“Wow wow wow” 4 of 5 stars

(202) 524-5322
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Partisan is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #333 of 2,709 Restaurants in Washington DC
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Washington DC
“Wow wow wow”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

How many restaurants do something like "Classic American with a twist" or "Contemporary American" and you go thinking it may be different... but it's the same old stuff.

Wow was The Partisan different. Their drinks were unique. Their menu- even the design- was different.

And the bone-in ribeye, though not cheap, was just about the best cut of meat you can have ever. I've never, ever seen a restaurant serve it this way: perfectly rested, almost room temperature, no drippy bloody mess, all the juices reabsorbed before carving, and the combo of shaved horseradish and celery on top was unique, quirky and delicious.

I love this place. Up next: the pig's head. I am eager to try it!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Greensboro, North Carolina
“Fabulous drinks and a great menu!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

Neighborhood Restaurant Group has another home run! I was initially skeptical because there is a huge charcuterie menu and I don't eat pork or red meat but there are a number of other items on the menu that look great, including the cheese plate. The bar in the back is a great space with inventive cocktails and a great craft beer selection!! Eddie at the bar was very knowledgable about beer and cocktails in general and was great when we had questions. A great start to my evening!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Legless Langostinos and Other Minor Misfires”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

I wanted to love this place. I love that they make their charcuterie in-house. I love their beer list. (Their wine list was okay.) And the atmosphere was great. The sausages curing behind glass in the main dining area are really cool. And the food was, for the most part, very good. Our party of three had a number of menu items. (Don't judge.) We started with the red wine candied nuts. These were completely hum-drum. There was nothing about these nuts that made me think they had ever been in contact with red wine. They were your standard roasted nuts, with a hint of spice and a hint of sweetness. Good, but certainly not great. Next we had a local asparagus dish, some crispy wild nettles, and the olive oil yukon gold potatoes. All three dishes were good but slightly flawed. Both the nettles and the asparagus were served on a bed of sauce: a romesco-like sauce for the asparagus and a thick, mayo/aioli-like sauce for the nettles. My issue was that the sauces overpowered the vegetables. The vegetables were great. And if you're going to go out of your way to serve fresh, locally sourced veggies, then let the veggies shine through. Don't drown them in heavy sauces. A relatively minor point but a point nevertheless. The potatoes were good, although I thought they tasted more of olive oil than of potato. I should confess that I love a good creamy, buttery mashed potato. These were not those potatoes. One member of party loved the potatoes, but for me, they fell short. They didn't deliver the richness and the lush, velvety texture that I want in a mashed potato. Another minor point, but the points add up. Those "starters" were followed by four larger plates: baked ricotta stuffed pasta; Spanish langostines; roasted foie gras; and rotissi-fried chicken. Three of the four dishes had flaws. The foie gras was great. The kitchen didn't try to do too much with it. It was a simple presentation and it was executed well. Kudos on this dish. The other three had some issues. The pasta was extremely lemony and heavy. It had no textural contrast. It was a bit like eating something that had been pureed for person to eat with a spoon. Between the textural issue, the overpowering lemon, and the serious "weight" of the dish (there was nothing light and delicate about it), I think this might have been the worst thing we ordered. The rotissi-fried chicken tasted almost exactly like KFC's original recipe--but for a lot more money. The concept of frying a rotisserie chicken was too clever by half. Probably because of the technique employed, several of the pieces of chicken were missing significant chunks of their skin. And let's face it, the skin is the best part of a piece of fried chicken! And I'm not kidding when I say that I think someone in the kitchen must have, at some point, worked at KFC and stolen the Colonel's Secret Recipe. This chicken tasted exactly like the Colonel's. That's not necessary an indictment, but neither is it high praise. And finally, the langostines came out with only two langostines on the plate. Not unexpected. But one of the langostines only had one of its claws. That's not good. Don't serve me a mutilated crustacean. I pointed this out to our waiter and he said he would take the information back to the kitchen. Who knows if he did or he didn't but we didn't hear anything else about it. This was the low point of the meal. Limbless langostines just aren't the way to go. After eating our amputee shellfish, we decided to try two desserts. (Again, don't judge.) We had the Snickers terrine and the fried apple pie. Both were good, but again, nothing to write home about. The terrine was heavy on peanut butter. It tasted more like a Reese's peanut butter cup than a Snickers. And the apple pie tasted exactly--I mean exactly--like the old McDonald's apple pies from before they made them "healthier". Again, this isn't necessarily a bad thing. Those apple pies were delicious. I'm just giving you a description so you'll know what to expect. That was it. We were full. The food was good but not great and many of the dishes had issues. I'd go again to try the charcuterie. And hopefully they'll find a lighter touch with the sauces in their vegetable dishes. And most importantly, hopefully they'll find some shellfish that have all their claws!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere