“Great Prix Fixe lunch menu” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Source

The Source
575 Pennsylvania Avenue Northwest, Washington DC, DC (Downtown / Chinatown)
202-637-6100
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Source is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #205 of 2,498 Restaurants in Washington DC
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Bar scene, Entertaining clients, Doing business
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Dessert, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Cross street: 6th Street
Transit: Metro to Archives/ Navy Memorial
TORONTO
“Great Prix Fixe lunch menu”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We had the opportunity to experience The Source this past Monday afternoon for lunch on our mini vacation trip to Washington .
This trip was to explore the many Smithsonian’s and the monuments, as well as to take in a play at the Kennedy center
Our focus was also on food adventures. To that end we visited ( and will provide separate reviews) Rogue 24, The Source, Rasika ( Penn quarter), Zaytinya, and Zengo DC
First off, the room is beautiful. Lots of glass, great tableware, excellent flatware. The clientele was business centric, and I felt a bit out of place with just a shirt and jeans on.
What I really liked was the 3 course prix fixe menu option. Great deal which included a featured wine by the glass. Fortunately for me I was on my own time, and sampled more than one glass of a fine Pinot !
The food quality was outstanding, and I was surprised by the quantity on the plates. I was not expecting this for a prix fixe, and we were both delighted in the taste, presentation and amount.
The dumplings were outstanding, as was the pork belly. My wife’s fish was perfectly cooked and I did manage to get a forkful when she wasn’t looking !
Our server was excellent, the staff all appeared very professional. Not cold, but certainly not looking to chat at length.
We would definitely return to the Source, and next time I will look to book this for an evening meal

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

DC
“Consistently good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

This place does a good job. Service can be friendly to a bit stiff but mostly efficient. Lunch is a very good value.

Visited September 2012
Washington, DC
“Great restaurant but a lot of hype”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

There is no doubt that this is a great restaurant. However, it's not quite worth the hype or the prices. Worth going once but there are better places in DC.

Visited September 2012
Nashville, Tennessee
“Ignored”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We were visiting the Newseum and looked forward to eating here. Many business persons were here, it seemed quite full. We were not dressed as well as other patrons, but not badly. We were seated in a corner and ignored. We sat for some time without even water or drink offered. Finally we left. We ate at The Capitol Grill across the street, very friendly service there.

• Visited October 2012
Portland, Oregon
“You pay for what you get”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

It was very expensive but well worth it. The kitchen executed flawlessly. I had their signature pear martini which was absolutely wonderful. It tastes like a liquid pear with a kick. As an appetizer had the tuna tartare in a sesame cone that was to die for. The tartare was fresh, flavorful and the hand formed cone was a perfect offset and crunch to the tartare. For my entree I had crispy duck which is quite possibly the best cooked duck I have ever had. The skin was crispy and the meat meat cooked perfectly with little fat but enough to keep the meat moist and tasty. It was accompanied with spicy berries and fresh greens which perfect offset the richness of the meat. I finished with a lime coconut desert that melted in your mouth along with a perfectly made cappuccino. All were expertly recommend by my server and she was perfectly attentive guiding me the whole way. It was incredibly expensive but was my one indulgence while visiting D.C. It would be best for special occasion. Decor is modern and elegant.