“None the less, I really like this place!” 4 of 5 stars

Akwaaba DC
1708 16th St NW, Washington DC, DC 20009 (Dupont Circle)   |
Ranked #6 of 49 Washington DC B&B and Inns
Newton, Massachusetts
“None the less, I really like this place!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

I haven't stayed in many B&Bs, so this was a little different for me. First, I admired the exterior The main floor is lovely--lots of victorian woodwork and period furninshings. I stayed in the Inspiration room. It is on the 4th floor--walkup, but that was fine. The room was very large, well decorated and very CLEAN. It has a claw foot tub in one corner of the room with netting surrounding it from the ceiling. I thought, "How nice---but I won't be using that." I had a great night's sleep in the comfy king bed. The next morning, try as I might, I could not get hot water in the shower. I tried everything. I didn't want to call Joanna since I had called ther the day before to help get the TV to work (it was unplugged). Faced with the prospect of being the guest who couldn't work the TV OR the shower, I got into the tub. Not a lot of water, but it was warm. Breakfast was very good. I will be back---but I'll try the shower the night before!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

276 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
La Verne, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Pluses: very quiet (the inn was full and we never heard any noise at all), wonderful location (walk to metro, numerous restaurants and shops), good breakfast, beautiful common rooms, very comfortable bed and first class linens, free Wi-Fi and newspaper, plenty of room on the bathroom counter. We stayed in the Mosley room (3rd floor in back) No noise at all from outside. Joanna was very friendly, and made us a "to go" breakfast when we had to leave early to catch our plane.
Minuses: Upstairs could use a little TLC-patch and paint. My in-laws were on the second floor (in the front) - that room was in better shape. Parking is extremely limited - and if you have to park off site, you must walk. I understand, this is D.C., but be forewarned. Breakfast is only served for a limited time, and on the weekends that is 9-10. I like to get going before then. overall a great stay, we would definitely go back (especially because this is the closest hotel to Mt. Pleasant, where our daughter lives)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Akwaaba is located on 16th an R Streets NW in one of DC's signature 19th century homes, which is centrally located between Dupont and Logan Circles, a great area to stay. That was my original reason for booking at Akwaaba. But I was truly impressed more by the staff and the set up itself. Naturally, Akwaaba has the amenities you expect, great breakfast, free and trouble-free wireless internet, cable and what not. The room I stayed (The Langston Hughes) was like a suite unto itself. The owner gave painstaking detail to the room to give it the 1940s ambience from the furniture the lighting, and the articles around that it energized me. The room is expansive and opens to the balcony overlooking 16th Street. The photos do not do it justice. And then the bathroom! It has a jacuzzi and shower and the complimentary soap and shampoo is supber. I snagged a couple of them to bring home. Joanna who manages Akwaaba was responsive and a great host. I would overload this page with positive exclamation marks, but you get the idea. I will stay here whenever I can.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for three nights. It was truly wonderful. The location was ideal and Joanna was so helpful. The meals were both excellent and generous. The room was spacious and very quiet/private. Could not have been better.

• Stayed May 2013
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

This is my 3rd year back at Akwaaba, and I continue to love the experience, no matter which room I stay in. The decor of each room is unique, and the hospitality of Joanne, the inn keeper is exceptional. She is so warm and friendly, always willing to help, and makes the most wonderful breakfasts and snacks. It's also enjoyable to meet and visit with the other couples who were at the B&B at the same time as us. This is a great alternative to staying at the host hotel for my yearly conference. I'll be back again next year!

Room Tip: The Langston Hughes room is HUGE and has a lovely jacuzzi tub and small balcony. It's on the 3r...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

...was amazing! From the time we walked in, Joanna was there to help in any way. She prepared delicious, filling breakfasts each morning, was happy to accommodate a vegetarian diet, answered our questions about shops and restaurants near DuPont Circle, and prepared snacks each evening. She was always available but never intrusive. Joanna really took wonderful care of us! The Modern Classics room was small, but well appointed and very comfortable for the two of us. The location was close to the Metro and affordable restaurants. We felt safe walking the neighborhood, and people-watching outside the Inn sipping our wine. The whole Bed and Breakfast experience, including sharing meals and conversations of adventures with a handful of like-minded travelers from all over the world, is one we would highly recommend, especially at Akwaaba.

Room Tip: Lovely older building with no elevator, our room required climbing 2 flights of stairs. Occasional...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Ypsilanti, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

The food was wonderful - breakfasts and 5 p.m. snacks. Joanna was the perfect host - had great restaurant and tour recommendations and reserved a cab for us. A computer and printer onsite for airline and tour passes. Newspaper available in the living room with area restaurant menus.

Room Tip: Enjoyed the large suite (Zora Neale Hurston) with the Jacuzzi tub. The red room pictured on the home...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Akwaaba DC? Share your experiences!