“Just thé place to go” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 33 Washington DC B&B and Inns
dusseldorf
“Just thé place to go”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

We stayed 3 nights we felt at home , It is clean .very Nice with old. Furniture .the staff is so helpfull. And chèerfull. Thé brekfast is so excellent ( 3 différent in 3 mornings) and névér eated. Such blueberry muffin. If. We Côme back from france we Will. Go to this place again thank You. Very much

Room Tip: We liked toni. Morrison room very quiet bécause. At thé back. Nô view but on noise
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

I was gifted the opportunity to stay at Akwaaba for a weekend after a friend could no longer make her reservation. I am forever thankful for this gift. Being in grad school and working I do not often have time for extended self-care activities. Akwaaba provided me with the most relaxing atmosphere with a location that allowed me to explore my city in a new way. The innkeeper Joanna was the picture of hospitality and welcome, she made me feel at home from the very start. I'm not sure if it was because of the literary theme and being surrounded by the spirit of so many amazing writers but I was able to get a lot of work done as I sat in the living room sipping a glass of shiraz from the complimentary happy hour. I stayed in the Modern Classics room which for a solo stay was more than adequate and the bed was very comfortable. Joanna was gracious enough to open the doors to the unoccupied rooms so that I could peek inside; I will definitely be booking the Zora Neale Hurston or Langston Hughes room for my partner and I in the future. Thank you Akwaaba and Joanna for some well needed R&R and for being a gem in the midst of the hustle and bustle.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Astoria, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

I travel to Washington DC a lot for work; this place has become my "home away from home" and my absolute preferred place to stay when I am in Washington. The staff is very pleasant and cheerful, the place is kept very clean and every room has its own bathroom, and the location cannot be beat for anyone wishing to be near the DuPont Circle / Embassy area. And they do a pretty good breakfast.

Highly recommended. I just hope my recommendation doesn't result in the place becoming too popular and I cannot get a room!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Bristol, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

I loved the feeling of being taken care of and looked after! I got a call from Joanne while I was still in Charlottesville, VA as I was boarding the train for DC. She was checking on me to make sure my arrival time was still the same.

Upon arrival, we enjoyed the beauty of the lobby and sitting room, along with that spectacular wood carved staircase. Joanne took me to my room and showed me around the house, informing us that wine and refreshments would be available at 5:00.

I also liked the fact that to get into the house we had to go through two doors with a special code that only the guests were given. It made me feel safe and comfortable...enough to go downstairs for breakfast in my pajamas!

Breakfast was DELICIOUS, and this is coming from a chef with 20 years of experience. The first morning the breakfast entree was a savory and flavorful baked egg dish, along with ham, fresh fruit, orange juice and coffee. The next morning was some delightful French Toast.

Joanne waited on us hand and foot, and was a wealth of information with regards to where to eat, how to get there, etc.

The neighborhood was quiet, and so close to everything. I know where I'm staying next time in DC!

Room Tip: I was in the Toni Morrison Room, and I loved the African art touches. My friends were in the suite...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

This was our first experience with a bed and breakfast, and we were impressed! We initially wanted to book a stay at the Pennsylvania location but we waited too long and all of the rooms were booked. The owner personally called my boyfriend and I to apologize and inquire about reservations at the other locations. She even upgraded us to the Langston Hughes suite and free parking. The pm inn keeper called us along the way for our ETA and to ensure that we were able to access the home, as we were running an hour and a half behind (we live 3.5 hours away). Unfortunately we missed the inn keeper, but a delicious cheese and pastry platter and wine was left for us! The next morning we went downstairs for breakfast and were greeted by homemade banana nut pancakes, Turkey bacon, yogurt and fruit. We also had a really good conversation with the am inn keeper about the home and attractions in the area.

The home was beautiful and maintained in all of its historic charm. The room was just as beautiful with its own bathroom and balcony. The neighborhood was walkable with many shops and restaurants. The location is also a 15-20 minute walk to the White House.

I will definitely be staying there again as well as making reservations at the other locations. The staff were very personable and made us feel like we were family.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

My wife and I had an excellent time there. Joanne was extremely nice and professional. She recommended many restaurants and live events to go to all were within walking distance from the hotel. The Langston Hughes room we stayed in was nice and very spacious.

• Stayed February 2014
Ambler, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

Our room was spacious and well appointed. Joanna was a terrific host and went out of her way to offer dining suggestions, transportation tips and arranging for taxi pickups.
I certainly will check to see if Akwaaba is available the next time we visit Washington.

Lloyd K