“Wonderful B&B!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 33 Washington DC B&B and Inns
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Wonderful B&B!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2008

This lovely brownstone in the heart of DC was a lovely experience. As a lover of history and literature, this home stands out in it old world charm and literary theme. The afro/euro motif and elegantly designed bedrooms add class and sass to the total ambiance of culture and down home comfort.

In August, I was the featured poet for the OSSE Claude Brown Writers & Readers series....so I had to find a hotel near Busboys & Poets...
wala!...Akwaaba was the place for me. I love to support anything a sauve African American sister puts her hands in.

My son drove with me from Philadelphia as a getaway before going back for his last year of law school. We stayed in the Poets room on the top floor..it was a hike to the third floor...but worth the trip. The bed were so comfortable and the sitting area was just right for our late night guest who joined us for a look at a new book I'm in called "Hip Hop Speaks To Children."
Meeting our hostesses, Kema and Jalisa was like meeting family...their graciousness was overwhelming and we connected like old friends.

In September, I returned to DC with my sister...to give her a special treat and present at a Education Expo. After my clients checked the cost of typical hotels, I chose the Akwaaba again and since the hotel rates change daily in DC...Akwaaba proved to be more economical. This time we enjoyed the Roger Mosely Room...thet double shower was fabulous and the breakfast in the moring was lovely. Vegan sausage and delicious french toast. Charlotte and Jalisa was on hand to make us feel totally at home once again.
Busboys & Poets restaurant is walking distance and Whole Foods Market is just blocks away... For me, Akwaaba will always be the place to stay in DC. I'm telling all my friends where to go in DC for a first class experience!
All the best!
Oni Lasana

• Liked — The beds & shower, hostess, food
  • Disliked — Air conditioners
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
danxtsupamodel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2008

First let me say that Akwaaba exceeded all of my expectations!

visit was from Aug 15-17
My husband and I celebrated our 2 year anniversary at the residence and were skeptic about going to a B&B for such a special occasion. I found out about the B&B through a review on another site that was incredible. I was skeptic but I thought I would give Akwaaba a chance and ohhh I'm so happy with the result!

When making reservations I asked about parking and was told about the Metro Access which is about 10min away,also cabs, busses etc. We decided to drive and coming from Va,we got there around 7pm and found parking right infront of the Inn.( Which I when I read other reviews people had issues but we counted more than 3 spaces right in front of the Inn at that time.) We rung the bell and were greeted by Sharlotte one of the two innkeepers...She was so welcoming which made us feel like we were back home. She gave us the tour of the parlor and dinning area and presented us with our keys. She also asked if there was anything we needed. She informed us about Happy Hour being from 5-7which I didn't know they did and also breakfast from 9-10 which was done by Kema the second innkeeper.

*One thing that stood out and made us feel so great was that we had both Sharlotte and Kema's cell number and were told we could call them for anything big or small and at anytime.*

We made it up to our room and the photo that was on the website didn't do it justice. We stayed in the Zora Neale Hurston room and it was fantastic....colors were warm,bed was soft and huge, decor was lovely and the tub was to die for! Everything was nice! We relaxed on the chaise and in the window seat before we headed to dinner and the view from the window is so inviting.

If you are a person that can't sleep with noisey things going on like cars and busses driving by, music being loud in cars that pass don't stay in the Zora because it's facing the street. My husband and I didn't have a problem with that at all. But some people may.

We woke up to a great smell which was breakfast and a smiling face which was Kema-innkeeper....She's such a darling and just made the day even better for us with her warm spirit. We sat down at the dinning room table and conversed with other guest that were also celebrating anniversaries and staying at the inn...This made us relax because we all had our own stories to share with each other and got a chance to connect....

We were asked if we wanted or needed anything and our rooms were cleaned while we were downstairs eating. Breakfast was GREAT!

Before we left for lunch Kema made sure we didn't need anything and everything was okay with our room before we left. She is Awesome! She also made us aware that happy hour was from 5-7 and there would be refreshments for us. We left for lunch and came back to the house smelling SWEET! Sharlotte was there and she had just taken Choc Chip Cookies out of the oven and uncorked some wine for us to enjoy. Her converstation along with her hospitality was so genuine. We got a chance to meet other guest that had just checked in and were off upstairs to our room.

We got dressed for dinner and where sent off by Sharlotte congradualating us on our anniversary and asking if we needed anything and if everything was okay...So caring!

We made it back after dinner and took photo's of the decor and just sat in the parlor enjoying the jazz that was being played and the historic feel of the house.

