“Capitol Skyline” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10 I Street SW, Washington DC, DC 20024-4299   |
Ranked #101 of 130 Hotels in Washington DC
“Capitol Skyline”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2011 via mobile

The room was beautiful & the view of the Capitol &have monument was gorgeous. Will definitely go again.

• Stayed November 2011
OmarKoussou, Manager at Capitol Skyline Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2011
Thank you for letting us know that we served you well. We appreciate you taking the time to offer us you comment. Happy Holidays from the Management and Staff of the Capitol Skyline Hotel.

Cordially,
Omar Koussou

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Turkish first
Springfield, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2011

A friend of mine and myself stayed at the Capitol Skyline Hotel from Nov 17th-21st. I was pleased with this hotel in general but there are a few issues that I will address that could use some work in order to make it better. But first, for the positives:

Great view-From any room in this hotel you'll either have a very good view of the Capitol or the Washington Capitals Stadium (we had the Capitol view-"skyline" if you will).

Cleanliness-It looks to be an older hotel and in places it shows, however, I felt as though it was clean and well taken care of for the most part. It had a nice lobby with plush chairs to sit in, a gift shop, etc.

Fast Elevators- We stayed on the 6th floor and it seemed so fast to get to our room from the lobby. Also, there were two of them, so you could always get on one super fast.

Staff- The front desk staff was very friendly and on top of their game. Very professional and would always answer any question you had.

Free Shuttle- I liked the free shuttle which would take you to a plethora of locations around the National Mall, Capitol, etc.

Now for some issues.......

Internet- While the hotel provided complimentary internet access, it was very hard to get connected and I was always getting kicked off. I've had this happen at many hotels, but it could definitely be better.

Shuttle- While I put this free service as a "pro", I understood it as it was a free shuttle to AND from those locations. When we got there, we soon found out that it is ONLY to those places, not back. I would suggest that they provide pick-up as well, since the skyline's location is off the beaten path. While it wasn't that much, we would find ourselves spending at minimum $10 per day getting a cab back to the hotel. Doesn't seem like a big deal as it's only $10, but when looking at in in that we were there for four days, that's $40 (not counting if we went out to eat at night-because there isn't really any eating establishments in the area-other than McDonalds). Point is, there are hotels that are in the thick of the D.C. "fun" areas (restaurants, attractions, etc.) that wouldn't be too much more expensive if you account for the cab fares. Also, Reagan Airport is relatively close to the hotel so I do think it would benefit the hotel to offer a shuttle from there. Not trying to be really cheap or anything, but I do think the hotel would garner more business and would make up for their expense in doing so.

Restaurant- The staff at the hotel restaurant was very good, and the food was ok. However, I feel it was a bit overpriced for what it was and what you got. My $12 Burger should have been about $8 for example. They provide you with a free breakfast. Well, while I do appreciate the "full" breakfast, as they put it, I understand how this works. In the restaurant and for the buffet, the only thing that is of any substance is well below average powdered, scrambled eggs, and undercooked bacon (I did enjoy the orange juice). Also, they had bagels and bread and provided a toaster, but no cream cheese......I've been to very few hotel breakfasts that didn't provide cream cheese. In my opinion, that is such a small, inexpensive item that would be well worth their while.....but I digress.....The interesting thing is though, is that there is a sign up that says "breakfast buffet, $13.99". This sign is obviously meant to make the hotel patron feel really warm and fuzzy inside as if they got this premium breakfast. The breakfast at the McDonald's across the street would have been significantly better. However, I was there to save some money and it definitely helped in doing so. Therefore, is that a pro or a con? I just found it to be a little peculiar.

All in all it was a decent hotel with a decent price. I would have a difficult time not recommending this place as it has many good things going for it. That being said however, next time I would probably spring a few extra bucks for a better located hotel. I had a good time, room was nice, everything worked very good (except for the internet) and was treated well.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Durham, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the hotel this past Thanksgiving and we were really here to get away. When we arrived the manager Koussou was really nice and answers all questions we had for him. The Hotel was nice, and pleasant. I was simply what we needed.
We will spread the word about the skyline and will return for sure.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

Rooms were clean and pillows soft, good customer service and free breakfast to boot, and real breakfast like bacon an eggs ect. The atmosphere was a nice change from the usual hotels as well. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: choose a room with a view of the capitol and national monument
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Falls Church, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

I have never actually stayed at this hotel but have been to pool parties, halloween parties, and an art festival at the hotel. They have a great lobby and pool area (lobby recently renovated) and really make use of the space and location (walking distance from Navy Yard metro). The neighborhood wasn't the best ten years ago but is slowly improving. Many people that hear of an even in this part of town might shy away but it's perfectly fine.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Manitou Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

We were a little worried about this hotel. It's a five block walk from the Metro station, a ways from downtown, and the hotel looks pretty dumpy and bland from the outside. But inside, the hotel is clean and well maintained, the staff is friendly and efficient, and the rooms are just fine; decent size and nicely appointed. Free wifi, and an on-site laundromat. Great beds - my wife and I got a super night's sleep. The price we got was very good, too. I would definitely stay here again.

For a terrific dinner, try Georgia Brown's next to McPherson Square. Great cajun food, with a lovely ambience.

Room Tip: We asked for a king, but got a queen. They were happy to switch us to two double beds.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Youngstown-Warren, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

When I first read some reviews about his hotel, I was worried about the location being in a rough neighborhood; however, I couldn't have been more wrong. While outside the hustle and bustle of the central part of the city, the Capitol Skyline is tucked away in the SW quadrant near the Navy Yard. It is only a 30-45 minute walk to any major attraction and free shuttle service is offered if you physically cannot walk. The rooms were very spacious and clean and had the most incredible view of the US Capitol that I've ever seen! Beds were clean and comfortable, and the public areas were beautiful. Staff was friendly and attentive. Finally for a hotel in Washington, DC you could not find a better price! Overall I would definitely recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Request a room on the 6th floor (very quiet) and ask for Capitol view; it's worth it!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Capitol Skyline Hotel? Share your experiences!