“What a Ride” 5 of 5 stars

$49*
and up
Big Bus Washington DC Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
More attraction details
Owner description: The open-top deck of a Big Bus tour is the best way to see Washington DC. Sit back and relax as you are transported passed the iconic landmarks that make America's Capital so recognizable and special. Our sightseeing tours are designed to provide a flexible approach to city discovery. Your hop-on, hop-off ticket provides you the freedom to get off the bus to explore and visit attractions. Buses run regularly so re-joining the tour is easy.
Easton, Massachusetts
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“What a Ride”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

Our group of 7 friends took a trip to DC to start off our 2014 Camping season.We stayed at Cherry Hill Park and took the Metro to DC. So being without a car we decided to jump on the Big Bus Tour. We took the 24 hour all zone tour. When we got on the Red Tour we met up with Carlton the tour guide and Faith The Coach Operator. What a pair. The professionalism and ability to perform their duties are the tops in their fields. The Tour Guide, Carlton, got more people involved in the tour and asking questions and offering their own input to enhance the trip. The Driver maneuvered the bus with the skill of a seasoned professional. She surely knew how to operate the coach skilfully. As a former coach operator and tour guide I know when I see the best at work and these two are it. Big thumbs up for the Big Bus Tour.

Athens, Tennessee
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Moonlight tour was amazing.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

My friends and I took the moonlight tour and thoroughly enjoyed it. You are able to get off the bus and take photos while seeing the sites of Washington at night. As we were on a short time period, we were able to see many sites and monuments on this tour, including the cherry blossom buds. Learning about the history of the buildings and sites as we rode around Washington made the tour even better. Sally was our tour guide and J.J. was our driver. They both did a wonderful job. We would highly recommend this tour to anyone trying to get as much in as they can on limited time. Keep up the good work!

Plymouth, Massachusetts
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Thumbs up for the red and thumbs down for the yellow loop”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

I booked our tour on line, easy way but not necessary to make advanced booking. We left from Union Station on the red loop in the morning, had a wonderful guide named Trinity, She was knowledgeable and provided entertaining facts, just what you look for in a tour guide. Plenty of opportunities to take pictures. Don't panic if you are not on the correct side of the bus to take a photo, most likely you will see it again at a later point. After lunch we hopped on the yellow bus line. This was a recorded tour, the bus travelled much too fast, hardly an opportunity to snap a photo. By the time the automated guide pointed out a specific sight we had passed it or had no clue to where it was really located "i.e. the 9 foot wide house in Georgetown". In the travel lull between announcements we had to listen to the same Souza march "Stars and Stripes" over and over! I love Souza marches, why can't they at least play a variety of them. My seat neighbor was a navy veteran traveling with his wife and another couple, they got so tired of it, they left the bus and decided to walk. We had planned to take the green loop too, but unfortunately our green bus had mechanical problems. We were told it would be a 10 minute wait, but after a very cold 30 minutes we decided we did not care which bus would come along, just get us back to Union Station! - For more than forty years we have always included in our visits to unfamiliar cities in the USA and abroad a guided tour to get an overview of our destination, this is one was a mixed bag "high five" for red and boo to yellow!

Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina
“Catch it all !!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

My wife was there on business so our 17 year old son and myself decided to try and get in as much as we could in a short time. Bingo. On the advice of a friend he said grab a tour bus from union station and roll on! Martin was our driver and Joey was our guide. They made the last part of both a fun and exhausting day a blast. I would highly recommend these guys to anyone trying to get as much in as they can on limited time. Thanks Big Bus Tours!!!!

Austin, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Buyer Beware”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

I purchased two Big Bus Tour tickets for the 48 hour loop for myself and my friend.
It is a great way to see the sites and the first day of the tour went very smoothly, however the second day was a nightmare.

We arrived at Union station where most of the buses start their tour and we were just planning on riding the bus into Georgetown to do some shopping and grab some lunch as the metro doesn't stop in Georgetown and a cab would have been $$$.
The bus was late; however it was a very busy weekend with lots of traffic so we understood/didn't mind the wait. The bus arrived and we started our tour; the driver didn't seem all that experienced and we had a lot of "close calls" with other drivers, again busy day, let it slide. THEN the bus BROKE DOWN. Wondering how I knew the bus broke down? I figured it our after we sat through 3 light changes. No one came upstairs (I was on the top of the bus) and let us know what was going on, we just got honked at and cursed out by the traffic.

Finally we went downstairs and the driver and the guide were NOWHERE to be seen and after standing around for a while we decided to try and hoof it to the next stop. Again; 0 communication and we had to find the next stop our self but guess what? The next stop wasn't even marked with "Big Bus Tour" so we only walked past it over and over.

What is even worse is there were a lot of tourists who didn't speak any English on the tour; BBT had multiple languages for their pre-recorded tour so I can understand why they were on the bus; however NOT ONLY did they strand us, they stranded us with no clue where we were, how to get to the next stop, when the next bus was coming.

This ordeal lasted us over 3 hours; taking up most of our day light and ruined an entire day of site seeing. We finally managed to get on another bus after calling the 1800 number 3+ times but it only shuttled us back to the end of the line.
The Cherry on top was the bus we were taking to get to our final destination was over 1 hour late, dropping us off at the last stop leaving us no time to see Arlington National Cemetery because THE BUS WON'T PICK YOU UP AGAIN AFTER 5, so I had to take the metro (1 hour +) to get back to the hotel I'm staying at.

Finally when I called Customer Service they told me there were no refunds because I'd taken the tour. Are you serious? It's not our fault the bus they put us on BROKE DOWN.

I fell taken advantage of and will be forced to dispute this with my credit card because I will NOT be paying for the second day of a tour I couldn't take.

Visited April 2014
Jay K, General Manager at Big Bus Tours Washington DC, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
ElviraDR,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent experience on the Big Bus tour of Washington DC. I apologize for any inconvenience you may have endured as a result of the mechanical failure. Unfortunately with mechanical defects, they are unpredictable therefore I do apologize that the second day was not as good as first.

In addition to the bus stop signs, we do offer an interactive mobile application with real-time global positioning easily downloadable by the QR code on the brochure. The application will pin-point your location relative to the location of each our stops for your convenience.

If there is additional information you would like to provide, feel free to email me directly at JayK@bigbustours.com. Again thank you for your feedback.

Jay Kelly

Been to Big Bus Tours Washington DC? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Big Bus Tours Washington DC, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.