“Second stay at this hotel” 4 of 5 stars

You added Capitol Skyline Hotel to your Saves list
Capitol Skyline Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10 I Street SW, Washington DC, DC 20024-4299   |
Ranked #104 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
“Second stay at this hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

We've stayed at this hotel before so apparently we like it. I like that it's kind of secluded we had a nice view. Check in was a breeze. The room experience was nice too. Everything was clean & in its place.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
CAPDIRECTOR, Front Office Manager at Capitol Skyline Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
We wanted to thank you for staying with us again! We are extremely happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that you enjoyed our wonderful view of the nation's capital. We look forward to you staying with us again!

673 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Turkish first
Olean, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

My wife and I take one or two trips every year and have become quite adept at finding lodgings that are both affordable and accommodating. Still, while planning our first visit to Washington DC this year, I grew increasingly discouraged by the high prices for hotels that seemed to be in a good location for those who were interested in exploring our nation's capital. So when I came across the Capitol Skyline the first thing that made me happy was the price; it was around $89 per night -- which doesn't seem that cheap until you compare it to other DC hotels.

I read some reviews and checked out their website before deciding to book it.

My wife and I stayed there from the 17th to 22nd October, 2012 and I think it was a good decision. That being said, I'd like to mention a few things that I'm sure would help readers make up their minds very quickly about the hotel.

1) Neighborhood - Some reviewers said that this was a "not so good" neighborhood. The truth is, it was just fine. We walked back to our hotel from the metro every night in the dark (8-9pm) and there were always other people walking or jogging along. On every one of our walks we saw at least two squad cars patrolling the area. It was well lit and the locals we spoke to said they have no concerns about this neighborhood.

2) Location - While we could see the Capitol building from our room (you can from most of the rooms), it's not close enough to want to make the trek to see the sights. That's where you'd want to take advantage of the hotel's courtesy shuttle and DC's top class metro system.

3) Shuttle - A shuttle departs from out front the hotel every half hour from 7:30am through 10:30am. And again in the afternoon for a couple hours. They stop at Capitol Hill, The White House and the Washington Monument. The shuttle is one-way (you have to find your way back to the hotel). The shuttle driver we had was from Egypt (same guy everyday) and gave us bad directions every time we asked for it. He also played Egyptian music all the time -- which did get to be a little annoying. If I had anything to complain about it would be him. On one occasion my wife had forgotten her jacket in our room and went to retrieve it. She was getting in the elevator to head back down as the driver pulled up (I had her on the phone). I told him she was on her way down and would be only a minute -- he literally waited 30 seconds before telling me to catch the next shuttle. He was pulling away just as she exited the front door -- so we ended up having to stand around for half an hour because the driver couldn't wait 15 seconds more.

4) Metro - The subway system in DC is easy to navigate and efficient. The two closest ones to the hotel are Capitol South (15 - 18 minutes walk) and The Navy Yard Metro (10 - 12 minutes walk). The Navy Yard is not only closer, it's also an easier walk; which makes a huge difference after being on your feet all day. The fare from as far away as Foggy Bottom is only about $3.10 per person. A taxi can cost substantially more.

5) Hotel - The hotel isn't new, but it's clean and charming. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. We got to the hotel at about 7:45am and they let us check in. When we were leaving they held our bags for us (our flight was at 10:30pm) while we enjoyed our last day on the town. In reviews I read before, some people complained about sirens from the nearby station. Honestly, we heard them, but they never disrupted our sleep or really bothered us at all. In fact, we heard more sirens around the National Mall and Capitol Hill. What did seem a little disruptive was when we could here people going by in the hall. The walls do seem a bit thin -- but disruptions were so infrequent that it never really mattered that much to us.

6) Restaurant - The hotel restaurant is a bit expensive and other than the McDonald's across the street, there aren't too many options for dining close by. My advice -- leave early enough to have breakfast at your destination and have dinner before you return.

7) Pool - It was too cold, so we never used it.

All-in-all this was a nice hotel (worth the "discounted" price). Just plan your visit carefully.

