“Great stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #112 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
Rixeyville, Virginia
“Great stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

I stayed at the Windsor Park to do some touring of Washington with my wife and son, and we had a great time. The hotel is one of your smaller ones, but it was more than enough for our stay. The staff was very friendly and helpful, the room was clean and actually pretty big compared to what I'm used to in big tourist city's. They served a breakfast that kept us nice and full until lunch, and on check out day they stored our bags for about 6 hours for free, making check out day still a nice touring day. Good times!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
WPHWashington, Manager at Windsor Park Hotel, responded to this review, September 24, 2014
Thank you very much for your great review. Our staff puts forth a great effort to do everything possible to make our guests comfortable and happy. I will be sure to tell all of them that you appreciated all they did for you and your family.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Indonesian first
Madison, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

All other hotel rooms in DC were $500+ a night so I felt like this was a steal for less than $200. But it is super dated, musty smelling, and kind of dumpy. It was fine for 1 night of sleep and not much other time in the room. But I'm not coming running back anytime soon. I thought the walk to the metro station was lovely (over the bridge) and not too far. Nice location; good safe neighborhood.

Stayed July 2014
Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel. You are correct about the walk across Connecticut Ave. Bridge (Taft Bridge). The view overlooks Rock Creek Park. Its nice all the time but its especially beautiful in the fall. The trees turn so many different colors that it could be a destination in itself.
DeWitt, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

I had a reservation for two rooms for a business trip on June 11. Our flight was cancelled into DC so we obviously had no need for the rooms. When I called to cancel the reservation I was told I would still be charged for the rooms because of a 24 hour cancellation policy. I pleaded with the operator that the weather was out of my control and please refund my money. I was told that I needed to speak with the manager who would be in the next morning. The hotel manager has not returned numerous calls regarding this matter. Don't even make a reservation at this hotel.

Room Tip: Choose another hotels with better customer service.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Windsor hotel for 1 night.
Location: The hotel is located within 15-20min walking distance to the zoo, 5-10mins to the center of Adams Morgan (lots of delicious restaurants and interesting shops and a circulator bus stop) 10 mins to 2 metro stations (Woodley Park station and Dupont circle station). If you have small children or have a hard time walking you might want to consider a hotel closer. As for me, I enjoy walking everywhere and found the surrounding area wonderful for people watching and looking at the architecture.
Price : compared to most hotels in the DC area, the cost is much lower.
Room: I had a room with a twin bed and full bed on the 3rd floor. Elevator is available albeit slow. The size is adequate. Amenities included a flat screen TV, radio clock, refrigerator, iron, ironing board, old fashion hair dryer, shampoo, soap (no conditioner/body lotion). The room was clean and not musty smelling. My room had Windows but literally faced a concrete wall so I relied on the TV to check for the weather. The ceiling paint was peeling a bit. The bed was adequate, pillows very flat and cheap. The size was also adequate although I only stayed one night by myself so I didn't have luggage like. Bathroom was clean, well stocked, hot water was plentiful.

This hotel would be perfect for budget travelers looking to spend one or two nights see the major sights plus immerse themselves in the local scene as well. It is a very basic hotel at provides a clean room/bathroom and a place to sleep.

• Stayed June 2014
Thank you very much for your kind review. I only wish that we could have given you another room. We have 4 rooms that are on the ventilation tower and do try to rent them out last when the hotel is full.
Westwood, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

I stayed at the Windsor Park Hotel for 2 nights. I had a conference up the street at the Marriott, but even with the conference's discounted rates, it was too expensive for the two rooms my coworker and I needed. The Windsor Park was half a mile away and in walking distance (although I took the cab while my coworker enjoyed the walk :) This hotel was very clean, although appears to need some updating. The bathroom seemed pretty new, however. My only complaints were a bad wifi signal, too soft a bed and pillows, and a very hot room. My trip was in April and they haven't yet switched to AC. The front desk told us to just open our windows, but without a breeze it didn't do much. I wasn't in the room that often, just to sleep. With that said, it wasn't a bad stay. If we decide to attend the same conference next year, for convenience purposes alone, we will probably just bite the bullet and spend the money at the Marriott since it was a pain in the neck getting a cab in the early morning hours.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

First, walked in to the room and made a joke about the message from the room service: on a greasy pink envelope what was left on the table was written: "Your housekeeper was Dina. We hope that everything done for you has met with your satisfaction." After noticed a dark hair in the sink I decided to keep quiet - OK happens..the location is good and a price is reasonable. BUT after I noticed a leftovers of condoms right next to my bed I started to doubt if covers are clean..Got curious and looked under the bed! DON'T EVEN ASK! PLEASE TELL ME : HOW ROOM SERVICE CAN EXPLAIN A FOOD PACKAGES AND CONDOMS UNDER THE BED? Usually I'm the type of the person who is cleaning up after myself even in the hotels ! BUT sorry - its disgusting to pick up after a bad room service IN MY VACATION! I have been in expensive Vegas hotels and cheap Spain hostels, but there are some limits to everything! Its too late now - but good to know that I will start my morning with a conversation with the people in charge!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
WPHWashington, Manager at Windsor Park Hotel, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Hello Leva B,
We appreciate that you have taken the time to write about your experience at our hotel but we are distressed that it was a negative one. If any of the things mentioned in your review had been brought to the attention of our management or staff there would have been immediate action taken. Since they were not, then I will take this opportunity to communicate with all future guests. Our hotel has come recommended for its cleanliness among other positive things. The situation you have described is highly irregular and we would have immediately given you another room and even an upgrade if you had said anything. We have used a copy of your review and have reprimanded the housekeeper of the floor you were on. Since oversights of this serious a nature have never happened before we will make sure they never happens again.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

My wife and I went to DC to visit our son. Normally stay at the Capital Hilton but that was booked. So we tried the Windsor Park because it was close to our son's apartment. The staff was nice but the hotel needs major overhaul. Paint peeling from the walls, don't like it, but could overlook, rusty medicine cabinet --stuff happens, furniture falling apart -- problem, sloping floor in the sitting area -- concerned, very concerned. Simply put way, way to much money for what get. End on a positive note - free wifi

Room Tip: don't stay there
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear ehg1611,
We truly hope that your stay with us did not affect the pleasure of visiting with your son. Since you are used to staying at the Capital Hilton then a hotel that was built in 1926 may be a bit of a letdown. Our recommendation to all our future guests is to research the information provided on our website. There is a clear description of our property and at least 12 images of the rooms and common areas. If one is accustom to historic buildings they should know that there may be some imperfections that we have no control over and our maintenance staff works very hard to service were needed.