“Springtime in Washington” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 49 Washington DC B&B and Inns
Ypsilanti, Michigan
“Springtime in Washington”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

The food was wonderful - breakfasts and 5 p.m. snacks. Joanna was the perfect host - had great restaurant and tour recommendations and reserved a cab for us. A computer and printer onsite for airline and tour passes. Newspaper available in the living room with area restaurant menus.

Room Tip: Enjoyed the large suite (Zora Neale Hurston) with the Jacuzzi tub. The red room pictured on the home...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Boulder, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

We stayed at Akwaaba after a few days near the White House. What a nice break from the constant sirens and noise! Joanna is great, very friendly and helpful, and she makes great afternoon treats and tasty breakfasts. Just a short walk to Dupont Circle and the Metro, and lots of interesting restaurants. One morning we felt like walking, it's about 45 minutes to the Capitol and Supreme Court. Our room, Toni Morrison, was quiet and comfortable. HIghly recommended.

Room Tip: The Toni Morrison is one of the smaller rooms, but perfectly adequate for 2 of us.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Earlysville, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Our experience at the Akwaaba DC Writer's Suite was absolutely perfect for the four of us. I traveled with my mother and two daughters (7 and 8 years old) for a 3 night stay in DC. The neighborhood, Dupont Circle, is very pleasant. It is hard to determine where to stay in DC with all of the choices out there. We had a short list of "needs" for our stay; safety, cleanliness, a kitchen, and two bedrooms. I hoped to come in under $200 a night but this was the best choice for just a little bit more. The Writer's Suite is a basement apartment underneath the Bed and Breakfast. I felt so comfortable knowing that an innkeeper was there in case we had an issue. Joanna, the innkeeper, was great at check-in and was helpful and reachable when we needed a question answered about the kitchen. The Dupont Circle metro was 4 short blocks away and the walk down Embassy row on New Hampshire was lovely to get there. We took three different routes home just for fun because we felt so safe. Also, we stumbled upon a public recreation park for kids just two blocks away. Our girls needed some time to be free! When reading reviews about rental places, I read for the notes on cleanliness. This apartment was so clean! Furnishings were not new but it didn't matter when EVERYTHING was so tidy. Huge plus for us! The kitchen was just what we needed. Big enough to cook and efficient enough to need for nothing. We ate a hot breakfast every morning, packed our picnic lunches each day, and came home to relax and sit around the table for a home-cooked dinner. A great way to save money! The Safeway is 2 short blocks away! We did explore the restaurants on 17th Street and had a fantastic pizza dinner our first night there. Lastly, having two bedrooms was fantastic! My girls could "set up camp" in the extra sitting room while my mother and I relaxed and chatted on the leather sofa in the main living area. So, for other travelers, this listing is exactly what Akwaaba says it to be. I will not hesitate to book this rental again and I will strongly recommend my friends whom may travel to DC to give this place first thought! Enjoy this gem!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
East Orange
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

My daughter treated me to a calming stay at this location. The decor and service was outstanding. The breakfast and evening snacks were wonderful. One of the best things about our stay was the service that Joanna, the inn keeper showed. I have been talking about our experience to everyone I know here in New Jersey. Can't wait to try this location again...Keep up the good work..

Room Tip: All the rooms are good.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Pawtucket, Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed in DC last year and decided to try somewhere new this year. AKWAABA was the new place, The atmosphere is very calming, the property is beautiful and employees are great. The food served was great also, hot breakfast was something to look forward to. We would defiantly stay again. AAAAA++++++

Room Tip: All are nice
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Utica, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I spent three nights here and I couldn't have asked for a better experience. I have stayed in B&Bs all over the US, Latin America and Europe, and this was one of the best. Joanna went out of her way to be friendly, helpful and accommodating. She called to see if I would be back for the 5:00 "snack" and when I said that I wouldn't, she left wine, salsa & chips, nuts and strawberries in my room. Breakfasts were substantial but not overwhelming; I appreciated the fruit and the choice of turkey products over pork (sausage and bacon).
The Metro is 5 blocks away; restaurants, bars and a Whole Foods are within 2 or 3.
The size and decor of the rooms vary. I was in "Modern Classics" which is a relatively small room with a large bed, shower, no view (but no street noise either.) The Walter Mosley looked like a really nice, enormous room that also had a small balcony. All rooms have small fridges, reading materials, interesting decor. It's an old building and so the stairs and hallways are creaky but once inside you can't hear the neighbors.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I found Akwaaba to be a peaceful retreat after a busy day sightseeing. Akwaaba has a lot of interesting interior decorative woodwork which provides a lovely aesthetic and a cosy atmosphere. I found Joanna was friendly, helpful and provided excellent nonintrusive service all round. The breakfast table was a visual delight and the food delicious. I was in the Inspiration room and loved the light airy spacious feel and peaceful feel to it. The one minor issue was that the stairs were difficult to negotiate with a heavy suitcase, but Joanna was helpful with that too. The soaking bath was perfect to relax in after a days walking and sightseeing. The location is very convenient and close to a range of restaurants and and a 15 min walk to the White house and shops. It's also easy to hail a cab from Akwaaba. As a single female I felt safe walking around the area including in the evening.

Room Tip: Inspiration room is light, airy comfortable and a peaceful sanctuary. Being on the top floor you nee...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Been to Akwaaba DC? Share your experiences!