If you are one of those people that don't like historic old homes then this isn't for you. This home is historic, it has that old historic feel to it. Stair's creak, and are narrow, the home isn't central heated so they have Ac's in the window's and ceiling fans. The window's are thin and you can hear people walking around the house and outside.Water wasn't at it's full power when we were getting ready to take a bath but it wasn't a big deal to us.

So if you don't like those thing's then you shouldn't stay here...In my opinion it's someone's home and it's not an updated hotel....it's an old historic home...You aren't going to have full power water everytime you turn the facet on, the light's will blink but it's warm, it's welcoming, it's clean and you aren't just another guest....It's a historic home....

We plan on going to Akwaaba NY for our 3 year anniversary and other Akwaaba's after that. I think it's a great place to stay I highly recommend it to EVERYONE I know and will return.

Overall I think the owner has done a fantastic job with decor, employee's, theme, price, location etc..

Loved Akwaaba, will return

• Liked — I loved the hospitality!
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2008

The best qualities of this B&B are the location (great access to restaurants, museums, metro, the Mall, plus a safe neighbourhood) and the traditional style of the house - classic DC. The rooms are all original. We stayed in the Langston Hughes, which is very large, has a lovely jetted tub, a nice small balcony (the one with the flag on the pictures of the exterior of the house) and a huge comfy bed. The sitting area was also very nice and the room is very tasteful. We did not have a problem with water and enjoyed nice long baths. However, we had trouble getting some extra towels, and the towels and bed lined were somewhat worn out; they were all very clean though. The room, however, was quite dusty in the corners and the carpet was pretty dirty and did not get vaccum for the 3 days of our stay! Breakfast was OK - definitely had much better quality food in B&B. Overall, a good experience.

• Liked — Original room decor, historical house, location
  • Disliked — Cleanliness a bit spotty
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2008

Akwaaba Bed and Breakfast is surely Washington, DC's best kept secret. I wanted my anniversary to be different and it was more than exceptional. Akwaaba B&B was warm and unique. Each room is designed around a famous author, poet or saying. Our room was the "Inspiration Room" and yes it was inspiring. Breakfast was delicious and the hospitality was wonderful. We felt like we were home visiting family and friends. I recommend a stay at Akwaaba which by the way means "welcome" and who knows you might see me there.

San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2008

We stayed in the Romance Room and what a treat! Kema and her staff were the best part of our stay. Breakfast was always good and we enjoyed visiting with each other. We were able to walk to almost every place we wanted to see; thus, it is in an excellent location. We hope to return for the election and enjoy yet another stay in our home away from home.

Stayed June 2008
Milano, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2008

We stayed for 4 nights really enjoyed staying at Akwaaba. We stayed in the Inspiration Room: the room is on the 4th floor, so we were a little out of breath, but it was absolutely gorgeous. It looks exactly as you see it in the pictures, in fact all of the rooms were just as they were when looking on the website. The Inspiration room has a king sized bed, an original skylight and a clawfoot soaking tub in the room and is washed in light. The house was clean, absolutely beautiful, charming and full of character. Kema, the innkeeper, was so friendly and enthusiastic that we felt very at home. Breakfasts were great and the evening complimentary snacks were appreciated. The neighborhood is great; Whole Foods is within comfortable walking distance, as are a number of restaurants and attractions. The Dupont Circle Metro station is also convenient-- about a 10 minute walk. It is a very nice area and I felt comfortable walking back after dark. The only thing we didn't like was the staff don’t prepared the room every day, only changed towels if asked. However we highly recommend this B & B.

• Liked — The charming and full of character house
  • Disliked — The staff don’t prepared the room every day
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Alexandria, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2008

There are many wonderful things about this property. Kema and the rest of the staff that weekend were extremely helpful, very professional and as warm as close family. The property overall...precious! So many literary treasures to be enjoyed in every nook of the home. The decor rich, regal. The location was excellent. It was right in the middle of all that Dupont Circle has to offer. The Metro station was a few blocks away, but hey, my husband and I enjoyed the exercise. We only had a few issues. One, our bathroom (Romance Suite) although nicely decorated, cleaned, and stocked well had almost no water pressure in there. The water barely trickled from both the sink faucet and the dual shower heads. And it did seem to take a long time for the water temperature to get warm let alone hot. Two, it was cold in our room when we came back from the days activities because there was no central heat and it was unsafe to leave the space heater on all day. Finally, breakfast could use a more personal touch. This wasn't our first stay at a B&B and breakfast usually has some homemade flair in the preparation. Something reminiscent of recipes handed down from long ago. But all in all, a very enjoyable anniversary weekend.

• Liked — The decor of the inn, friendliness of the staff
  • Disliked — No parking!!
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Akwaaba DC? Share your experiences!