“When Vintage Met Modern--Capitol Skyline” 5 of 5 stars

Capitol Skyline Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10 I Street SW, Washington DC, DC 20024-4299   |
Ranked #102 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
New York City, New York
“When Vintage Met Modern--Capitol Skyline”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

I was very impressed with the courteous staff. They were both well groomed and well mannered. As a tourist to the state, they took the time to give me directions, car services, tourist attractions as well as pointers on where to enjoy nightlife. The hotel has a shuttle service which takes you to the "Mall" which is where all the government attractions are, very convenient.
My bed was extremely comfy and my flat screen t.v was huge. I had an amazing window view of the Capitol. I also enjoyed the fact that hotel was a "go green" conservative hotel. The hotel lobby was beautifully decorated where it had a vintage/classy wall paper theme but all the furniture accents were modern an chic. I really could go on and on but my point is that I had an enjoyable stay and will be staying there again and again.

• Stayed November 2011
OmarKoussou, Manager at Capitol Skyline Hotel, responded to this review, December 2, 2011
Dear Shasa,
We would like to express our sincere appreciation to you for taking the time to share with everyone how much you enjoyed the Capitol Skyline Hotel and to also thank you for the compliments on the staff. We are truly happy to have created an unforgettable experience for you during your stay with us. We hope that you will visit again soon.

Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Turkish first
Dallas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

Stayed this last Friday night after Thanksgiving (2011) for one night. Found out that the shuttle service is very limited to their specific locations in the a.m. and only to specific resturants in the p.m. The room was very hot even with the A/C on and the shades were broken. Staff was nice and rooms clean however, it is not 3 star hotel! We wish we would have stayed closer in D.C. within walking distance because the parking in D.C. is horriable!

Room Tip: Plan to walk to use the Metro if you stay here......don't believe "oh there is plenty of pa...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
OmarKoussou, Manager at Capitol Skyline Hotel, responded to this review, December 4, 2011
Dear Mart,
Thank you for taking time to note your comments about your recent stay at The Capitol Skyline Hotel.
The Capitol Skyline Hotel provides a courtesy shuttle service to hotel guests 7 days a week during peak hours and conveniently drops off at Washington’s most touristy sites as well as major restaurant headquarters such Chinatown; Barracks row; and the waterfront area. We apologies for the difficulties experienced during your stay and can assure you that they have been addressed and corrected. I hope we have another opportunity to welcome you back and please do not hesitate to contact me directly for all your future requests

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2011

The room was beautiful & the view of the Capitol &have monument was gorgeous. Will definitely go again.

• Stayed November 2011
OmarKoussou, Manager at Capitol Skyline Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2011
Thank you for letting us know that we served you well. We appreciate you taking the time to offer us you comment. Happy Holidays from the Management and Staff of the Capitol Skyline Hotel.

Springfield, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2011

A friend of mine and myself stayed at the Capitol Skyline Hotel from Nov 17th-21st. I was pleased with this hotel in general but there are a few issues that I will address that could use some work in order to make it better. But first, for the positives:

Great view-From any room in this hotel you'll either have a very good view of the Capitol or the Washington Capitals Stadium (we had the Capitol view-"skyline" if you will).

Cleanliness-It looks to be an older hotel and in places it shows, however, I felt as though it was clean and well taken care of for the most part. It had a nice lobby with plush chairs to sit in, a gift shop, etc.

Fast Elevators- We stayed on the 6th floor and it seemed so fast to get to our room from the lobby. Also, there were two of them, so you could always get on one super fast.

Staff- The front desk staff was very friendly and on top of their game. Very professional and would always answer any question you had.

Free Shuttle- I liked the free shuttle which would take you to a plethora of locations around the National Mall, Capitol, etc.

Now for some issues.......

Internet- While the hotel provided complimentary internet access, it was very hard to get connected and I was always getting kicked off. I've had this happen at many hotels, but it could definitely be better.

Shuttle- While I put this free service as a "pro", I understood it as it was a free shuttle to AND from those locations. When we got there, we soon found out that it is ONLY to those places, not back. I would suggest that they provide pick-up as well, since the skyline's location is off the beaten path. While it wasn't that much, we would find ourselves spending at minimum $10 per day getting a cab back to the hotel. Doesn't seem like a big deal as it's only $10, but when looking at in in that we were there for four days, that's $40 (not counting if we went out to eat at night-because there isn't really any eating establishments in the area-other than McDonalds). Point is, there are hotels that are in the thick of the D.C. "fun" areas (restaurants, attractions, etc.) that wouldn't be too much more expensive if you account for the cab fares. Also, Reagan Airport is relatively close to the hotel so I do think it would benefit the hotel to offer a shuttle from there. Not trying to be really cheap or anything, but I do think the hotel would garner more business and would make up for their expense in doing so.

Restaurant- The staff at the hotel restaurant was very good, and the food was ok. However, I feel it was a bit overpriced for what it was and what you got. My $12 Burger should have been about $8 for example. They provide you with a free breakfast. Well, while I do appreciate the "full" breakfast, as they put it, I understand how this works. In the restaurant and for the buffet, the only thing that is of any substance is well below average powdered, scrambled eggs, and undercooked bacon (I did enjoy the orange juice). Also, they had bagels and bread and provided a toaster, but no cream cheese......I've been to very few hotel breakfasts that didn't provide cream cheese. In my opinion, that is such a small, inexpensive item that would be well worth their while.....but I digress.....The interesting thing is though, is that there is a sign up that says "breakfast buffet, $13.99". This sign is obviously meant to make the hotel patron feel really warm and fuzzy inside as if they got this premium breakfast. The breakfast at the McDonald's across the street would have been significantly better. However, I was there to save some money and it definitely helped in doing so. Therefore, is that a pro or a con? I just found it to be a little peculiar.

All in all it was a decent hotel with a decent price. I would have a difficult time not recommending this place as it has many good things going for it. That being said however, next time I would probably spring a few extra bucks for a better located hotel. I had a good time, room was nice, everything worked very good (except for the internet) and was treated well.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Durham, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the hotel this past Thanksgiving and we were really here to get away. When we arrived the manager Koussou was really nice and answers all questions we had for him. The Hotel was nice, and pleasant. I was simply what we needed.
We will spread the word about the skyline and will return for sure.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

Rooms were clean and pillows soft, good customer service and free breakfast to boot, and real breakfast like bacon an eggs ect. The atmosphere was a nice change from the usual hotels as well. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: choose a room with a view of the capitol and national monument
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Falls Church, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

I have never actually stayed at this hotel but have been to pool parties, halloween parties, and an art festival at the hotel. They have a great lobby and pool area (lobby recently renovated) and really make use of the space and location (walking distance from Navy Yard metro). The neighborhood wasn't the best ten years ago but is slowly improving. Many people that hear of an even in this part of town might shy away but it's perfectly fine.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Capitol Skyline Hotel? Share your experiences!