“Just ok, owner is sleezy” 2 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Washington International Student Center to your Saves list
Washington International Student Center
2451 18th Street N.W., Washington DC, DC 20009 (Adams Morgan)   |
“Just ok, owner is sleezy”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2014

My girlfriend and I just spent 4 nights at this hostel. We booked online through the company website and put a 5% deposit on our stay. The owner told us this was a booking fee and not a deposit and refused to credit it towards our stay. Looking back on our receipt it clearly stated this was a deposit and not a 'booking fee'. Since we didn't want to go through the haste of finding and new hostel we decided to stay.
Our first night we stayed in a group room which was a tiny room with 7 beds total. Some bunks were stacked 3 high, it was smelly and hard to sleep. I know it's a hostel, but I have stayed in dozens of hostels previously which were cheaper and better. So we opted for a private room the next 3 nights which turned out to be quite alright.
The website says breakfast is included with your stay. The Breakfast spread includes a bag of cheap white bread, jiffy peanut butter, jelly and brown bananas. No coffee, no tea, no cereal! We went out each morning.

For your money this place is just ok. Don't trust the owner. He moved people from one room to another while they were out and about and they came back to their belongings thrown in the hall. He would say, your in that room now and point. I don't know the quality of other hostels in the DC area but this one left a bad taste in my mouth.

That being said, the location is great!

Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Athens, Greece
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2014

Simply the worst hostel I have ever stayed

It has not been cleaned for ages (especially in the rooms)

It is 1 hour from the center on foot and 20 min from the metro

Not safe in my opinion as well

the only positive is that it has a lot of bars around

The photos are not representative

Room Tip: Avoid it at any cost !
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2014

Hostel was really dirty. Only two disgusting bathrooms for loads of people. Pictures aren't accurate. Everything was sticky and messy. The room was tiny and freezing. There were clothes all over the floor. The kitchen was revolting, I didn't want to touch anything. The staff were quite abrupt. Everyone in the living room area seemed drunk and intimidating. Not the place to stay if you're alone.

• Stayed August 2014
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014 via mobile

The location is far away from subway station, it takes you roughly 15-20 minutes to get here. And you have to look up your eyes, because there is only one small door of the hostel in the ground (between two restaurants).
The smell is not so good. And you will heard big noisy during the night, because there are bars, night clubs around the hostel, just have a plan in mind.

The breakfast is great, it offers bananas, milk, juice and toast. Also, the kitchen is not clean.

In general speaking, this hotel is ok for me, staying one or two nights in here is fine. But If I have others choice or more money, I never ever will choose here!
And if you like night life, here is the best choice for you!

• Stayed August 2014
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

Don't believe their pictures online! And they don't provide free airport pickup as they advertised. When I got in there, they checked me in by writing on a notebook and only accepted cash - they don't even had a computer or POS machine. I was then surprised by the dirty floor, broken furniture and smelly rooms. When I stepped in a dormitory which hadn't been maintained at all, a drunk guy was moaning in his bed and that dorm was extremely stinky. Then they switch a room for me but the second room was still dirty with disordered bed sets. Then I told the owner that I didn't feel comfortable here so I wanted to leave. The rude owner had 100 reasons not to check me out until I said that I didn't need my money back. I just couldn't believe how this s**t could exist!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Do yourselves and favour and pay a little extra for a decent hostel. My friend and I didn't think it would be that bad- we were wrong. Let me start off by saying the only good thing about this hostel is the location (Adams Morgan). It was a really cool area and not very far to all of the main attractions. But that was it- the hostel is so hard to find (it was in between two restaurants), which then at night turn in to a club which was sooo loud. The owner was rude and unapproachable. He checked you in by writing in an exercise/notebook and only accepted cash. The rooms were tiny and bunk beds were like prison beds (however the bathrooms were surprisingly clean). Wifi was always disconnecting and you had to wait at least half an hour for it to work again. It was advertised on hostelworld that there were lockers- there weren't- and people in the room hardly locked the door (even at night). There was absolutely no atmosphere either.

Wouldn't stay here again, it was dodgey as all hell.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

Well the hostel is right in the middle of Adams Morgan. If you are looking to be in the middle of a great area of DC this is it. There are clubs and restaurants all up and down 18th Street NW.
The hostel is very old school but fine. I was there for 5 nights and the weekends it gets loud on 18th but due to people having fun.
The people there can vary. Some of the staff will talk and be helpful and others look like they are studying for tests.
The rooms have bunk beds and look like bunk beds do. I asked if I could move to a lower one after my first night and was allowed to move
The atmosphere is homey and chilled. You can have a beer but no bottles. Seems like they do have a thing about bottles there.
Overall had a good time and it is a good value. If I get back to DC would stay for sure.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo

Been to Washington International Student Center? Share your experiences!