“Perfectly located with super nice host” 4 of 5 stars

You added Meridian Manor Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
Meridian Manor Bed and Breakfast
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   16th and U, Washington DC, DC 20009   |
Ranked #17 of 49 Washington DC B&B and Inns
“Perfectly located with super nice host”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

We (couple with baby) spent a long weekend (Thur-Sun) at Meridian Manor and enjoyed our stay thoroughly! Our very nice room had a queen bed, private bathroom and John, the owner, supplied us with a pack-and-play for our baby. While the room was not as spotless as your regular hotel room (some "hidden" dust) it was clean enough.
The 'continental breakfast' was delicious and there was plenty to be had, including cereals, english muffins, fresh fruit, cake, yogurth, orange juice, coffee, tea. John was a perfect host from beginning to end, greeting us warmly, showing us around the house, giving tipps and chatting about this and that.
It was our first trip to DC and we will certainly return and book Meridian Manor again.

• Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Plymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

We had a great time at Meridian Manor. John, the owner, was brilliant; a really helpful, genuinely nice guy and a great local guide. It's well-placed to explore DC on foot; about 30mins walk straight down 16th St to the White House from the front door. But there's also a frequent bus service right pass the door (and DC is deceptive; all the big sigts seem next door to each other but you get to the end of the day and you've done 10miles easy) .

The house is very characterful and despite only staying for three nights it did feel like we were
returning ‘home’ after each day of exploring. It's well equipped too with a communal loungeand kitchen for teas and coffees. There's a CVS less than a block away for groceries and take-outs and bars wthin a 2 block radius. We had a room with a shared bathroom on the top floor. Sharing wasn’t a problem at all and our room was spacious. It had a TV and a hair
dryer (which was a great help as we were travelling light) and some toiletries were provided n the shower.

Breakfasts were great. The breakfast is continental and there’s lots of choice of cereals, toast,
fruit, yoghurts, cake, fruit juice and teas and coffee. John really takes car on the details like the yoghurt being put out in a bowl full of ice to keep it cool! John’s also usually at breakfast and is happy to offer suggestions for how to spend your day in DC.

If you’re a foodie then Ben’s Chilie Bowl- as featured on Man V Food is about 20mins walk away.

Meridian Manor was a great introduction to DC and American B&B’s and we’d definitely stay again. The value for money really felt good too; on our trip it was the most expensive place we stayed, but hey, it's the capital and the market is what it is.

Thanks again John, you're a star! :)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I am not sure if the people writing the reviews have been to a different place or what...I booked this place for 2 nights and I was lucky enough to spend only one night here. Management: The honer pens me the door and shows me everything about the house knowing I will spend here only one night. When I ask for breakfast he says I could get yogurt and cereals before 8 am, but no coffee, the only thing I cared about. He then takes me to my room. Room: Room is clearly dusty, and smells bad. I had to buy sanitizing wipes at the closeby rite aid cause the white dresser where I am suppose to put my belongings is now grey of dust (and to wipe the toilet seat and sink). Bed linen are not ironed and have stains. Fortunately I have my own pillow cover. Bathroom saw a mop few guests ago: There are hairs on the floor (not mine) and the vanities are clearly dirty. A cheap soap has been left there for me. No tissue or anything else useful. Only useless outdated magazines...who cares, come on! On the floor close to the bed a bottle cap from previous guests. Dust is everywhere. There is no care of this place. I am not caring about the frame on the walls if the luck of cleanliness is what will make me unhappy.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
ustreet, Owner at Meridian Manor Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
I am totally up for being critisized when its justified BUT,None of these things were true.(except for the little plastic bottle cap that i somehow didnt see under bed)
I changed(cleaned) the room and I think when vacuuming I missed it under the corner leg of the bed. I try to clean everything as best as possible though.

This guest did not get a refund for her first day because she didnt show up her first day of her reservation(and she did not let us know that she wasnt coming), she only showed up the second day. She did not get a refund for her first day. I guess she was pissed and wrote a mean review
John the owner :-)
Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

We stayed in DC with family for a long weekend over Easter. John was very attentive to all the guests and welcomed us with details of the B&B and answered any questions we had. He is a super nice guy and remembered everyone's name, which is a nice touch. We stayed in the Chocolate and Slate rooms, and both were as shown on the website. They were well equipped and comfortable.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
España
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

The B&B is well located, on a walking distance from the dupont circle and the u street metro stations. We stayed in the Chocolate Room and it looks exactly like in the website pictures. The room is spacious and the bed is comfortable. Although it overlooks the street, the room was pretty quiet in the mornings. I think the house is well isolated because we didn't hear any noise from the other rooms.

The owner is a really friendly and easy going person, we felt very welcomed during our stay and we enjoyed really much the morning discussions with him and the other guests during the breakfast. We also appreciated the recommendations about the city, restaurants, etc.

I would recommend this option without hesitation, especially if you consider the hotel prices in Washington. But you have to consider this is not a hotel, this is a more casual option, you don't have room service or a hotel desk in a bed and breakfast, but my overall opinion is higher than many hotels I have been before.

Room Tip: I would recommend the chocolate room. It is a big room, with a full bathroom and a comfortable bed...
Albuquerque, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Good value for the DC area as the"chocolate room" is spacious and comfortable. Relatively short walk to the metro but a little bit longer hoof for the Dupont Circle area. Breakfast is sparse but can hold you over until lunch time. Quite a few eateries close by, would recommend "Busboys and Poets" which had a good menu with some nice comfort food (try the meatloaf).

Overall I would recommend it to those of you not seeking the full service hotel experience. It is a lot like staying with a nice relative that you don't know that well but are happy they opened up their house to you.

Saint Augustine, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

What a pleasant way to travel in DC! Our host John was such a wonderful welcoming and interesting man. The other guests were fascinating as well. It was so nice to be able to come home, put our food in the fridge and relax downstairs in the evening. We stayed in the Yellow Room on the fourth floor, it was very quiet, and great exercise climbing all of those stairs. There was a very nice continental breakfast in the morning. Also the neighborhood is very nice, several restaurants and grocery stores nearby. Plan on getting lots of walking in! We walked to the National Mall from the B&B, a lovely long walk, and biked there another day as well, using the nearby Capital Bikeshare. A really great value when all of the hotels nearby were $150 to $200+!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Meridian Manor Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!