“Pleasant breakfast” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Open City

Open City
2331 Calvert St NW, Washington DC, DC 20008-2622 (Upper Northwest)
202-332-2331
Neighborhood: Upper Northwest
Washington DC, District of Columbia, USA
“Pleasant breakfast”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014 via mobile

After seeing the lines to get in & reading the hype, I expected more. It was crowded, & difficult to get a table. Decor was average, uninspired. Did enjoy the large windows with light streaming in. The food, all I can say about it was that it was uninteresting& pretty bland. Nothing stood out, it was like roadside diner cuisine. Don't understand it's' popularity.

Visited April 2014

Montreal, Canada
“Good for breakfast.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

I was staying at the Omni Shoreham hotel nearby and i had breakfast every monrning. Coffee is good and breakfast is OK, don't order the omelettes, the're prettys bads. The rest is ok. Very busy on w-e, comme early. Service is fast and professional.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
New Jersey, United States
“Tasty Dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

We had dinner at Open City just a week ago when staying at the Omni Shoreham. We had never been there before and was pleasantly surprised. The food was good and affordable. The service was friendly and quick. My only complaint was that we ate in the side room and the floor was quite dirty with old french fries and other food just collecting. However, despite that, we really enjoyed our dinner and would definitely go back on our next trip.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Chicago, IL
“Great brunch spot! Plus gluten free options!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

We loved this popular DC restaurant. Apparently it is always busy. We were handed a pager when we checked in, but it wasn't a long wait. We were there for brunch/lunch. They had a excellent coffee menu, but I only ordered a cup of coffee and was told there was a fee for refills. We had ordered a meal, so was surprised to learn that during brunch service I needed to pay for a refill. I have never encountered this before. Other than that it was a great meal. My gluten free family was thrilled with the awesome gluten free mac and cheese. They also had gluten free pizza. We were surprised that they didn't have gluten free bread for my husbands burger. It was a great burger and he was fine with it served on a bed of lettuce, but you would think with the other gluten free offerings they would have gluten free bread. Overall, it was a minor inconvenience. There was attractive outdoor seating, but was a little chilly for us to brave it. It is on a busy street, but Rock Creek Parkway is just across the street. A great urban restaurant with a view of the beautiful parkway. This is a fun bustling urban coffee shop/restaurant/bar. It looks like it must be busy all day with all they have to offer. Will definitely return on our next trip to DC.

Visited April 2014
Arlington, VA
“Bad Service Mediocre Food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

Arrived early Sunday and seated ourselves per the sign. After sitting unattended for 10 minutes I flagged down a busboy to get a menu. A table near us caught the waitresses attention as they were ready to give up on service and leave. I snagged the same waitress. The kitchen is extremely fast, however so once you get someone to pay attention to you, you do get your food. Let me add that this is probably my 15th visit-- but it is my last. The food was awful. The poached eggs came swimming in water on a soggy piece of lettuce and the "crispy " bacon was rare. After I asked to have it crisped up in came back completely blacked-- burned in the microwave. So that's it I'm done. We have had enough of their crummy service and irregular kitchen.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere