“A reliable choice” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Open City

Open City
2331 Calvert St NW, Washington DC, DC 20008-2622 (Upper Northwest)
202-332-2331
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #191 of 2,495 Restaurants in Washington DC
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dessert, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Upper Northwest
Washington, DC
“A reliable choice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

Excellent lattes, good burgers and a nice selection of beers. The food and service is pretty consistent and sitting outside or in the sunroom is a lot less noisy than the inside dining hall. I recommend the chocolate hoho for dessert.

“excellent breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Great ambiance and atmosphere. We only had breakfast here and it was money well spent. Excellent choices on the menu, juices and coffee/tea.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
“Poor Attitude....Good Food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

I have visited Open City twice in the past 30 days for breakfast. It is located right across the street from one of my favorite hotels (Omni Shoreham). The first visit (in September) was for a business meeting at 700am. There were only a handful of customers but the music was VERY LOUD and it was hard to have a conversation. It was if the volume was still set for the evening cleaning crew. We asked if they could turn down the volume...and we were told that we weren't the only customers....as if that mattered? I expected as an answer....sure, no problem....what we got was quite surly.

Last week I returned. After an early phone call with colleagues in the UK...I had an hour before my next appointment and decided to try breakfast again. I was alone this time...after finishing breakfast I waited about 10 minutes for my waiter to bring the check. Didn't see him...and decided to go to the register to pay. WRONG IDEA....the person at the register looked at me with disgust..and went to find my waiter. I then had to wait another 10 minutes before I finally could complete my transaction. I am glad that I had an hour.....

All that said...the food is good.

Saratoga Springs, New York
“Marginal breakfast.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Ordered checked and waffles. Advertised maple syrup. Chicken was deep fried and way overlooked, maple syrup was aunt jemimas, which is not maple syrup.

Austin, Texas
“Great spot for breakfast!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Breakfast is served all day. Great omlets. Try a late morning bloody mary if you are so inclined. Very family friendly. Popular with the locals.

Visited October 2012