Room Tip: If given the option, choose a room close to or on the top floor -- and always close to the elevator.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for the feedback! We are disappointed to hear about the incident that happened with our shuttle bus and we will address this issue so that it will not happen again in the future. We are however happy to hear that you found our hotel rooms, staff and location to be accommodating. We hope that the next time you make a trip to the DC area you choose to stay with us again.
Quebec City, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

My boyfriend and I went to Washington DC for a trip in my schoolbreak. He chose this hotel via Blackberry travel. The clerk didn't know that we had the breakfast included and we had to show him on the phone. Those 3 breakfasts weren't good at all. There's not a lot of choice. We can't eat apples or bananas which is sad because I don't like any kind of melon! The bread is dry and there is only apple jam no strawberry or raspberry! For the room, it was okay, ours was a bit smaller because it was near the elevator. The location is not bad if you like to walk like us. Capitol is about 20-25 minutes if you walk fast. The neighborhood is okay. I don,t think that we'll come back here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the comments. On behalf of the Capitol Skyline Hotel we are sorry to hear you did not find out breakfast buffet to be enjoyable. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the location of our hotel and the short walk to get to the Capitol. We hope that if you do decide to stay in the DC area again you give us another chance to provide you with the service we are known for.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

There are only 3 things good I have to say about this hotel, 1) The cleansiness is very good 2) The location made it easy for us to visit the tourist sites and the people at the reception were very nice. Thats all, but I have A LOT of bad to say about it.

My advise in going to Washington DC when it comes to asking what area is safe and whats not (and yes EVERY city has good and bad) is to do ALL your research before coming because you absolutely can NOT ask the people "is this area safe", at least not at this hotel, they get VERY angry and offended, and this happened to me twice in a row (the very moment I arrived in the hotel and I even mentioned how there are good and bad areas in every city). First time I asked this arts lady and straight away budged in said something like "your be fine, how about just keep out of the NE part, how about that" very sharp and rudely (and I think also she said something about why are you here then), so I thought to myself (I'll ask someone better if I am not going to be answered nicely) so I asked the security guard who was standing around (judging the fact he is a security guard so I thought he would be most helpful) and he says "yeah noones going to kill you or hurt you or anything" and I says "are you ok" and he goes "yeah Im just a bit ofended you know..." as if I had that intention to upset them, they both KNEW that every city has good and bad areas and that I was a foreigner (a tourist that is, not a immigrant) who knew nothing about it AND the act of being angry and being offended was all put on (me ending up throughout the whole vacation holding my breath) I have travelled to the USA 8 times now and every time I asked about low and high crime areas and everybody in every place told me and helped me out, unlike this hotel! I have crap like this in the UK time after time even directed at me and we all get fed up with it, I did not save up all that money to USA to experience another UK attitude.

Other complaints is that as soon as I arrived, I went up to the swimming pool, and it was all set out which looked like there was going to be a party (ok I understand its a conference hotel), but I asked if I could go in the pool and apparently its only for people in this "Arts" thing, I could not use the pool the whole time I was there and when the people from the arts group came, you could not MOVE in the lobby because it was crowded so much so that we felt that we werent guests anymore, the elevator was unmovable at times and they were all drunk, (I mean VERY DRUNK) you could not even stand outside in the entrance at night without the crowd screaming about next to you, therefore unless you were toat least put up with the outside bit, you are limited to your hotel room because you were in the crowds way allthe time (you can tell the body language when you walked past). The only nice people there really was, was the people in the reception (they were VERY nice) but the rest, I would go as far to say that they need to know how to respond to tourists better, even when we were waiting in the lobby for the airport shuttle, the people both inside and outside couldnt seem to get rid of us quick enough.

Apart from all that, there was nothing really in the hotel shopwise apart from a gift shop (even there, there wasnt much that was worth buying) apart from the hotel resturant in which we had to book to get in, we had to live on McDonalds on the other corner of the road.

I do sound like a complaining Brit here, but I would by far consider it worth complaining when you have spent all that money to live your holiday like that.

