“Brilliant is the only word for this Inn/Guest House” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
BOOK DIRECT – BEST RATES
Ranked #2 of 49 Washington DC B&B and Inns
Cambridge
“Brilliant is the only word for this Inn/Guest House”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

We stayed here last year (2012) for 3 days and revisiting Washington DC again this year (2013) we stayed again, for 5 nights this time. Laura and Raymond, the owners, along with her great team of Angela and Betty, are so welcoming, friendly and helpful that it is better than any 5* hotel: Staying here spoils you for anywhere else, really. Set in a quiet suburb of DC but within easy and flat walking distance of metro, local restaurants and taxis, the location is ideal. The house is a haven of peace, comfort, sophistication and yet has a "homeliness" - you really do feel welcome. The hosts, Laura and occasionally husband Raymond when he hasn't rushed off early to work, sit at the large dining table at breakfast to engage guests in conversation, introduce guests to each other and keep an eagle eye on breakfast provisions which are always fresh and plentiful. They also host an afternoon "wine and nibbles" session every day, showing a genuine interest in their guests activities and interests. I always enjoy stimulating and interesting conversations with them. Laura, Angela and Betty are extremely helpful with any advice or assistance and will order cabs, tickets etc if asked.

Room Tip: Stay in one of the upstairs rooms, not the ones in the basement.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

489 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

We stayed at the Embassy Circle Guest House for four nights during our anniversary trip to DC and I can't say enough about it. We loved it! We are not usually B&B people, but I wouldn't hesitate to book a room here again. The rooms were nicely furnished, bathrooms updated and anything you need could be found at the B&B. It felt more like staying at a home of friend then a hotel. No TVs in the rooms but we knew that before we left (and the conversations with other guest were much more entertaining!).

Breakfast, evening snacks and drinks were very tasty. Since we were there during the government shutdown, it was wonderful to have other guests and Raymond and Laura to talk with and find alternate plans during our trip. Every one of their suggestions was amazing (they know all the restaurants and best ways to get around the city).

Location wise-it doesn't get any better. Very close to the Dupont Metro station. Numerous restaurants and shopping nearby. A beautiful neighborhood for walking and seeing all the areas embassies.

We can not wait to return to this amazing B&B.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

This is our second stay at the Embassy Circle Guest House-my boyfriend and I absolutely love this place. I really can't rate it highly enough. There is a reason that this guest house is rated so highly. Researching the 'right' place to stay can be so time consuming, yet it is such an important part of your holiday and can either make or break your trip. Raymond and Laura have just got everything right with their guest house and the impeccable service that they provide. I am not the easiest person to please, as I travel often and expect a certain level of style, sophistication and service. Embassy Circle Guest House exceeded my expectation on all accounts and has now made DC one of my favourite weekend getaways. Raymond and Laura understand hospitality and deliver it to perfection. We can't wait to come back.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Our 4 night odyssey with Laura and Raymond in October 2013 turned out to be the delight of the year. We are well traveled, discerning and knowledgable about hospitality. We think Embassy Circle Guest House could be #1 in America.
At least, one of our hosts was always present at either breakfast or happy hour to not only oversee delicious and extensive fare, but to introduce fellow travelers, suggest itineraries, and to bring about good old fashioned conversation and friendship into the mix.
I should note, that we were in Washington when the government had "shut down" all the museums and monuments, and none the less, our visit was rich and enjoyable because of the extra measures to suggest "things to do", provided by our hosts and staff.
The public rooms are open and inviting with art of interest and beautiful accessories. We stayed in the smallest room in the house, but it was thoughtfully laid out to give us ample space.
We saw some of the 3rd floor rooms that were beyond spacious. All rooms are attractively appointed with antiques, comfortable beds and a touch of whimsey. Everything is spotless.
If architecture and fine craftsmanship are important to you, this is your place. If location and convenience to public transportation and restaurants figure into your needs, this is your place. If an elegant and quiet neighborhood rings your bell, this is your place. Would we go back again? In a heartbeat! Like so many of our fellow "housemates", we will include time during our next trip to the east coast to return to the Embassy Circle Guest House. Thank you Laura and Raymond.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

My sister Anna and I stayed for three nights. The location is great ,near Connecticut Ave and DuPont circle subway. The staff Angela, Noel and Betty couldn't have been more friendly and helpful. Laura and Raymond were charming hosts. Raymond prepared a delicious Lebanese banquet one evening. Laura even kindly drove us to thee station when our cab was held up in traffic .
Highly recommend staying here! The rooms were roomy and immaculate and tastefully decorated. Lots of eateries close by too.

