“Look no further” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 49 Washington DC B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“Look no further”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

This is our second stay at the Embassy Circle Guest House-my boyfriend and I absolutely love this place. I really can't rate it highly enough. There is a reason that this guest house is rated so highly. Researching the 'right' place to stay can be so time consuming, yet it is such an important part of your holiday and can either make or break your trip. Raymond and Laura have just got everything right with their guest house and the impeccable service that they provide. I am not the easiest person to please, as I travel often and expect a certain level of style, sophistication and service. Embassy Circle Guest House exceeded my expectation on all accounts and has now made DC one of my favourite weekend getaways. Raymond and Laura understand hospitality and deliver it to perfection. We can't wait to come back.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Our 4 night odyssey with Laura and Raymond in October 2013 turned out to be the delight of the year. We are well traveled, discerning and knowledgable about hospitality. We think Embassy Circle Guest House could be #1 in America.
At least, one of our hosts was always present at either breakfast or happy hour to not only oversee delicious and extensive fare, but to introduce fellow travelers, suggest itineraries, and to bring about good old fashioned conversation and friendship into the mix.
I should note, that we were in Washington when the government had "shut down" all the museums and monuments, and none the less, our visit was rich and enjoyable because of the extra measures to suggest "things to do", provided by our hosts and staff.
The public rooms are open and inviting with art of interest and beautiful accessories. We stayed in the smallest room in the house, but it was thoughtfully laid out to give us ample space.
We saw some of the 3rd floor rooms that were beyond spacious. All rooms are attractively appointed with antiques, comfortable beds and a touch of whimsey. Everything is spotless.
If architecture and fine craftsmanship are important to you, this is your place. If location and convenience to public transportation and restaurants figure into your needs, this is your place. If an elegant and quiet neighborhood rings your bell, this is your place. Would we go back again? In a heartbeat! Like so many of our fellow "housemates", we will include time during our next trip to the east coast to return to the Embassy Circle Guest House. Thank you Laura and Raymond.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

My sister Anna and I stayed for three nights. The location is great ,near Connecticut Ave and DuPont circle subway. The staff Angela, Noel and Betty couldn't have been more friendly and helpful. Laura and Raymond were charming hosts. Raymond prepared a delicious Lebanese banquet one evening. Laura even kindly drove us to thee station when our cab was held up in traffic .
Highly recommend staying here! The rooms were roomy and immaculate and tastefully decorated. Lots of eateries close by too.

Stayed October 2013
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 4 nights in late September and all we can say is WOW!
We prefer to stay in B&B's while on vacation and Laura and Raymond made our stay at Embassy Circle feel just like being with old friends-comfortable, charming and just the "salt of the earth".
So what made this the most special B&B'S experience every:
~evening one after drinks, Raymond invited all the guest to partake in a traditional Lebanese feast that he and the staff had spent all afternoon preparing and cooking. Not only was it great food, he explained each dish and how it was prepared. All we had room for that night was to walk around the local cafe and buy a superb gelato.
~evening two was Raymond's follow up of a degustation of Lebanese deserts. We missed those delights as we were back late from sightseeing but all reports from the other guests were excellent
~ they are great conversationalists and have a good sense of humour. They or the staff always seem to be on hand to deal with any questions, helpful suggestions, organise cloths washing in house, book cabs/restaurants etc. nothing seems to be a trouble.
~ with 4 other guests we had dinner out with Raymond and Laura at a special restaurant they favour and it was an exceptional night on all accounts.
The house itself is situated in a quite leafy district along with many diplomatic missions. It's a great house, maintained to a very high standard with good decor.
The rooms are a touch on the smallish size but were big enough for our needs. Beds are top class and we slept soundly.
Dupont Circle district where the Embassy Circle is located is only a short metro ride into central DC, and there are numerous excellent cafes, bars and restaurants in easy walking distance.
If we ever get back to DC, we wouldn't consider staying anywhere else.

A 5 star experience and then some!

Room Tip: From our experience and discussions with other guests, all rooms are equally quiet
Shreveport, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

My significant other and I recently stayed here for three nights. Upon arrival we were greeted by Angela who put our bags in the elevator and then walked us up the stairs to room 121 on the second floor. The room was bright and large with a ceiling fan, king bed and ample space for the sitting area. Angela showed us how everything worked, then left us to get settled.

The room: Very nice decor, the bed was firm without being hard and the layers of sheets and blankets were very comfortable. You can't control the temperature in the house, but there is a ceiling fan (one setting) if you want to move the air around. No TV, but I knew that before arriving and there was a rather loud desk clock (I'm a light sleeper) that I had to put in drawer at night. There is plenty of space to hang clothes and put them away in a dresser. The bathroom is a little tight. While nicely updated, there's only one sink and a shower stall. The shower water temperature can be a little touchy and I agree with another poster that said the pressure isn't quite as strong as I would have liked. I appreciated the low flush toilet which works well. The room is fairly quiet but you can hear traffic, sirens and trash trucks that are typical of city lodgings. The windows are not double paned or insulated, but you can open them for a nice breeze.

Breakfast: Mostly continental with fruit and yogurt, a few cereals, cheeses, breads and usually a quiche or other small hot item, like pancakes. While this was a decent breakfast offering, many B&B's that I have stayed at typically offer more in terms of a hot entree and I just felt like this breakfast fell slightly short of expectations. Also we tended to come down closer to 9am and it appears that some choices are not refreshed if you come down later than everyone else so rise early if you want the full offering. One of the awesome things about this B&B is that they provide special requests items. My SO drinks almond milk and I drink soy and they stocked both for our visit which was very nice.

