“Calm after the storm” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
East Orange
“Calm after the storm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

My daughter treated me to a calming stay at this location. The decor and service was outstanding. The breakfast and evening snacks were wonderful. One of the best things about our stay was the service that Joanna, the inn keeper showed. I have been talking about our experience to everyone I know here in New Jersey. Can't wait to try this location again...Keep up the good work..

Room Tip: All the rooms are good.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Pawtucket, Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed in DC last year and decided to try somewhere new this year. AKWAABA was the new place, The atmosphere is very calming, the property is beautiful and employees are great. The food served was great also, hot breakfast was something to look forward to. We would defiantly stay again. AAAAA++++++

Room Tip: All are nice
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Utica, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I spent three nights here and I couldn't have asked for a better experience. I have stayed in B&Bs all over the US, Latin America and Europe, and this was one of the best. Joanna went out of her way to be friendly, helpful and accommodating. She called to see if I would be back for the 5:00 "snack" and when I said that I wouldn't, she left wine, salsa & chips, nuts and strawberries in my room. Breakfasts were substantial but not overwhelming; I appreciated the fruit and the choice of turkey products over pork (sausage and bacon).
The Metro is 5 blocks away; restaurants, bars and a Whole Foods are within 2 or 3.
The size and decor of the rooms vary. I was in "Modern Classics" which is a relatively small room with a large bed, shower, no view (but no street noise either.) The Walter Mosley looked like a really nice, enormous room that also had a small balcony. All rooms have small fridges, reading materials, interesting decor. It's an old building and so the stairs and hallways are creaky but once inside you can't hear the neighbors.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I found Akwaaba to be a peaceful retreat after a busy day sightseeing. Akwaaba has a lot of interesting interior decorative woodwork which provides a lovely aesthetic and a cosy atmosphere. I found Joanna was friendly, helpful and provided excellent nonintrusive service all round. The breakfast table was a visual delight and the food delicious. I was in the Inspiration room and loved the light airy spacious feel and peaceful feel to it. The one minor issue was that the stairs were difficult to negotiate with a heavy suitcase, but Joanna was helpful with that too. The soaking bath was perfect to relax in after a days walking and sightseeing. The location is very convenient and close to a range of restaurants and and a 15 min walk to the White house and shops. It's also easy to hail a cab from Akwaaba. As a single female I felt safe walking around the area including in the evening.

Room Tip: Inspiration room is light, airy comfortable and a peaceful sanctuary. Being on the top floor you nee...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

My fiancé and I decided to celebrate our anniversary via a “staycation” at the Akwaaba Bed and Breakfast B&B in Washington DC (March 2013). The bed and breakfast is simply amazing. In fact the Akwaaba brand (we stayed at the Cape May location a number of years ago) is on point with respect to location, amenities and service. Whilst making our reservations the inn keeper quickly answered all of questions and was there to greet us when we arrived. When you walk in you will be in awe of the beauty of the mansion and how its been carefully decorated to honor and celebrate famous American authors. In fact when you arrive I really think you’ll feel right at home, check-in, formalities etc, hum…don’t remember those. What I do remember is the beauty, richness and elegance of the mansion. We stayed in the Langston Hughes Suite which was amazing. You walk into this grand room and it takes the word suite a new level. Complete with beautiful art, touches, balcony and fully modernized it was truly a treat to step back in time and just enjoy the regal beauty. We got an opportunity to check out all of the rooms and trust that no matter what you’ll choose they are all unique an special in their own ways.

Before I start repeating the same adjectives to describe the beauty of the mansion let me switch gears and touch base on the service. My fellow foodies the breakfast was great and making the experience even more special was the opportunity to meet other travelers and learn their stories over a great meal or a simple drink. In addition to inn keeper is very knowledgeable about local restaurants, things to do and places to go. Lastly, the owner (Ms. Monique) was there for one night during our stay and to our surprise (she remembered us from our stay at the Cape May location many years ago) laid beautiful rose petals, filled the Jacuzzi tub and light candles all throughout our room. When we returned later that evening and saw the personal touch and attention to detail even I as a dude was like whoa as my fiancé was just beaming…thank you Monique!!

Location
In one word, excellent. Easy to get to from all 3 major airports (National, BWI and Dulles) and parking is available (its easy) and guess what? its reasonable, they don’t gauge you like other hotel chains. In addition your right in the heart of Washington DC so everything is accessible via by foot, metro or car. If you’re a history buff like me you’ve love the access to all the cultural institutions right at your fingertips and if that’s not a draw, no problem there is great night life in a safe walkable distance.

So, all you have to do is show up, Akwaaba will do rest

Best

Room Tip: All the rooms are great but the Langston and Zora Neal Hurston are amazing!! Ask for the rooms faci...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Jersey City, New Jersey, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Sometimes you just need to get away so we did. Four friends and the Writers Retreat (the lower level apartment at the Akwaaba). Although parking could have been daunting we were lucky to get a space in front of the B&B both times we moved the car (parking gods exist ; ). Otherwise the B&B is central is everything we planned to do (and didn't get to do) by taxi or walking. The main floor is very nice if you like the vintage appeal of a sitting room (I DO) and our place was a little too much of the island decor, especially the pointless netting over the king size bed, but we were not picky as all we require is a clean space and comfy sleeping. We were able to cook our own foods and were provided a full kitchen with everything we needed (inclusive of teas and coffee). There were a few minor things like the water pressure, in the larger bathroom shower, but that could've been from an abundance of users at once and a few of our lamps didn't work (or the bulbs were blown). It's an old home so there are plenty of "old home" noises but nothing substantially loud. Also, if anyone sleeps in the back room on the futon be sure that you will be awakened to the smell of coffee, bacon and the noise of pots and pans clanging in the mornings. Either way we enjoyed our stay and were very comfortable in our space. We would definitely return but unsure of whether I would do that in the Summer as there were only 1 very small air conditioner in the Writers Retreat that I saw, my friends say there were 2.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
green16
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

This B$ B is a hidden gem in the heart of DC. Elegant display of the Harlem Renaissance era. The Langston Hughes room is large and wonderful. A delight to have his literature available. The rose petals and candles was a surprise and great highlight to a wonderful birthday. The food was impeccable. Breakfast was a wonderful display of home cooking.

The wireless internet in the rooms could use a boost.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Akwaaba DC? Share your experiences!