“Too much negativity!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #114 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Geneva
“Too much negativity!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

I have just arrived at the Windsor Park and am surprised by the negativity expressed by some previous reviewers. It is great value for money, very well situated (a few minutes from Connecticut Avenue), everything seems to work and there is free internet access (laptop and desk top). If the critics want something better then there are a lot of other hotels in the area - but at a much higher price of course.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
WPHWashington, Manager at Windsor Park Hotel, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Your response is greatey appreciated. We have always felt that those who have the most negative responses are those that did not research our hotel and find out all the facts about us. We have a very in depth website which describes the age of the building and there are many photos of all areas of the hotel. You are obviously well traveled and have experienced all aspects of the lodging industry. Thank you

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Indonesian first
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

This hotel has a nice old fashioned feel to it and the rooms are great value for money. I was in a room on the fifth floor with 2 others for 3 nights and the 2 queen beds were comfortable and clean. Housekeeping came each day. The bathroom looked much newer than the rest of the hotel and it was also clean. Wi fi worked fine on my floor and in my room. I very much enjoyed the continental breakfast which was an assortment of bagels, muffins, cereal, tea, coffee, juice and bananas. Nice, quiet location and quick walk down hill to Dupont Circle and the metro station there. No complaints about the radiator, our room was set at a comfortable temperature and we didn't have to touch it. I was wary after reading many negative reviews on here, but once again I've discovered that there are so many fussy people out there who only have negative things to say! Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
WPHWashington, Owner at Windsor Park Hotel, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind review. We hope to see you again.
Lancaster, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

find another place to stay--keys not cards? safety!!!--room dirty--bed broken--rust on all fixtures--wow--you guys really need to do some work. Tile floor on bathroom loose. I stayed here as courtesy to a friend who booked it--I would of left, but in no position to do so. This place has so much potential--let it reach that potential--there were a lot of asian speakers in the hotel--booked out of country I guess---they were unhappy as well--one had a kleenex when they opened their door--we both laughed--laughter is the same in all languages.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I stayed here on business. I used to live in Cleveland Park (which is a mile north of this hotel), but recently moved to Maryland and needed a cheap place to stay two nights for work. Aspects of this hotel ranged from terrible to decent, so in no particular order:

1) Location = Woodley Park is an excellent area. It's clean and safe. The hotel is about 0.7 miles north of Dupont. The walk downhill is super easy and fast. It puts you right at the Metro (red line), wonderful restaurants, and a flurry of DC hot-spots. Parking is a bear, though. There's only street parking, and the times are restricted. My advice is to take a cab from the Woodley Park or Dupont metros. Walk down the hill on Connecticut Ave to the Hilton on the left for the easiest place to find a cab.

2) The Smell = in a word, bad. The hotel reaked of stale cigarettes. But I'm also pregnant, so I have a keen sense of smell. Regardless, it was gross.

3) The Staff = very friendly and helpful. They do the best they can with the very limited space and resources they have.

4) The Room = ugh. Where to start. For $168 per night, we were upgraded to a suite on the 5th floor, which was huge. But, it was very old, dated, and uncomfortable. The living room had one sofa chair that fit one person, a tiny flatscreen tv, a trundle bed, and an old desk with wooden chair. My husband and I ended up watching tv from the bed, which was so far away we could hardly see the screen. Sadly, we also ended up sleeping on the daybed...it seemed much cleaner than the queen in the bedroom. Although the walls were paper-thin and the curtains were gossamer (blocking out zero sunlight), I actually slept pretty well.

5) Temperature = As other reviewers mentioned, the temperature controls are a total mess. I was a little cold the first evening (a cool spring night), so I put on the heat. Cold air blasted from the vents, and I gave up. There was a thermostat that is probably as old as the hotel. If this stay had been during the winter or summer, I probably would have checked out immediately.

6) Bathrooms = For me, the bathroom can make or break a hotel. This place got 2 stars because it was very clean, comfortable, and had a decent shower. The water was hot, pressure was good, and the showerhead was new. Maybe I have low standards, but it greatly improved my stay.

7) Incidentals = Free internet is a nice perk (both in the business center and in the rooms). Free breakfast is also nice, but it's a grab-and-go type deal. My husband said the muffins and croissants were good as a quick start to the day. Nothing to write home about, and very little space in the kitchen to eat them.

All in all, I would not recommend this hotel. But, it's very cheap compared to area hotels, and if one is willing to look past the old, outdated feel, it's a fairly comfortable place for a day or two. I did get home and remark that my house is exponentially cleaner than this hotel....which is pretty sad.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

I checked in and checked out. The furniture was old.. The tv did not work and the toilet had a paper strip around it to indicate it had been cleaned. Need I say more. First time that I paid for a room and just could't stay. I didnt care if I had to eat the expense of the room.

• Stayed March 2013
Lincoln, Nebraska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

This hotel is located in the embassy district and although it is old, it is clean, comfortable and quiet. We found the lack of hotel parking to be problematic, but doable. The DuPont Circle Metro stop is 12-15 minutes walk, and most restaurants are about the same distance. The breakfast area is quite small with only three tables for two. There is a 4-person elevator. Our room was a suite, and quite spacious. I would recommend this hotel for those traveling on a budget.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Hotel is in a residential area but avoid as far as I am concerned. All my reasons: there is a flight of stairs to walk up outside to get to the door & with luggage that is a pain. After checking in another flight of stairs to go up. Room is very very small, heating system is hard to figure out & I had to open the window as ac didn't work when it was beautiful out. The floor creaked and walls super thin. Worse part was the next day...hotel staff stopped a friend of mine at the elevator & that was a huge issue. Found out the next day that all visitors have to announced. I decided to end my stay early & glad I did as the next morning they were doing construction on the room next door. Just beyond the worse!!!

Room Tip: Nothing to add
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
WPHWashington, General Manager at Windsor Park Hotel, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Hello lyn0927,
Thank you for your feedback on your stay at the Windsor Park Hotel. Your review can always be helpful to us and other travelers to Washington, DC. The stairs that you mentioned in your review cannot be avoided since the hotel was built in 1926 and is in a historic neighborhood. Our staff is accustomed to helping anyone who asks for help. We could have also helped with the heating system.
The issue that was mentioned has to do with our hotels policy. “All guests must be announced” is printed and displayed in plain view by the stairs. Your guest was asked politely to announce his arrival. I directed him to the house phone so that he could call you before he came up. Unfortunately he did not know the room number so when asked to provide us with the name so we could help, he either did not know it or refused to provide it. Our responsibility is for the safety of our guests. We cannot allow anyone access to the rooms unless we know where they are going or who they are going to see.
The construction to which you are referring to was the maintenance man putting up new drapery rods and drapes in the room two doors from your room. As I mentioned, your review was very helpful since others now know of our stairs (which are pictured on all websites), desire to help our guests and keep them safe, and how we are continuing to improve our accommodations. Thank you.
Sam Najjar, General Manager

Been to Windsor Park Hotel? Share your experiences!