Location and Staff: The number one reason to stay here is the awesome location. The beautiful tree-lined streets offer shade on a warm day and a pleasant walk to Connecticut Street where there are great restaurants and its an easy stroll to the Metro Station. Don't bring a car, you will not need it. If you are looking for a reasonably priced meal, I recommend Sette Osteria and if you are looking for an upscale delicious dining experience, I would get reservations at Nora's. The staff is wonderful helping with check-in and check-out, taking bottles for recycling and showing you where all the snacks are. Laura also put together an awesome list for the guests so we could see what attractions were open during the government shutdown.

A few housekeeping items: The only item I wish had been covered upon arrival was the prompt payment of the bill. I didn't read the details in our arrival packet as I was rushing out the door after check-in, but unlike most accomadations you pay up front the day you check-in. It makes check-out very easy but I got the feeling that I didn't pay it fast enough (next morning) and it made me feel uncomfortable. I would have paid the second I walked in if it had been told to me directly. So to save you any misunderstanding, take your invoice downstairs after you check-in. Make sure you leave the room by noon so they can freshen it up for you. I would have liked one more trashcan in the bedroom but this is only a minor issue.

Overall this is a nice, clean B&B, with a warm staff, a spacious room and an excellent location for restaurants, the metro and sightseeing in general. I would stay here again rather than in a hotel should my travels bring me to DC again.

Room Tip: We enjoyed room 121 on the second floor, facing the front of the house. It's next to the stairca...
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

We loved it.....I don't want to build expectations here, but we arrived at 10 am on a Sat morning and they had our room ready!....I'm sure they can't do that all the time, but it was much appreciated after flying all night to get there......We were able to have a short nap and then head out for sight seeing......The metro is close and there are tons of really great restaurants in the area.....If you like dim sum, Ping Pong was our favourite, it's dim sum all day there and really good quality.......The area is also very nice, all embassies, very pleasant streets to roam etc.....Laura and Raymond go out of their way to make everyone feel at home.....And the staff are so nice and friendly......We felt really welcome......Great conversations at breakfast and if you go for wine in the evening and lots of tips for sight seeing......On Tue and Fri nights, they cook Lebanese appetizers and they are phenomenal.....Really amazing and so delicious.....Our room (second floor) was quiet and spotless.......We've stayed all over the world and we like B and B's and so we have a fair amount of experience with them and I truly can't think of a negative thing to say......

Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Embassy Circle Guest House for 4 nights last month. I’m happy to report that this was by far one of the best, most impressive travel experiences we’ve ever had!

The owners, Raymond and Laura, have taken great care to restore this former Embassy. You can definitely tell it was a labor of love. The home is absolutely beautiful! We were greeted very enthusiastically by Betty (I hope I have her name correct), and she helped take very good care of us for our entire stay. Everything has been thought of to make guests comfortable. We stayed in room 134, Copper Bijjar, and it was perfect. The room was extremely comfortable and cozy, with 2 sitting chairs, a brick wall, and interesting artwork. The location on the 3rd floor of the B&B was very quiet. We never heard another person moving about the entire time we were there-very peaceful.

The entire home, including the sitting room, dining room and kitchen were all gorgeous. Attractive artwork and antiques abound. The staff work very hard to keep everything clean, and their dedication shows; everything was spotless all the time. All of the staff have a very serious work ethic and care about this B&B. They make it their priority to make sure that you have everything you need.

Every morning, you will be treated to a lovely breakfast of both sweet and savory items, as well as a homemade frittata or french toast, coffee and tea. Then, each evening around 5:30, they serve red and white wine, as well as an assortment of snacks (almonds, pistachios, cashews and dates). This was a great way to catch up with the other guests to share what everyone did that day. One evening, Raymond prepared several Lebanese appetizers for all of us, and the group spent a couple of hours just eating and drinking wine. What an experience! It was so much fun - we laughed, told stories and had a terrific time. The appetizers were so delicious and abundant that no one even needed to go to dinner that evening, so we just hung out and continued chatting.

This B&B attracts an international, well-traveled clientele, which definitely adds to the experience. While we were there, we had the pleasure to meet guests from Scotland, London, and Canada, as well as the States. Everyone we met could not say enough about how much they were enjoying their stay. The thing is, Raymond and Laura spend time with you. They open their home to you, and truly make you feel like family, not just a guest or traveler. They love to share their stories with you, and are genuinely interested in what you have to say as well. I honestly don’t think we’ve ever met friendlier, more personable innkeepers in all the years we’ve traveled, and we’ve stayed in a lot of B&B’s.

A quick note about the location: we had never been to Washington DC before, so we weren’t sure how good the location would be. It turns out that Dupont Circle was just perfect. Several good, well recommended restaurants are just a 5 minute walk, and the metro is only a few minutes further. We used the metro to go the National Mall for the museums, as well as a trip to Arlington National Cemetery. Very easy to do. Also, the Phillips Collection is a short walk from the B&B, and it’s a absolute gem. Please visit if you get the chance.

We very highly recommend this B&B for your Washington DC trip. Of course, we enjoyed the museums and monuments immensely, but, Embassy Circle Guest House was the highlight for us. I don’t think our trip would have nearly been so special had we not stayed here. You will not regret booking this property. My husband was literally begging for us to stay just one more day. We did not want to leave! We look forward to seeing them again soon. Thanks for everything!

Jack & Lori
Cleveland, Ohio

Room Tip: Room 134, Copper Bijjar, on the 3rd floor is very secluded and quiet.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Embassy Circle Guest House? Share your experiences!