Stayed October 2013
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 4 nights in late September and all we can say is WOW!
We prefer to stay in B&B's while on vacation and Laura and Raymond made our stay at Embassy Circle feel just like being with old friends-comfortable, charming and just the "salt of the earth".
So what made this the most special B&B'S experience every:
~evening one after drinks, Raymond invited all the guest to partake in a traditional Lebanese feast that he and the staff had spent all afternoon preparing and cooking. Not only was it great food, he explained each dish and how it was prepared. All we had room for that night was to walk around the local cafe and buy a superb gelato.
~evening two was Raymond's follow up of a degustation of Lebanese deserts. We missed those delights as we were back late from sightseeing but all reports from the other guests were excellent
~ they are great conversationalists and have a good sense of humour. They or the staff always seem to be on hand to deal with any questions, helpful suggestions, organise cloths washing in house, book cabs/restaurants etc. nothing seems to be a trouble.
~ with 4 other guests we had dinner out with Raymond and Laura at a special restaurant they favour and it was an exceptional night on all accounts.
The house itself is situated in a quite leafy district along with many diplomatic missions. It's a great house, maintained to a very high standard with good decor.
The rooms are a touch on the smallish size but were big enough for our needs. Beds are top class and we slept soundly.
Dupont Circle district where the Embassy Circle is located is only a short metro ride into central DC, and there are numerous excellent cafes, bars and restaurants in easy walking distance.
If we ever get back to DC, we wouldn't consider staying anywhere else.

A 5 star experience and then some!

Room Tip: From our experience and discussions with other guests, all rooms are equally quiet
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Shreveport, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

My significant other and I recently stayed here for three nights. Upon arrival we were greeted by Angela who put our bags in the elevator and then walked us up the stairs to room 121 on the second floor. The room was bright and large with a ceiling fan, king bed and ample space for the sitting area. Angela showed us how everything worked, then left us to get settled.

The room: Very nice decor, the bed was firm without being hard and the layers of sheets and blankets were very comfortable. You can't control the temperature in the house, but there is a ceiling fan (one setting) if you want to move the air around. No TV, but I knew that before arriving and there was a rather loud desk clock (I'm a light sleeper) that I had to put in drawer at night. There is plenty of space to hang clothes and put them away in a dresser. The bathroom is a little tight. While nicely updated, there's only one sink and a shower stall. The shower water temperature can be a little touchy and I agree with another poster that said the pressure isn't quite as strong as I would have liked. I appreciated the low flush toilet which works well. The room is fairly quiet but you can hear traffic, sirens and trash trucks that are typical of city lodgings. The windows are not double paned or insulated, but you can open them for a nice breeze.

Breakfast: Mostly continental with fruit and yogurt, a few cereals, cheeses, breads and usually a quiche or other small hot item, like pancakes. While this was a decent breakfast offering, many B&B's that I have stayed at typically offer more in terms of a hot entree and I just felt like this breakfast fell slightly short of expectations. Also we tended to come down closer to 9am and it appears that some choices are not refreshed if you come down later than everyone else so rise early if you want the full offering. One of the awesome things about this B&B is that they provide special requests items. My SO drinks almond milk and I drink soy and they stocked both for our visit which was very nice.

Location and Staff: The number one reason to stay here is the awesome location. The beautiful tree-lined streets offer shade on a warm day and a pleasant walk to Connecticut Street where there are great restaurants and its an easy stroll to the Metro Station. Don't bring a car, you will not need it. If you are looking for a reasonably priced meal, I recommend Sette Osteria and if you are looking for an upscale delicious dining experience, I would get reservations at Nora's. The staff is wonderful helping with check-in and check-out, taking bottles for recycling and showing you where all the snacks are. Laura also put together an awesome list for the guests so we could see what attractions were open during the government shutdown.

A few housekeeping items: The only item I wish had been covered upon arrival was the prompt payment of the bill. I didn't read the details in our arrival packet as I was rushing out the door after check-in, but unlike most accomadations you pay up front the day you check-in. It makes check-out very easy but I got the feeling that I didn't pay it fast enough (next morning) and it made me feel uncomfortable. I would have paid the second I walked in if it had been told to me directly. So to save you any misunderstanding, take your invoice downstairs after you check-in. Make sure you leave the room by noon so they can freshen it up for you. I would have liked one more trashcan in the bedroom but this is only a minor issue.

Overall this is a nice, clean B&B, with a warm staff, a spacious room and an excellent location for restaurants, the metro and sightseeing in general. I would stay here again rather than in a hotel should my travels bring me to DC again.

Room Tip: We enjoyed room 121 on the second floor, facing the front of the house. It's next to the stairca...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Embassy Circle Guest House? Share your experiences!