“Fish to the next level” 5 of 5 stars
Review of BlackSalt

BlackSalt
4883 MacArthur Blvd NW, Washington DC, DC 20007 (Upper Northwest)
202-342-9101
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
BlackSalt is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #47 of 2,494 Restaurants in Washington DC
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Entertaining clients, Romantic, Doing business, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Upper Northwest
Cross street: V Street NW
Description: BlackSalt is the much anticipated concept restaurant from Chef Jeff Black, featuring an upscale fish market fronting a vibrant bar and elegant restaurant.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Fish to the next level”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

Walked into a non-descriptive store front with vinyl drapes sheltering the entrance only to see a large fish with bulging eyes staring at me, looking back at my wife thinking Oh, Oh another one of my husbands off the wall food places.

The room was full and we were seated not before we walked through a noisy eating area through a wine cellar into a very cozy area for dinner. I was wondering what I had gotten myself into and then the waiter approached saying the Blacksalt was one of five topped restaurants in DC.

The wine list was extensive just like the wine cellar, the waiter suggested we start on the right hand page of the menu suggesting something cold, something hot and then the main course. Often when I go some place I ask the waiter for a suggestion, he choose scallops with sweet potatoes and brussel sprouts in a yummy light delicate sauce. Personally I never order scallops but these scallops were to die for. Had I know I would have ordered this appetizer for my dinner. But then dinner arrived Mahi Mahi on a bed of veal with caramelized onions in a brown sugar red wine sauce. My wife doesn't like fish very much nor does she like onions. I looked across the table and she was cutting her onion in half not once but twice. She even remarked how much she liked the veal and fish combination. My wife, it couldn't be, but there she was eating with pure joy on her face.

If you get the opportunity order the Chili Margarita, I love margaritas
'S this one of the best I've ever drank!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

West Orange, New Jersey
“Average, nothing extraordinary, pricey”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

A very nice restaurant, don't get me wrong. We were seated in the back in almost a closed off room of tables that gave us a very boxed in stuffy feel. Big minus on the atmosphere. Menu was nothing extraordinary and pretty expensive for what it was. Overall a let down after all the hype I have heard about this restaurant. Very average.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Great Seafood”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I had lunch here with two friends and we all thoroughly enjoyed our meals. Service was good. Nice atmosphere. Great for business lunches as well as more intimate dining.

Visited January 2014
Toronto, Canada
“Awesome experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

Again...I read the reviewes on Trip Advisor before we left and I saw that some peole wrote the portions were too small. I am not sure if we went to the same restaurant as the portions for this excellent restaurant were just right for one to enjoy an excellent and well flavored meal. The starters were huge compared to our city of Toronto and they were excellent. I would recommend the Tuna tartare, the Ipswich clams and the beet salad. We were a family of four and even my children enjoyed it...a lot. Yes there were not that many kids there, the place was decked out and the people looked great, but my kids love good food so they came with us. For mains we had two whole fish, one filet the other whole - on the grill. We also had the scallop appy but dinner sized for one child and one order of the black bass entrée. Not one morsel wasn't cooked right...great job chefs! Then we shared two desserts...the Banana Coconut Cream pie....WOW!!!! It was outstanding. I would go back just for this dessert. Fresh bananas layerd in with the cream pie itself and coconut. It was an explosion of flavours. We also had the Chocolate Chambord Truffle Cake. Need I say more! One thing my spouse and I really liked about BlackSalt was the variety of good half bottle wines. We had a bottle of Montrachet and a bottle of Ken Wrigth Pinot Noir. We always like a good Montrachet with seafood and the Ken Wright was new to us and came recommended from the sommelier, so we tried it. Great choice.....Thank you. Would we go back...most definitely! Is it expensive...as I have said and will continue to say, "you get what you pay for". Well done team. Great food, Great atmosphere and excellent service all around...with plenty of smiles.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Consistently good attention to detail”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

Family lunch on New Years Day was enjoyed by all six diners. I enjoyed my very reasonable fixed price lunch $25 for 3 courses and a drink (spicy tortilla soup with pork, tuna sandwich and raspberry creme brûlée (see photo) with a double IPA to wash it down). Others enjoyed a huge seafood stew, cheese burgers with kitchen fried chips, skate with lentils, red cabbage and apple. We also splurged on a platter of oysters - 4 types 2 from british columbia, washington state and wellfleets that were all topnotch. As the title indicates every dish was well prepared with consistently good attention to detail in food preparation and presentation (admittedly the restaurant was not full and we might have got especially good service because of this)

Not my first visit to Blacksalt, and I would also recommend the brunch at the weekends. Evening dining is more pricey, but worth the trip if good fish well prepared is your style. Call to make reservations for groups above 5 people as open table shows no availability for large groups.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere