“Expensive and failure makes it fall to "average"” 3 of 5 stars
Review of BlackSalt

BlackSalt
4883 MacArthur Blvd NW, Washington DC, DC 20007 (Upper Northwest)
202-342-9101
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
BlackSalt is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #47 of 2,498 Restaurants in Washington DC
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Doing business, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Upper Northwest
Cross street: V Street NW
Description: BlackSalt is the much anticipated concept restaurant from Chef Jeff Black, featuring an upscale fish market fronting a vibrant bar and elegant restaurant.
Washingtoin DC
“Expensive and failure makes it fall to "average"”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Dinner started well with oysters and starters. Service attentive if a little slow. The fish selection was very good but marred by bad execution. My fish was cold and had clearly sat on the pass far too long. I would note that when the waitstaff passed by with the "How is everything?" question I told them the fish was cold and it was taken away immediately and reheated. No arguments not questions. So that was good. But because we are talking about almost 100 bucks a head (incl a glass of wine) I must say this gets an "average". In that price point everything needs to be correct - no slip ups allowed. I will not be back.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Washington Dc
“Always good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Went to BlackSalt once again last evening and it was as good as ever. The place located is in an unassuming block in McArthur Blvd. in NW, Washington, DC, away from the downtown hustle and bustle and still it is always packed and the food and service are always great. It is not a very glitzy place and when you sit in the mail dining room you can see the kitchen through glass partitions and it looks like a very busy beehive. The restaurant is at the back of a very upscale seafood market in the front. The minute you walk in you can tell that the fish is fresh because of the odor and it is intoxicatingly wonderful. We sat in the main dining room and ordered drinks which were just perfect. Couple of us had straight up martinis (one vodka, one gin), they were served in chilled martini glasses and the cocktails came in individual chilled shakers. The server shakes the shaker and pours into a chilled glass and they tasted wonderful . The third person dining with me ordered a scotch and soda and it came in a nice glass with lots of ice and enough scotch to feel it.
We ordered clams and fresh oysters to have with the drinks and then they brought a beautiful basket of assorted hot breads with a heavenly olive oil, balsamic vinegar and a touch of garlic sauce to dip the warm bread in it.
We did have a second round of drinks and they came equally as well as the first round.
They had soft shell crabs as one of the specials and they offered them to us cooked in two different ways, deep fried or sauté. One of us opted for the fried version of the soft shell crabs and I opted for the sautéed one. My friend said he would take them the way the chef was preparing them and I said that I would like my soft shell crabs sautéed but with lot of garlic and light tomatoes, the server obliged and then asked if I wanted anything special as a side or if I wanted the chef to choose. I opted for the chef's choices, and the server asked me it I was allergic to anything and I said, fortunately no. The third friend order the famous BlackSalt bouillabaisse which was over the top as usual.
We had three different desserts, banana coconut cream pie, chocolate mocha cake and a sampling of crème broulee all ample sizes and all extremely good. When we left about 10:00 PM, the place was still jumping with people enjoying one of the best seafood in DC.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Exceptional”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

The best restaurant we ate in and we are still talking about it now. Service was excellent don't be put off by the fact that it is in the suburbs it is so worth a visit as we have never eaten fish like this. I had black bass in a broth which was fantastic but my husbands starter of butter fish was to die for and his halibut was divine. Desserts are really good too I do really do chocolate but the mouse cake was worth it. Service very good and they will even take you back in one of their cars. GO you will not be disappointed. The only problem will be that no other fish restaurant will ever come up to expectations again!

Visited August 2013
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Lunch was average - Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

My wife and I decided to go to BlackSalt based on the excellent reviews in Tripadvisor, We had lunch and ordered from the specials menu (wine appetizer, entree and dessert) for a set price ($20/25). The food was average quality and nothing memorable about the dishes. They seem to be a bit heavy handed on pepper in two of the dishes (fish tacos and gazpacho) which was overpowering. The menu doesn't indicate that the dishes are spicy so it was quite a surprise. It would be nice to put that information in the menu. The service was average. Our waiter was not too attentive and we had to flag down another wait staff member a couple of times. We have no desire to return again.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
West Park, New York
“Best seafood I have had in a VERY long time!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

After reading great reviews on TA, I added this restaurant to our itinerary. and what a great choice that was!!! Our hotel was on the other side of DC, so we had a great ride there, enjoying all of the beautiful homes in Georgetown. To start, we had the tuna tartar, the butterfish, and the oysters Rockefeller. All were amazing, and we knew we were in for a treat for the rest of the meal. For an entree, I chose the scallops, (normally an app, but the waiter recommended them prepared as the halibut is normally prepared)...THIS WAS AMAZING!!! And as for desserts, there wasn't a bad choice on the menu!! For a seafood place, these desserts reminded me of something from a Culinary Institute restaurant!!! Our evening ended with a convenient (and luxurious) ride back to the hotel in the house car, (which the kids will be talking about for awhile, as they want us to buy a Mercedes S600 now!!!) All in all...another place to put on your list for dining in DC!!!

Visited August 2013