You added BEST WESTERN Georgetown Hotel & Suites to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Georgetown Hotel & Suites
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1121 New Hampshire Ave NW, Washington DC, DC 20037-1522 (Connecticut Ave/ K Street)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
1,000 bonus reward points
Ranked #94 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
Hawaii
“50/50”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2009

Got to the hotel late afternoon and gotta give the manager and the senior front desk man credit. they really seem to know how to make things work. Unfortunately, I got the trainee and the bell guy who seem to forget and finish one task upon being given another. The manager did not mind me parking the car while I load and unload luggage out of the car. I figured out later that you can park temporarily on the side street instead of blocking the driveway. Of course, only one car at a time.
Based on the previous reviews, I made sure I got the parking voucher with in and out privileges. They gave me a map to show where to park. Upon parking the car, I got lost trying to find the hotel. Good thing I had the map. I really hate 45 degree streets!!!!
I did find that there are a lot of eateries around the area and oh... that was the first time a woman who was dressed rich actually ask me if i had change to spare. She did not look homeless either.
Breakfast was okay. The basics. The free USA Today newspaper was a plus. Returned it after reading. For $200 a night for 2 adults 2 seniors and a child, I'd say the $40/person a night was worth the distance and amenities from this hotel. Just stay away from them trainees.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Philadelphia, PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2009

We spent a long weekend at this hotel. We have a two year old so this hotel was specifically chosen for their suites with separate bedroom as well as the great location near two metros. The room and location were as I expected. However, for $200/night I would have expected relatively decent customer service. Upon arrival, the crib we had requested was not in our room- it took three calls to the front desk to finally have it delivered. Later that evening, we experienced the first of many loud parties in or near the hotel. We could look right out our window into one of the GWU dorms...and sat. night was quite festive. The second night of our stay we experienced another student party- this one was right in our own hotel hallway! I requested that the front desk remedy this situation and the gentleman promptly got off the elevator, walked up and down the hall and left! I had to speak to the party-goers myself and ask them to quiet down.

That's not it! I also carried my stroller and bags and baby up the steps to the lobby 3 or 4 times (with no staff ever offering to assist or even hold the door!) and then I happened to notice a handicap entrance with ramp on the side of the building. Could they not have mentioned this?! Finally, the parking situation... the hotel advertises in and out parking. It turns out the parking lot is a couple blocks away at the Ritz Carlton lot. you need a voucher from the hotel in order to take advantage of the in/out privileges but they never told us about it or provided said voucher so we left our car in the garage all weekend.

I spoke to the hotel manager about the issues I experienced during our stay and he was not at all apologetic. He told me that $200/night is very cheap for a hotel in this area and I should not expect customer service to come with the package. His responses to my issues were shocking. For example, when I mentioned that no one had informed us about the handicap entrance- he told me "We are not under any obligation to tell you about that!"

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Central Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2009

This was a return stay for us. The location is fantastic, near metro stops and lots of ethnic restaurants around DuPont Circle. Rooms are clean and neat, and the price very reasonable for Washington. Stayed 7 nights with an average cost of $200/night including taxes and fees. Breakfast was included too. The breakfast is not hot, but there are lots of choices: cereals, coffee, tea, bagels, fruit, toast, waffles, hard boiled eggs. Saw lots of families (mostly older children) and foreign tourists, so you know the cost is reasonable for the area. Room was very comfortable.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Honolulu, Hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2009

The hotel is only a short one block walk to the metro; a quarter mile from the Lincoln Memorial; and a quarter mile from the shops and restuarants of Georgetown. The hotel is less than a block from George Washington University, and there are student apartments behind the hotel. During our stay, there was one night that a student party continued until 2am, and kept my travel companion awake. I booked though the internet, but carefully watched the price. I booked and then cancelled twice, as the room rates changed weekly. My final price, was 20% less than the price from the first time a booked. The breakfast is sufferable: stale donuts, stale bread, cereal, oatmeal, and hardboiled eggs, every day. My biggest complaint was the "free wifi"; I was never able to connect to the hotel wi-fi. Fortunately, the student apartments behind the hotel did have 1-2 unsecured networks.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Rio Grande Valley
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2008

Comfortable hotel. A few blocks from the metro. Not such a great breakfast.

• Liked — Clean, comfortable room
  • Disliked — continental breakfast
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
SF Bay Area, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2008

I stayed at this hotel with my twin sons during the last week of October. We flew from California to visit local relatives my children had never met, and to see the capital. This was my sons' first trip anywhere, and a 10th birthday treat. I chose the hotel for its suite arrangement with kitchen facilities, and for its continental breakfast, which I figured we would need at least the first morning, before we had a chance to shop for food.

Our flight was delayed and we arrived at the hotel at 11:30 p.m. The person at the front desk saw me struggling to get our luggage up the steps just inside the front door but made no offer to help--in fact, he disappeared into a back room until I'd assembled everything in front of the desk. I checked in, then hauled everything to our room, where there was no sign of the rollaway I'd ordered and no linens for the stained and rickety sofabed, even though it was obvious at least one of us would have to sleep on it. (There was only one bed in the bedroom area.) I called downstairs for some linens and was told to come down and get them myself! When I got down there at midnight I was handed a threadbare blanket and some sheets, but no pillow, as they couldn't find one.

The next morning I dragged myself out of bed at 9 a.m. (6 a.m. California time) to go down to the breakfast area and get some food. I took one of my sons with me but reluctantly left the other one in bed, as he still wasn't feeling well after first complaining of feeling sick on the plane. I took along a small plastic bag so we could bring some bagels or toast back and still carry a couple of drinks.

When I got to the basement breakfast area I saw a sign posted in the doorway that breakfast would end at 9:30 and that food was to be consumed in the breakfast area. But with a sick child upstairs, the clock ticking, and not knowing about this rule before, I went ahead and gathered four pieces of (very stale) toast and two hard-boiled eggs, and started pouring some juice into two cups for my helper son and me to transport upstairs. Immediately a man appeared from a back room and asked me if I planned to take the food out of the breakfast area. I said yes and explained that I had a sick child I couldn't leave alone upstairs and no food, as I had checked in very late. Apparently not believing me, he folded his arms in a very aggressive posture and loudly and obnoxiously said he was "sick and tired of people like you coming in here with bags to take my food. You just want to save it for snacks later. My policy is no food is to be removed from here, and I'm not letting you out of here with that food."

I was truly stunned by this. (For one thing I wondered why anyone would want to steal stale bread and warm milk.) I told him he could inspect the food I was taking to see if it was an appropriate amount for three people, but this seemed to enrage him further and he refused, and just moved toward me menacingly. I then told him that the only other option was for me to go upstairs and bring my sick child to the dining area, where he could spread germs around to others. He said nothing and just continued to stand there. So I went upstairs, coaxed the sick one out of bed, and tried to console my helper son, who wanted to know why the hotel thought we were thieves.

That was our introduction to Washington D.C. and the Georgetown Hotel.

The rest of the stay was uneventful, though cold (the windows didn't close all the way and the heater thermostat didn't work) and noisy (the room overlooked an apartment building with patios where residents had loud social gatherings until late at night.) I never went to the breakfast room again, so the hotel certainly saved some money on our week-long stay. Whenever we crossed paths with this manager he avoided eye contact, and seemed uncomfortable when other staffers chatted with my quiet and well-behaved twins.

What a disappointment. The only reason I even give this hotel two stars is for the location (near Metro and Trader Joe's), and the spacious and pretty clean room.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Unbelievably hostile manager
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Antwerp
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2008

Nice stay, large room, with small kitchinette and a separate living-area. Breakfast was rather poor and bad service,
great location and a great Chinese Restaurant a few steps away.
Would stay again at the BW.Georgetown.

• Liked — Spacious suites with separate living-area
  • Disliked — breakfast
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple