“Cheap for DC...and that's about it” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Windsor Park Hotel

Save Saved
You added Windsor Park Hotel to your Saves list
Windsor Park Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2116 Kalorama Rd NW, Washington DC, DC 20008 (Upper Northwest)   |
Ranked #108 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Cheap for DC...and that's about it”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I stayed here on business. I used to live in Cleveland Park (which is a mile north of this hotel), but recently moved to Maryland and needed a cheap place to stay two nights for work. Aspects of this hotel ranged from terrible to decent, so in no particular order:

1) Location = Woodley Park is an excellent area. It's clean and safe. The hotel is about 0.7 miles north of Dupont. The walk downhill is super easy and fast. It puts you right at the Metro (red line), wonderful restaurants, and a flurry of DC hot-spots. Parking is a bear, though. There's only street parking, and the times are restricted. My advice is to take a cab from the Woodley Park or Dupont metros. Walk down the hill on Connecticut Ave to the Hilton on the left for the easiest place to find a cab.

2) The Smell = in a word, bad. The hotel reaked of stale cigarettes. But I'm also pregnant, so I have a keen sense of smell. Regardless, it was gross.

3) The Staff = very friendly and helpful. They do the best they can with the very limited space and resources they have.

4) The Room = ugh. Where to start. For $168 per night, we were upgraded to a suite on the 5th floor, which was huge. But, it was very old, dated, and uncomfortable. The living room had one sofa chair that fit one person, a tiny flatscreen tv, a trundle bed, and an old desk with wooden chair. My husband and I ended up watching tv from the bed, which was so far away we could hardly see the screen. Sadly, we also ended up sleeping on the daybed...it seemed much cleaner than the queen in the bedroom. Although the walls were paper-thin and the curtains were gossamer (blocking out zero sunlight), I actually slept pretty well.

5) Temperature = As other reviewers mentioned, the temperature controls are a total mess. I was a little cold the first evening (a cool spring night), so I put on the heat. Cold air blasted from the vents, and I gave up. There was a thermostat that is probably as old as the hotel. If this stay had been during the winter or summer, I probably would have checked out immediately.

6) Bathrooms = For me, the bathroom can make or break a hotel. This place got 2 stars because it was very clean, comfortable, and had a decent shower. The water was hot, pressure was good, and the showerhead was new. Maybe I have low standards, but it greatly improved my stay.

7) Incidentals = Free internet is a nice perk (both in the business center and in the rooms). Free breakfast is also nice, but it's a grab-and-go type deal. My husband said the muffins and croissants were good as a quick start to the day. Nothing to write home about, and very little space in the kitchen to eat them.

All in all, I would not recommend this hotel. But, it's very cheap compared to area hotels, and if one is willing to look past the old, outdated feel, it's a fairly comfortable place for a day or two. I did get home and remark that my house is exponentially cleaner than this hotel....which is pretty sad.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

114 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Indonesian first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

I checked in and checked out. The furniture was old.. The tv did not work and the toilet had a paper strip around it to indicate it had been cleaned. Need I say more. First time that I paid for a room and just could't stay. I didnt care if I had to eat the expense of the room.

• Stayed March 2013
Waynesboro, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

This hotel is located in the embassy district and although it is old, it is clean, comfortable and quiet. We found the lack of hotel parking to be problematic, but doable. The DuPont Circle Metro stop is 12-15 minutes walk, and most restaurants are about the same distance. The breakfast area is quite small with only three tables for two. There is a 4-person elevator. Our room was a suite, and quite spacious. I would recommend this hotel for those traveling on a budget.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Hotel is in a residential area but avoid as far as I am concerned. All my reasons: there is a flight of stairs to walk up outside to get to the door & with luggage that is a pain. After checking in another flight of stairs to go up. Room is very very small, heating system is hard to figure out & I had to open the window as ac didn't work when it was beautiful out. The floor creaked and walls super thin. Worse part was the next day...hotel staff stopped a friend of mine at the elevator & that was a huge issue. Found out the next day that all visitors have to announced. I decided to end my stay early & glad I did as the next morning they were doing construction on the room next door. Just beyond the worse!!!

