“Overrated, overpriced and pretentious” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Proof

Proof
775 G Street, NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Downtown / Chinatown)
202.737.7663
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Proof is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #86 of 2,562 Restaurants in Washington DC
Neighborhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Cross street: 8th and G
Transit: Gallery Place/Chinatown Metro
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Overrated, overpriced and pretentious”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

Went here for an office holiday party. Very difficult to find at night because their name is not obvious - nothing in lights or that stands out. We drove by it twice even with the use of the GPS! Once inside, it is elegant and cozy, but needed a light to read the menu (which the waitresses happily supplied, which indicates they're aware of the problem). Very fancy menu descriptions but the food was not so much. One appetizer had a very fancy name, but was simply what appeared to be sliced salami, crustinis, 2-3 tiny gherkins and mustard. I had some type of stuffed pasta - it was okay. I guess with the ambiance and the good service, the food was expected to be on the same par, but I did not find it to be. I must say, however, that at the end of the meal, I had a cup of coffee and some type of chocolate cake/pudding which were divine together. Their coffee is absolutely excellent and paired with the cake, was a perfect match. So much so that the ride home was bliss with the after effects of this combo. I think I would go there just for the coffee and cake - forget the food.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Macungie, Pennsylvania
“Fresh Unique Menu”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

Business dinner in DC brought is to Proof which was bustling with Washingtonians after work. Lots I great choices on the menu. I opted for the Lamb Ragout which was generally very good. One caution is that this restaurant is dimly lit and the lamb chops were quite fatty so I kept getting mouthful of parts that I didn't enjoy. My colleagues has the Swordfish and Duck Confit. We shared an order of Brussel spouts which wer delicious and topped it off with a shared slice of pineapple upside down cake. Overall the location is great, nice menu choices and hip atmosphere.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New Haven, Connecticut
“A birthday dinner in Washington, DC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

My husband and in-laws treated me to a wonderful birthday dinner at Proof. The first thing I want to comment on is the atmosphere: fantastic! Romantic yet sophisticated. Second thing: the cold cuts selection is one of the best I have encountered in american restaurants. Third: their cheese list is also to die for. Fourth: I LOVED the food. I had cold cults for appetizer and a steak. Fifth: We had drinks first which were great, and I would recommend that you stick to them if you do not know wines. I know wines, so I managed to find a good wine for a decent price, but it is true that there were many overpriced wines.
All in all for me, a dining experience I would recommend. And a lot of fun, too!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“More veggie dishes please!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

I hope Proof will add more vegetarian dishes (outside of the lengthy cheese options) as we were a bit limited, but the flatbread, gnocchi and cauliflower dishes were wonderful. Great, attentive service and an outstanding wine selection with multiple serving sizes allows you to try many as you like. It's very dark so you are given a magnifying mini-torch to see the menu - rather brilliant I must say.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Washington, DC
“Proof Positive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

What a terrific meal. My dinner partner and I shared two first courses and two main dishes. Each was outstanding. The portions are amole for sharing, but not overwhelming. Proof is one of those rare DC restaurants where the sound level is pleasant, enabling conversation.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere