“Great for restricted diets” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Open City

Open City
2331 Calvert St NW, Washington DC, DC 20008-2622 (Upper Northwest)
202-332-2331
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Neighborhood: Upper Northwest
Shawnee, Kansas
“Great for restricted diets”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We were staying at the Omni Shoreham which was located diagonally across an intersection from one of the Open City restaurants. The hotel's food was quite good, but expensive, and we visited Open City several times. I am on a gluten, dairy, egg free diet and on our first visit I had a dish with shrimp, chickpeas and quinoa that I could eat every day! Unfortunately when I went back the next day, the menu had changed as had this item. I ordered a salad instead and it was also good, but I eat lots of restaurant salads because of my restricted diet and I'm always thrilled when I have other choices. I did contact the restaurant after our visit and asked for the recipe. It was sent to me in a couple of days and I'm anxious to try it. Our food and service were good on all our visits and the prices were reasonable. Exactly what we hope to find when traveling!

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

JC,NJ
“excellent espresso”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

loved this coffee shop, good food, great coffee and very good service, the baked goods and bagels were delicious

Visited December 2012
Birmingham, Alabama
“Wonderful food worth the wait!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Always one of our favorite places to eat when visiting our daughter in DC. It is extremely affordable for the large portions you receive. Breakfast items like the French toast and grits are exceptional. Pizza, burgers, and sandwiches all family favorites. Don't miss out on the spinach&parmesean dip with homemade chips -- YUM!!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Seattle, Washington
“Busy Place, Good Breakfast”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

This was a busy place for Sunday breakfast which is always a good sign and can cheer you up. We tried Chorizo Scramble with Grits and Open City Omelet at this place. They both were ok but not memorable. As with many busy places, the staff were also not very attentive.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Washington, D.C.
“Good, perhaps not very good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I always wish TA had a vote between Average and Very Good as I think my first experience would fall in the Good category, but it was better than Average on our visit. Our group of eight went on a Sunday evening and were seated immediately as it was not too busy. Our server, Lauren K. was excellent and was responsive and proactive. She made a point of asking our group whether we had any food allergies or issues when ordering. Extensive menu (perhaps too to maintain good quality on all?) and 6 draft beers on tap and some nice wine selections. Decent prices (where can you get a $5 BLT these days (we didn't order). Nice casual but cool atmosphere in the restaurant.

In general, many of the dishes we received were lukewarm or room temperature and this was a disappointment. Nice crisp BUT LUKEWARM french fries? they should be made on plated right before coming out. The croque madame was actually pretty good, but the bechamel was a tiny bit bland and underseasoned but the egg was perfectly cooked atop. The egg bacon scramble was recommended by our server and was ok, but a bit on the small side. the sides of toast and grits were fine. The cheese burgers ordered were cooked nicely with fresh accompaniments but lukewarm fries. The crusty club was enjoyed and the design your own omelet. A nice surprise was the pizza - it was large and appropriately crisp - i was expecting less and some disappointment here. If you like thin, crisp pizza, you will like. The white mussels were pretty good but the clumsy doughy white bread sticks accompanying it looked and tasted exactly like what you would find at Olive Garden. Some crusty cut bread would have been better to mop up the Mussel sauce/juice (a bit under seasoned) - and they charegd 50 cents for the breadsticks as they didn't supply eny with this entree. Really?

The apple pie with vanilla ice cream a la mode was very good. nice flavors and flaky crust. the Kentucky Derby Pecan Pie was more like a chocolate pie with a few pecans thrown in. I would not order gain. The coconut custard pie pretty good but it needed a stronger coconut flavor, and the brownie was huge (enough for 2 people), but was a bit too "cakey" and not as dense as a true brownie should be.

We will return and try some other breakfast items (available all day).

• Visited November 2012