“One of the best meals of my life.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of BlackSalt

BlackSalt
4883 MacArthur Blvd NW, Washington DC, DC 20007 (Upper Northwest)
202-342-9101
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
BlackSalt is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #41 of 2,710 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Upper Northwest
Cross street: V Street NW
Description: BlackSalt is the much anticipated concept restaurant from Chef Jeff Black, featuring an upscale fish market fronting a vibrant bar and elegant restaurant.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“One of the best meals of my life.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2014

This place is superb.
It's a little bit away from town but so worth the trip.
Every bite was exquisite- oysters, shrimp, calamari, octopus, scallops. Desert was the creamer brûlée trio.
The wine list was delightful.
Honestly one of the best meals of my life thus far.

We loved the casual, upscale elegance and the staff who could not do enough for us.

Visited December 2014

McLean, Virginia
“When you crave seafood”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2014

The other night in a conversation about food I was ask where can somebody go when they want seafood. My answer was fast and easy BlackSalt.
Concept: Great, they start with a fish market that finds it's way to your table offering a great selection with the most important seafood ingredient: Fresh 17/20
Food: Wonderful, you can pick from the whole menu and love it 17/20
Service: Good, the food will cover any deficiencies. 14/20
Value: Very good, high dollar, sea food is expensive, but the food quality is worth it. 15/20
Will I go back: Yes as much as I can

• Visited October 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Middlebury, Vermont
“Delicious and very thoughtful waitstaff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2014

I only had an hour to get a quick bite, but the bar area and therefore the happy hour menu were not available. However the maitre 'd got us a seat and made it okay to order something light off the menu. The New England Clam Chowder was probably the best I've ever had - and I'm a New Englander. The milky broth was flavorful, the crispy fried clams on top were cooked just right and added a few nice crispy bites, and it was fun and delicious to find the three small clams in their shells in the soup, too. It's a "cup of chowda" that I will be hard pressed to beat! The beet and arugala salad was also very tasty. I wish I lived in the area so I could return to try many other dishes!!

• Visited December 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Hold the food!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2014

My brother and nephew used to dine frequently at Black Salt, so I gave them a gift certificate.
The fish dish my brother ordered was abysmally oversalted.
My nephew's crab cakes were mostly filler. The waiter was inattentive, the food inedible.

A month ago, I followed up with an e-mail to Black Salt describing the disappointing meals.
No response was received from management
Overpriced, overrated and unprofessional. Resting on its laurels.
To be avoided at any price.

• Visited September 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Great seafood!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2014

I love eating seafood, but I really love good seafood! Blacksalt definitely served good seafood. We made our reservations months in advance after having read several reviews on Trip Advisor. When we arrived, we did have to wait a few minutes, but the bar quickly took our drink order to appease us. Once seated, the waiter was prompt, friendly, and very helpful. I ordered the apple salad for my appetizer, while my husband ordered the scallops. The salad was very good and the scallops would have been even better had there been more than two tiny ones on the plate, but I digress. My entree, crab cakes, was overflowing with crabmeat and my husband's sword fish was perfect. For dessert, we ordered the peanut butter chocolate crunch pie. It was the ultimate mixture of chocolate and peanut butter!