“not at all a tourist-friendly hotel ESPECIALLY when it comes to asking if an area is safe to walk down!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Capitol Skyline Hotel

Save Saved
You added Capitol Skyline Hotel to your Saves list
Capitol Skyline Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10 I Street SW, Washington DC, DC 20024-4299   |
Ranked #99 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
Nottingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

There are only 3 things good I have to say about this hotel, 1) The cleansiness is very good 2) The location made it easy for us to visit the tourist sites and the people at the reception were very nice. Thats all, but I have A LOT of bad to say about it.

My advise in going to Washington DC when it comes to asking what area is safe and whats not (and yes EVERY city has good and bad) is to do ALL your research before coming because you absolutely can NOT ask the people "is this area safe", at least not at this hotel, they get VERY angry and offended, and this happened to me twice in a row (the very moment I arrived in the hotel and I even mentioned how there are good and bad areas in every city). First time I asked this arts lady and straight away budged in said something like "your be fine, how about just keep out of the NE part, how about that" very sharp and rudely (and I think also she said something about why are you here then), so I thought to myself (I'll ask someone better if I am not going to be answered nicely) so I asked the security guard who was standing around (judging the fact he is a security guard so I thought he would be most helpful) and he says "yeah noones going to kill you or hurt you or anything" and I says "are you ok" and he goes "yeah Im just a bit ofended you know..." as if I had that intention to upset them, they both KNEW that every city has good and bad areas and that I was a foreigner (a tourist that is, not a immigrant) who knew nothing about it AND the act of being angry and being offended was all put on (me ending up throughout the whole vacation holding my breath) I have travelled to the USA 8 times now and every time I asked about low and high crime areas and everybody in every place told me and helped me out, unlike this hotel! I have crap like this in the UK time after time even directed at me and we all get fed up with it, I did not save up all that money to USA to experience another UK attitude.

Other complaints is that as soon as I arrived, I went up to the swimming pool, and it was all set out which looked like there was going to be a party (ok I understand its a conference hotel), but I asked if I could go in the pool and apparently its only for people in this "Arts" thing, I could not use the pool the whole time I was there and when the people from the arts group came, you could not MOVE in the lobby because it was crowded so much so that we felt that we werent guests anymore, the elevator was unmovable at times and they were all drunk, (I mean VERY DRUNK) you could not even stand outside in the entrance at night without the crowd screaming about next to you, therefore unless you were toat least put up with the outside bit, you are limited to your hotel room because you were in the crowds way allthe time (you can tell the body language when you walked past). The only nice people there really was, was the people in the reception (they were VERY nice) but the rest, I would go as far to say that they need to know how to respond to tourists better, even when we were waiting in the lobby for the airport shuttle, the people both inside and outside couldnt seem to get rid of us quick enough.

Apart from all that, there was nothing really in the hotel shopwise apart from a gift shop (even there, there wasnt much that was worth buying) apart from the hotel resturant in which we had to book to get in, we had to live on McDonalds on the other corner of the road.

I do sound like a complaining Brit here, but I would by far consider it worth complaining when you have spent all that money to live your holiday like that.

I would never again in my life waste a single dollar, pound or euro on even USING this hotel even if I won the lottery, let alone staying, and I would not recommend others to either!

DISGUSTING!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
CAPDIRECTOR, Front Office Manager at Capitol Skyline Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
We are extremely upset to hear about the service you received while staying with our hotel. We are extremely sorry because we pride ourselves on providing excellent service to all of our guest. We are sorry you felt crowded due to our art fair the hotel was hosting, in the future we will try to advise guest about upcoming events the hotel is hosting in advance so they can plan their trips properly. Once again we are sorry about the service you received and we can only hope that you would stay with us again so that we can provide you with the service that all of our guest deserve.

594 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Turkish first
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

My partner and I were having a stressful day from preparing for Hurricane Sandy from waiting in line in our car for 5 sand bags for 3 1/2 hours, packing, preparing our apartment, etc. We booked at another hotel who was actually closer to us and were utterly disappointed and grossed out and did not stay. Then, we came across Capitol Skyline Hotel also near our apartment and just a great location. Upon check in the gentlemen at the reception desk, Pablo truly made my partner and myself very happy and has shown us the best, most GENUINE customer service. From arrival though he was busy and working alone it seemed, he was simply very kind. He even upgraded us to a suite for the night for our troubles. He did not have to do this. We will remember this for a long time. I hope management recognize him and realize what a great asset he is; a great future is in store for him at this pace. Thank you Pablo!

Original room 416, upgraded suite 434.