I would never again in my life waste a single dollar, pound or euro on even USING this hotel even if I won the lottery, let alone staying, and I would not recommend others to either!

DISGUSTING!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
We are extremely upset to hear about the service you received while staying with our hotel. We are extremely sorry because we pride ourselves on providing excellent service to all of our guest. We are sorry you felt crowded due to our art fair the hotel was hosting, in the future we will try to advise guest about upcoming events the hotel is hosting in advance so they can plan their trips properly. Once again we are sorry about the service you received and we can only hope that you would stay with us again so that we can provide you with the service that all of our guest deserve.
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

My partner and I were having a stressful day from preparing for Hurricane Sandy from waiting in line in our car for 5 sand bags for 3 1/2 hours, packing, preparing our apartment, etc. We booked at another hotel who was actually closer to us and were utterly disappointed and grossed out and did not stay. Then, we came across Capitol Skyline Hotel also near our apartment and just a great location. Upon check in the gentlemen at the reception desk, Pablo truly made my partner and myself very happy and has shown us the best, most GENUINE customer service. From arrival though he was busy and working alone it seemed, he was simply very kind. He even upgraded us to a suite for the night for our troubles. He did not have to do this. We will remember this for a long time. I hope management recognize him and realize what a great asset he is; a great future is in store for him at this pace. Thank you Pablo!

Original room 416, upgraded suite 434.

Room Tip: Fantastic service, location, genuine hospitality.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
CAPDIRECTOR, Front Office Manager at Capitol Skyline Hotel, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
We are extremely happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! Thank you for all the positive comments. We look forward to having you stay with us again!
LA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

The hotel managers are clearly watching their spreadsheet. THere is, basically, no staff. The restaurant at night is run by one really nice but clearly alone guy. At breakfast, there are 2 people and maybe, I don't know, 30, 40 guests. THey waited for a $14 buffet but for most of an hour, all they had to choose from was stale eggs, toast and a few bagels. The people who work at this hotel are lovely but horribly exploited; they simply cannot cope with the number of people or the demands made on them. This isn't the first 'Flying Dutchman' hotel I've stayed in but I hope it's the last.
The other thing people won't tell you is it is a poor location. I should have known when the cab driver told me about its awful past. It is better now and the walk to the Metro is only about 4 blocks - not that anyone is around to tell you that. But unless/until you figure that out, you are stuck a VERY long way from anything you want to say or do. It may say Washington DC: truth is, you're way out there.
I think this hotel is mis-marketed and badly run. It doesn't need to be that way. It needs some good management that cares (what a shocking concept) and a few extra people to do the ridiculously valiant work that the few people here do do.
Also - it would not be a revolution in hotel management if the bookstorse stocked a guide to Washington DC. A good one would be nice, of course. But any one would be a great leap forward.
Who runs these places?

Room Tip: You can ask for smoke-free but go whistle. The whole place STINKS of smoke.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
We are sorry to hear you feel our hotel is understaffed. Our hotel is within a 10 minute walk to the Capitol and only 3 blocks to the closest metro station, this makes it fairly easy to get to all the main sights you would like to see in DC. We also offer a courtesy shuttle that will bring you into DC during the morning hours. We offer maps and guides at the front desk and also will guide you to plan your trip to the nation’s capital. Once again I would like to apologize for any inconvenience that may have occurred during your stay with us.
München, Deutschland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

All in all we were quite satisfied with the hotel but there were a few things missing to reach a good overall rating. First we had a bug in our hotel room, better to say in the basin, things like this could happen but they should not. The Capitol Skyline is close to downtown and National Gallery area but to reach the train/subway you need to go through a low-medium housing area.
The service was very good especially by the concierge who was all the time very helpful.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
We are glad to hear you enjoyed the service and location of our hotel! You are correct when you say things like the incident in the basin should not happen, and we assure it will not happen again. We hope that when you make your next trip to DC we hope you stay with us again!

Been to Capitol Skyline Hotel? Share your experiences!