“More like a home than a hostel” 5 of 5 stars

You added Capitol City Hostel to your Saves list
Capitol City Hostel
2411 Benning Road NE, Washington DC, DC 20002   |
Melbourne
“More like a home than a hostel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

When you stay with Bill at the hostel, it's as if you're staying in a home, not a hostel. Most people hangout in the common room at the front of the house where the tv and computers are. The bedrooms are upstairs.
The bedrooms themselves are great because of the beds, they're massive and very comfortable.
Bill is a handy host who can tell you anything about DC and give you some great tips on what to do or see around the city.
The price is right, and the location is great. You can catch the X2 bus out the front and head straight downtown for $1.70 a ride.
I thoroughly enjoyed staying at this hostel and would recommend it to anyone who wants a cheap, clean, homely hostel to stay in when in DC.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

Having travelled across the length of the U.S., staying in lots of hostels of all different types, this was one of the best. The man who runs the place is very kind and helpful, providing lots of maps and guides to us novices about the area, along with hints and tips on how to see the sites in the limited time that we had. We wouldn't have had just a great time if it wasn't for his advice! There was a TV area and several computers, which made the whole place very social and meant that we could meet lots of different people. Whilst a little rough around the edges, the room was clean, and quiet. This isn't really a hostel, but a friendly home that you're invited into and made to feel welcome by everyone. Washington DC as a whole isn't the nicest of places in terms of crime, but this hostel made me feel genuinely safe. The only advise I would give that I would give to future travellers, is that the there isn't a great number of bathroom/shower facilities (3 or 4 showers for the 16 or so people who stay at one time), so during busy periods I would recommend getting up in plenty of time (just in case!). Overall, this hostel is a very traditional, warm and friendly hostel, which was great value for $$$!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Mississauga, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

This was my third stay at CCH but it was the first time with my wife and 15 year-old son. As usual, Bill met us at the front door and warmly gave us a thorough tour of the house. I really like the fact that it is a house. No locked dorm-room doors and 24-hour access.
The second night, at midnight, Bill came upstairs to our floor to gently stifle a number of hostellers who were talking loudly with their door open. I really appreciated that.
The hostel was clean, bed linen fresh and plenty of pillows.
My son enjoyed the free WiFi and I made extensive use of the free Internet to plan our 3-day itinerary.
I highly recommend this hostel with its friendly, helpful owner Bill.

Room Tip: Back rooms are away from the street but the noise is tolerable.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

Looking at other reviews, I had to leap to the defence of this hostel which I stayed in with my girlfriend for 7 days (longer than a lot of those previous reviewers). Sure the neighbourhood is grimy and a bit dodgy. But in all the 7 days there, where we took the local bus at least twice a day, not once were we put in danger ie its not as scary as it seems. The hostel is as basic as it gets, but the sheets we had were clean, and NO BED BUGS, and certainly no complaints of that nature from anyone else there, and it was a packed household.
Bill is as friendly as can be and welcomes you like he knows you - you wont get this in a lot of hostels. Free internet, free toast and peanut butter all day...fantastic for the long weary traveller. Thanks again Bill!
Tip - check out Bills wall of "thank you" notes - the entire wall is covered with them from people all over the world.(we left some Scottish coins glued to a piece of paper with a thank you message )

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Munich, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

This Hostel is a bit outside the city center but walking is only half an hour and there is a bus in front of the door. The Owner is really really nice and helps you with everything! There is free Internet with free Computers which is very comfortable if you don't have an Notebook but there is free WiFi, too. Only 24 Dollar with Taxes included is very good for this nice place and there is always some free food if you are hungry!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
EstherWNZ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2010 via mobile

I stayed there last week and am still being attacked by those burry little creatures. I can't get rid of them. My friend in another room also suffered at the mercy if the creepy crawlies!

Location isn't great but public transport is easy to where you want to go.

This isn't really a hostel but more of a converted house with bunk beds in the spare rooms while the owner lives in a room of the kitchen.

Last resort hostel.

• Stayed October 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

I'm not going to lie.......Bill is a legend. He will help you with anything, and after nearly being homeless I was very grateful to be able to stay here.

But good grief......we were ravished by BED BUGS, they literally made a 3 course meal out of us! Ive never been so itchy in all my life....

Me and a friend went next door to the Chinese takeout place.....BIG MISTAKE! A local approached us telling us about how he'd just got out of jail and was prepared to rob people (while eyeballing our handbags)...Hmm. Scary.

Positives....Bill is lovely, free internet, free peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

If you can see past the bed bugs, and scary local people then go for it! Be be warned....

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Capitol City Hostel? Share your experiences!