Room Tip: Nothing to add
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
WPHWashington, General Manager at Windsor Park Hotel, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Hello lyn0927,
Thank you for your feedback on your stay at the Windsor Park Hotel. Your review can always be helpful to us and other travelers to Washington, DC. The stairs that you mentioned in your review cannot be avoided since the hotel was built in 1926 and is in a historic neighborhood. Our staff is accustomed to helping anyone who asks for help. We could have also helped with the heating system.
The issue that was mentioned has to do with our hotels policy. “All guests must be announced” is printed and displayed in plain view by the stairs. Your guest was asked politely to announce his arrival. I directed him to the house phone so that he could call you before he came up. Unfortunately he did not know the room number so when asked to provide us with the name so we could help, he either did not know it or refused to provide it. Our responsibility is for the safety of our guests. We cannot allow anyone access to the rooms unless we know where they are going or who they are going to see.
The construction to which you are referring to was the maintenance man putting up new drapery rods and drapes in the room two doors from your room. As I mentioned, your review was very helpful since others now know of our stairs (which are pictured on all websites), desire to help our guests and keep them safe, and how we are continuing to improve our accommodations. Thank you.
Sam Najjar, General Manager
Manassas, Va
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

This hotel is a great deal for Washington D.C. It is very comfortable and quiet. The staff was friendly and the rooms are clean and spacious, they also have a lovely lobby with a victorian decor that my wife was obsessed with. The breakfast was adequit to get us going in the morning. The metro and many nice restaurants are about a 5 to 6 minute walk from the hotel, and that metro line which i beleive is "red" will take you right down town. My family was happy with this hotel and we will return.

Room Tip: Just ask for a nice quiet room, the staff seems to aim to please.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Kuwait City, Kuwait
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Basic Standard Hotel in Washington,,,in a quiet neighborhood. Would have to walk down the road 500mtrs. to a restaurant. Also would have to take a taxi 10mins ride to all the sight-seeing spots as no way one would be walking from this hotel. Stayed here for 3ngts and paid $:215/- a night which was too expensive for what you get,,,but then again it was supposed to be one of the cheaper hotels in DC. They offer you some Coffee and Croissants at the breakfast area and so you start your day. Spent 3 nights here on a sight-seeing trip of DC and all other hotels checked online seem expensive.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Gainesville, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

So, I'll start by saying I spent the previous weekend at the Ritz Carlton in Amelia Island, Florida, which is pretty luxurious. It was quite a shock to my system to walk into my room at the Windsor Park Hotel after that. The rooms are as dated as the previous reviewers say. Beds had thin polyester coverlets, one cotton blanket and a sheet. The TVs were definitely dated - maybe still have tubes? I didn't even turn mine on. There is no way to adjust the temperature in your room. The thermostats might be original to the dated buidling - you can turn on the heat or A/C but there is no temperature regulator. On my first night, I switched on the heat, heard the fan turn on and went straight to sleep only to wake at 545 am absolutely freezing. There was NO heat coming out! The man at the front desk was helpful, tho and allowed me to pick an alternative room, though it was a bit of a hassle changing rooms at 6am! While the next room was also very dated, it was clean - particularly the bathroom. I had to laugh as I haven't seen a paper tag across a toilet saying "Sanitized for your protection" in about 20 years.
I thought the location was fine and the WiFi worked in both of the rooms I had. For those with ambulation problems, consider an alternative location as you have to go up several stairs (with your luggage) to access the elevator.
The continental breakfast was limited - only carbohydrates (plain croissants and muffins) and coffee or tea and is offered in a tiny kitchen which has a very drafty window. Luckily, there were several really tasty restaurants within walking distance (Open City has great breakfasts).
I felt safe walking day and night. There's easy cab access - if one's not right outside, the person at the front desk will call one and you'll be on your way in 5 minutes or so.
While I wouldn't have picked this place if I had actually been paying attention (the conference I was attending recommended it when the conference hotel was booked up and I took it without checking Tripadvisor reviews), it was okay. I was there to work and was only in the hotel to sleep. However, I will never again fail to check Tripadvisor hotel reviews!!

Room Tip: There is a building currently (November 2012) being demolished just across the street from the front...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Windsor Park Hotel? Share your experiences!