Room Tip: Fantastic service, location, genuine hospitality.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
CAPDIRECTOR, Front Office Manager at Capitol Skyline Hotel, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
We are extremely happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! Thank you for all the positive comments. We look forward to having you stay with us again!
LA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

The hotel managers are clearly watching their spreadsheet. THere is, basically, no staff. The restaurant at night is run by one really nice but clearly alone guy. At breakfast, there are 2 people and maybe, I don't know, 30, 40 guests. THey waited for a $14 buffet but for most of an hour, all they had to choose from was stale eggs, toast and a few bagels. The people who work at this hotel are lovely but horribly exploited; they simply cannot cope with the number of people or the demands made on them. This isn't the first 'Flying Dutchman' hotel I've stayed in but I hope it's the last.
The other thing people won't tell you is it is a poor location. I should have known when the cab driver told me about its awful past. It is better now and the walk to the Metro is only about 4 blocks - not that anyone is around to tell you that. But unless/until you figure that out, you are stuck a VERY long way from anything you want to say or do. It may say Washington DC: truth is, you're way out there.
I think this hotel is mis-marketed and badly run. It doesn't need to be that way. It needs some good management that cares (what a shocking concept) and a few extra people to do the ridiculously valiant work that the few people here do do.
Also - it would not be a revolution in hotel management if the bookstorse stocked a guide to Washington DC. A good one would be nice, of course. But any one would be a great leap forward.
Who runs these places?

Room Tip: You can ask for smoke-free but go whistle. The whole place STINKS of smoke.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
We are sorry to hear you feel our hotel is understaffed. Our hotel is within a 10 minute walk to the Capitol and only 3 blocks to the closest metro station, this makes it fairly easy to get to all the main sights you would like to see in DC. We also offer a courtesy shuttle that will bring you into DC during the morning hours. We offer maps and guides at the front desk and also will guide you to plan your trip to the nation’s capital. Once again I would like to apologize for any inconvenience that may have occurred during your stay with us.
München, Deutschland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

All in all we were quite satisfied with the hotel but there were a few things missing to reach a good overall rating. First we had a bug in our hotel room, better to say in the basin, things like this could happen but they should not. The Capitol Skyline is close to downtown and National Gallery area but to reach the train/subway you need to go through a low-medium housing area.
The service was very good especially by the concierge who was all the time very helpful.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
We are glad to hear you enjoyed the service and location of our hotel! You are correct when you say things like the incident in the basin should not happen, and we assure it will not happen again. We hope that when you make your next trip to DC we hope you stay with us again!
Adelaide, South Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

On arrival, the building looked very run down and dirty. The inside is a little better, and clean. Cheap bedding and fittings throughout (IKEA), though the beds are comfortable.
Unfortunately during our stay, there were baseball games at the stadium across the road on the 2 nights we stayed. The management sell parking spaces to the patrons, which made it an absolute nightmare for the hotel guests. The underground parking garage was packed, including double parking in the lanes. No room for those of us who had secured a park earlier. Felt sorry for the poor guy who was at reception complaining that his car was blocked, and couldn't get out.
The shuttle service (Royal Trolley Tours) into DC is a one way affair. Find your own way back! The driver we had on the 2 mornings was not the friendliest, not even a thankyou or goodbye after we gave our non deserved tip. But, it is free!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
We apologize for the heavy flow of traffic in our garage during the Nationals game. We have organized a new parking system since those post season games so that next year we will not have the same issue. We regret to hear about the service you received on our courtesy shuttle, we will be sure to address this issue.
Aarhus, Denmark
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Nothing impressive, some ok stuff and lots of room for improvement.
No roomservice, expensive parking, rooms are very dimm (3 lamps in total), tasteless brown furnishing and painting, wifi is awfully slow, location does not feel very safe, no eating places nearby, no cable tv, and breakfast not included.
Reception service is ok, rooms are clean, reasonable comfortable beds, though noisy... so all in all, no real deal in this one.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
CAPDIRECTOR, Front Office Manager at Capitol Skyline Hotel, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
We apologize for any inconveniences during your stay. We read all of our guest comments and we are always looking to improve our hotel. We do offer cable tv in every room and we have just switched over our wifi to a new server. We hope you decide to stay with us again.
Columbia, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Nothing is as promised. No coffee maker, microwave, refrigerator, wi-fi. Breakfast is $13.95 and is less food than the average small motel free breakfast. No coffee or tea available except for purchase. Staff can only apologize when there is a problem but don't care or do anything to correct it. I called Hotel directly prior to making reservations and asked basic questions to make sure this place would be OK to stay at. Was given the answers I expected to hear but upon arrival found out information given was untrue. We are in our 70s, and have never been to Washington DC before. The experience at this hotel has gone a long way to try to make this trip into a negative experience instead of a positive one. SHAME ON YOU.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
On behalf of the Capitol Skyline Hotel we apologize that you may have received information that misled you. We do offer refrigerators and microwaves at a separate cost; also we do offer free wifi throughout the hotel. Once again we apologize for any inconveniences during your stay.

Been to Capitol Skyline Hotel? Share your experiences!