“Nice spicy smell on your fingers all night long...!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Etete

Etete
1942 9th St NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (U Street Corridor)
202-232-7600
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #471 of 2,700 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Ethiopian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: U Street Corridor
“Nice spicy smell on your fingers all night long...!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Etete is one of those simple, easily to over-look, "family/*ethnic" restaurants. and that's what makes it so special. It's like finding a hidden treasure. It's small and cozy, the food is very nice, tingles your tongue with all the different spices, and leaves a nicy smell os spices on your fingertips because, as you must know, you eat with your fingertips, catching the food with ethiopian bread. You can also go for typical Harar beer, for fun.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Oregon
“Trendy and Overpriced”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I was traveling to DC with my family, and ETete showed up favorably in reviews, so we thought to give it a try. It was a Friday night, so the place was packed. It was obvious this was the trendy hangout by the patrons. The decor was modern, but didn't seem too ethnic, and we were seated upstairs. The servers were friendly, but seemed way overworked and we were pretty much ignored the entire time we were there. That's understandable for a Friday night, but the reason for the poor rating is the price they charge for their food. We understand it's DC, but for $16 we got an extremely small chicken drumstick with a small egg cut in half. We ordered three things (chicken, lamb, and veg) off the menu, and for $50+, what we were served probably would satisfy one person. Tasty? yes (nothing outstanding, and way more spicy than other Ethiopian restaurants we've been to). Trendy? yes (ridiculously small portions and fancy presentation). Reasonable value? Not by a long shot. To their credit, the owner (or seemed to be) did swing by to ask how we're doing, and my wife honestly told them about the poor service and the small portions. He personally filled our water glasses (for the first time), and said he'll consider the portion sizes (but didn't seem genuine in his response). Overall, I'd say this will be a good place for a date or with friends who enjoy trendy noisy dining (and don't eat much), but if you're looking for a reasonable Ethiopian restaurant, you might want to try one of the others in the neighborhood.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Some of the best Ethnic Food in DC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Some people say this isn't the most authentic Ethiopian in the U street area. To be sure, there are a lot of good Ethiopian places around here. Having never been to Africa I can't speak to the authenticity but I can say this place rivals the three amazing Ethiopian places I love in San Diego.

The food is great if a bit under-spiced. The lamb (Yebeg Wot) is the best thing I've had here. I've mostly gone here with veggies and they seem to like the veggie dishes but I'd say it's worth asking for some extra spice with them. For an Ethiopian place they have a decent wine selection (i.e. not just the typical sweet stuff.)

The staff are friendly and the place looks nice inside. It's a great place for a large group.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Greenbelt, Maryland
“Ethiopian food as good as I have had it.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

I'd say "tony," but it's just plain pleasant. Maybe more Continental in decor than your typical Ethiopian place. Relaxed. Small tables (small restaurant), I wouldn't bring a large party here. This is Ethiopian for a date or a trio or quartet. Honest. (The "spaghetti with tuna sauce" intrigued me - in an Ethiopian restaurant? - but they leveled that it was a can of Bumble Bee and a jar of generic spagh sauce.)

I have eaten my share of Ethiopian and I can honestly say never with more relish. If you like the cuisine, go here.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
london
“Excellent Ethiopian Option”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Very friendly staff. Very accomodating to using teff-only injera for our gluten-intolerant friend. Great overall vegetarian special (even the meat-eater was impressed).

Could be spicier for our taste, but perhaps we'll just mention that next time.

• Visited May 2013