“perfect hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 32 Washington DC B&B and Inns
Switzerland
“perfect hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2008

we stayed in the zora neal hurston room, which is huge, romantic, beautiful and elegant. you will have all the confort you reasonably need, like a 5 star hotel, at a reasonably price.

• Liked — the room
  • Disliked — the cleanliness
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2008

I spent two nights at the Akwaaba last week and wanted to share with you that the experience was excellent. Kema and Sharlette appear to have a good system in place, and the housekeeping staff did a good job. I was warmly welcomed and hospitality shone. A good team. Most welcome were the scent-free linens and towels. A real blessing! I was in DC on business so had long days and not much time to relax at the Akwaaba except to catch catnaps and sleep at night. It was a good time; otherwise, I would have been stuck at the noisy, expensive convention hotel downtown, that has lots of glitter but no soul. Thank you and your team. We will be back soon.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Accessibility
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Telford,England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2008

Not just a bed & breakfast!! When you walk through the front door a calmness & coziness envelopes you.

We had been travelling, living out of a suitcase for 11 days, so it was wonderful to be based in one place for 5 days staying in the Romance room (with double shower).
Sharlotte & Keema are to be commended, it was like having friends to come home to after a tiring day walking around the big city. The 'happy hour' was extremely welcome.
We found talking to the other guests around the communal table in the mornings truly riveting & those breakfasts!! - don't come here if you're dieting.

The ambience you've created is second to none, we would recommend you to anyone.

Keep up the good work guys!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2008

I recently stayed at Akwaaba DC for my third time. The last 2 stays were with 11 other ladies for a Girlfriends Getaway Weekend. We had a great time. The Inkeepers were friendly and very accommodating to our group. They helped us with not only restaurant recommendations, but sight seeing tips as well. Akwaaba is located in the Dupont Circle section of DC which is a great area for restaurants, shopping and people watching.

The breakfast and manager's receptions were very nice and the food delicious! Overall we had a great stay at Akwaaba. I highly recommend it!

• Liked — Quaint atmospher, Inkeepers, breakfast
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
Orlando
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2008

The AKWAABA is awesome!! Not only was the staff extremely accomodating, but the entire vibe gives you that warm, fuzzy, "prop your feet up", "at home" feeling. The innkeeper on site during our visit made herself available to us 24 HOURS a day through out our stay. I'm not kidding guys ... directions, parking, local dinner spots ... her assistance was limitless. A personal thank you Char and to you too Kema for having her. (Sorry if I misspelled your names Ladies!!) This will certainly be our DC home away from home!!

Good Luck with all your endeavors Ladies!! If you are putting even half of the time, energy, and effort you placed into ensuring our stay was awesome, you will definately succeed at them!!

• Liked — The staff was AMAZING!!
  • Disliked — Walking upstairs but I'm lazy. LOL
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
Connecticut, US
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2008

My husband Kirk and I stayed at the Akwaaba Bed & Breakfast in Washington, DC for our 6th year wedding anniversary the weekend of October 4, 2008.
To just say our stay was wonderful would truly be an understatement! Innkeepers Keema and Sharlotte made our anniversary the most romantic to date! After a long day of sight seeing and touring, we were greeted with red rose petals, champagne, strawberries and cream which was the perfect culmination of our romantic weekend :-)
The rooms also created the perfect escape, each with private baths (ours had a double shower).
The breakfast was beyond tasty and it was very nice to meet different couples from around the world. They also treat you to a Happy Hour during the evening.
In closing, I'd recommend the Akwaaba Bed & Breakfast to anyone looking for a wonderful place to stay. Kirk and I look forward to visiting their Bed & Breakfast in New Orleans!

Respectively Submitted,
Shawanna E. McDonald
Connecticut.

• Liked — Everything was wonderful!
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2008

This lovely brownstone in the heart of DC was a lovely experience. As a lover of history and literature, this home stands out in it old world charm and literary theme. The afro/euro motif and elegantly designed bedrooms add class and sass to the total ambiance of culture and down home comfort.

In August, I was the featured poet for the OSSE Claude Brown Writers & Readers series....so I had to find a hotel near Busboys & Poets...
wala!...Akwaaba was the place for me. I love to support anything a sauve African American sister puts her hands in.

My son drove with me from Philadelphia as a getaway before going back for his last year of law school. We stayed in the Poets room on the top floor..it was a hike to the third floor...but worth the trip. The bed were so comfortable and the sitting area was just right for our late night guest who joined us for a look at a new book I'm in called "Hip Hop Speaks To Children."
Meeting our hostesses, Kema and Jalisa was like meeting family...their graciousness was overwhelming and we connected like old friends.

In September, I returned to DC with my sister...to give her a special treat and present at a Education Expo. After my clients checked the cost of typical hotels, I chose the Akwaaba again and since the hotel rates change daily in DC...Akwaaba proved to be more economical. This time we enjoyed the Roger Mosely Room...thet double shower was fabulous and the breakfast in the moring was lovely. Vegan sausage and delicious french toast. Charlotte and Jalisa was on hand to make us feel totally at home once again.
Busboys & Poets restaurant is walking distance and Whole Foods Market is just blocks away... For me, Akwaaba will always be the place to stay in DC. I'm telling all my friends where to go in DC for a first class experience!
All the best!
Oni Lasana

• Liked — The beds & shower, hostess, food
  • Disliked — Air conditioners
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Akwaaba DC? Share your experiences!