“Nice hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #101 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
NJ
“Nice hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Booked a 3 night mini trip to wrap up our Big Florida/ Bahama cruise vacation since we had a few days left before back to school. I booked with Bookit.com Without reading any reviews from trip advisor. After booking with no refund I checked this sight for reviews. After reading some of the negative post's about it I was very worried. We arrived about 1;00 pm on Sunday 8/24 hoping they may have a room ready. No luck but they locked up our luggage and we hopped in a cab and spent time at the air and space. The cab was less than 10 for 3 of us. around 330 we walked 20 min to China town ( a tip from the locals ). Happened to find Clydes ! Awesome but more on that later. Took a cab back to Skyline agian around 8 bucks. Yes pool party was ending, Nice young party crowd, ahh to be young again :)
All of the staff where very polite. I can Mention Marco the lifegaurd, the woman in the gift shop, security girl, and the woman in the restaruant remember my order every morning.. Would stay again for the price! The only thing wrong is there is not much around but a 5-10 cab ride is a deal ! Wish the gate to the pool was open 24 hrs just for a place to sit outside and have my coffee and smoke ! Give it a try.. not bad I promise..

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Turkish first
Ypsilanti, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Im rating this EXCELLENT because while my kids are young adults, my son is special needs. They missed their connection in DC to come back home to Michigan. With me being in Michigan, I was very worried about what they were going to do until they could catch the next train home. Sandy went above and beyond to making sure that they had a safe place to stay. She went even as far as to call me and tell me that they had gotten something to eat and were settled in their room and ask if there was anything else she could do. Which eased my worries about them being in a strange city by themselves. In todays society its great to know there are still good people out in the world. Sandy, Thank u!!
p.s. my daughter said the room was nice and the pool was awesome and wished they had their luggage(but that was on its way home)

1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I'm giving this place a terrible because I want to make sure people see my review. We came with our kids in August because the pool, price and reviews indicated family-friendly. What no one mentioned is that Sat and Sun all summer, they have "pool parties." For $10, non-guests come and fill the pool area with a bump and grind club scene that includes very loud music, drunken 20-somethings, ridiculous thongs, etc. Sexy for young couples I'm sure, but completely inappropriate for kids. Thus the hotel guests, which included many families, stayed away from the hotel's principal feature in droves - I saw zero kids out there. The rest is picayune but consistent with this inconsiderate managerial style: parking garage has key access but one of the doors is stuck open, restaurant has short hours, rooms were not cleaned properly, failure to replace used drinking glasses, carpets dirty near doorways, shampoo but no conditioner, etc. Location is not bad, but note that it's an industrial area in SW Washington adjoining I-395. All in all, there is a reason it's so cheap, and I would never come with kids on a trip which includes a weekend.

• Stayed August 2013
CapskyGM, General Manager at Capitol Skyline Hotel, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your most recent stay. Our pool parties are in fact very popular for the hotel. We have had these events for the past 4 years and we are happy to say our pool was voted as DC's #1 pool four years in a row. That being said, we also do understand that the pool events on weekends are not to everyone's liking and for this we are sorry. Our parties are in fact indicated on our website along with our mentioning of the weekends. In regards to your many other comments, again, I do apologize and will most certainly discuss with all of our department heads. We take great pride in both our housekeeping and engineering departments and get numerous compliments about the comfort and cleanliness of our guest rooms and hotel. We are happy to see that you mentioned the location of the hotel. Not industrial at all, the area is booming with very high end condominiums, restaurants and other retail shops. We are in fact LESS THEN a mile to the Air and space museum and only 5 blocks from the Capital. Thank you again for your comments and we hope you allow us another opportunity to have you stay with us.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

u stayed a couple off times and one particular staff member stood out she was courteous, friendly, and had a great work ethic thanks sandy for making my stay feel like i never left home. i arrived after hours because i was on call at work i was tired so i was already grumpy but when i walked in the hotel the atmosphere was so peacefully and beautiful it was like a contempary tranquillity room.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

All the staff were very friendly - especially the front office manager & Justin who were both very helpful!
The beds were incredibly comfortable & the pool was also nice!!
The only down fall was the hotel isn't really near any shops etc if you need something although the hotel does offer the essentials should you need it.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

Spent 3 nights and had a great stay. The staff was incredible and very attentive. Breakfast staff worked very hard to keep the breakfast area stocked, even when a mass of humanity invaded all at once. Great breakfast for the price. Front desk was on top of whatever we needed. A light went out over the bathroom sink and it was fixed by the time we got back that evening.Nice pool area to relax, it included a bar and grill.

Hotel is very conveniently located right off 395. There are bunch of restaurants, a safe way grocery store and a few fast food restaurants very close by. It takes about 20 minutes to walk to museums area. The hotel was quieter than expected, which made for restful nights.

The hotel seems to be managed very well but could use some renovation for the rooms and the hallways. Rooms were dated and hallway carpet was worn definitely needs some work but again everything was clean and neat.

• Stayed May 2013
Telford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We booked 3 rooms here for our 3 night stay in Washington. I am not sure what we thought of it if honest. On the plus side, the beds were really comfy, the view of the Capitol was stunning and the shuttle bus a great addition to the stay. The subway was within easy reach and if you asked for help some staff were really helpful - others were not.
The main 'issues' were the fact the room wasn't ready at 4pm so we had to stay by the pool, where music blared for a pool party and we couldn't get in it as there was soon to be a synchronised swim competition. Once in the room the decor was very 1970's. The housekeeping was baffling. They would make one bed and half make the next. They didn't take rubbish away! On our final day we left at 9am. The cleaner had parked her trolley outside the room from 8am and when we were in the second room wanted to know if she could clean our room. This seemed very rude and summed it up.
If you want cheap, comfy bed and plan to be out sightseeing then use this hotel. If you want a restful hotel and a laze by the pool then don't!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Capitol building - makes the stay worth it