“A sweet B&B with a very lovely innkeeper” 5 of 5 stars

Akwaaba DC
1708 16th St NW, Washington DC, DC 20009 (Dupont Circle)   |
Ranked #4 of 35 Washington DC B&B and Inns
Stockholm, Sweden
“A sweet B&B with a very lovely innkeeper”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

My wife and I were staying in this lovely inn for three nights. We chose the Romance Room which was like something out of a fairy tale. If I need to find something to complain about it would probably be the air-conditioner that was a bit noisy. We preferred to switch it off and have the window open instead. The bed was a little narrow but I guess that is the way it should be in a Romance Room. The innkeeper Joanna was very lovely and she made delicious breakfasts for us every morning. Fortunately DC is a city where you walk a lot otherwise I would have gained a few pounds from those breakfasts. It was also interesting to talk to the other guests during breakfast. We often got stuck in interesting conversations with people from all over the world.

1 Thank JanF_Sodermalm

Manchester, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

My husband and I stayed at Akwaaba in Washington DC for three nights and I would not hesitate to recommend this inn. The atmosphere was so peaceful and relaxing. Joanna the innkeeper was an excellent hostess. The home is beautiful and the neighborhood was as well. We booked the Langston Hughes room - I think the bed was more comfortable than my own at home! The breakfasts were great, and we enjoyed talking with the other guests from all over the world at breakfast and at refreshment time in the late afternoons. We would definitely stay here again if we were to travel back to Washington.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kristen F
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

My family and friends recently stayed in several rooms. We were in town for a funeral at Arlington National Cemetery and spent a few additional days sightseeing in the area.

First of all, I agree with previous reviews about Joanna, the innkeeper. She is a lovely person. However, she cannot make up for the shortcomings of this B&B, which is in need of extended maintenance.

I have traveled extensively and prefer the ambience of B&Bs and country homes and have stayed in lots of properties that are old and furnished with well-loved pieces. The Akwaaba DC does not meet the standards of other places I have stayed. While the public areas look good, the rooms are another matter. Most of the floors need to be refinished, the furnishings need to be restored as they are really in poor condition, the curtains and shades need to be reconsidered so that they darken the room enough for sleeping and function properly, plumbing was a problem in some rooms. I won't name every complaint, but will give readers some idea of what we encountered.

The Langston Hughes room is the best room I personally stayed in. However, the tub diverter knob came off in my hand and I didn't think I would be able to get the shower on. This room, as well as others in the front of the house, is very noisy. Bring earplugs.

The Zora Neale Hurston room had many problems. The a/c was extremely loud, the window blind fell off, the shower knob is gone.

The Romance Room has a lot of fabric that cannot be easy to clean, such as throws over the chairs, a canopy over the bed which blocks the ceiling fan, a mantle scarf that is unnecessary.

The Toni Morrison Room, which I occupied for one night, has some problems. The window blind does not block light at all, to the point where the early morning light reflects from the dresser mirror directly into your eyes in bed. The tile in front of the fireplace is a trip hazard. The queen bed is suitable for only one person as there is not enough room to get in and out on one side.

The Writer's Suite Apartment is not recommended, unless you are a family, on a budget and have very low expectations. It is dark, has sub-par bathrooms, is noisy both day and night. In addition, breakfast is not included. We were advised that breakfast for the apartment people (3 max. In our case) would be $15. It was not made clear that was the price per person, so we were charged an additional $150 for our stay.

My recommendation is that someone from the management team spend at least one night in each room so that the multitude of problems be noted and repaired. Also, the housekeeper needs to report issues, such as missing parts and problem plumbing. How can a person clean the shower/tub and not see that a knob is gone?

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
4 Thank LetsGoDen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Two years ago I stayed at Akwaaba by the Sea with a friend we had a wonderful time. This year I needed to be someplace where I could go by myself feel safe and just relax and be by myself. I couldn't have made a better choice The house was beautiful, my room (Toni Morrison) was comfortable and quiet. I enjoyed meeting and talking to the other guest. I walked the neighborhood with ease and enjoyed looking at the homes. But what made my visit the more enjoyable was Joanna she made my visit the best. Thank You Joanna And Akwaaba for everything.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Leslye L
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

The food was great and what really sold the deal was the design of the BnB. I highly recommend staying there if I did have to complain about something it would be the parking arrangements other than that it was a great place to stay while you are in D.C.

• Stayed May 2014
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

My wife and I just returned from an excellent stay at the Akwaaba bed and breakfast this past weekend for two nights. We booked the Langston Hughes Room which from my perspective is one of the best and largest rooms within the house. The house itself is beautiful, quiet and very comfortable. It made you feel as if you were staying with relatives. Joanna was a great host and extremely helpful. Each morning, they prepared a breakfast and we got an opportunity to meet and greet other guest that were also staying in the house. Everyone was there for different reasons and many had been to Akwaaba multiple times. The house is located near the Dupont Circle area of DC which makes it walkable to many restaurants. We will definitely return at some point in the near future.

Room Tip: Definitely stay in the Langston Hughes room! It's worth every penny due. Huge, access to a sma...