuttle to the union station.we are thankful we only stayed there one night.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments regarding your most recent stay. I will certainly address the staff issue at our desk as we have always taken great pride in our service levels which more often than not is reflected in our reviews. As for the décor of the hotel, we understand that it is not to everyone's taste, however; very often we receive numerous compliments about the "coolness" of the lobby. Yes, our HVAC units are the wall mounted units, but because of a very strict preventive maintenance program, they work very well. If you would like to discuss further, please do contact us at the info email located on our website.