“Comfy Cozy” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 33 Washington DC B&B and Inns
Maryland
“Comfy Cozy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

Wow. What a treat to share in another Akwaaba experience. This was our first stay in the DC location and it was truly a wonderful & relaxing time. Arrived to the vibrance and elegance of the parlor, then on to the Zora Hurston room. The room was comfortable and decorated just as if we'd stepped into the 1930s with added comforts from the 21st century. We had the pleasure of being serviced by Glynn, who made us wonderful breakfast and made sure we were comfortable at every turn. The location is great and close to lots of sights including U st, Adams Morgan & even the White House. Thank you so much Akwaaka, we look fwd to visiting other locations including the soon to open Poconos site.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
YONKERS, NEW YORK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

loved everything about akwaaba, we stayed in the langston hughes room for my bday the first night kristen singleton, the innkeeper had our room decorated with rose petals drawn a bath in our jacuzzi it was lovely. the location was beautiful. I want to visit all of the akwaaba locations!!!

Room Tip: langston hughes room is big and it has a jacuzzi and a small balcony!!!
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Waldoboro
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

We've stayed there four times on business, but each stay has been a pleasure. Hosts work very hard to accommodate. The range of rooms, cozy to spacious, bright to sumptuous, is remarkable. Marvelous evening snacks if host(ess) knows you'll be in. Each room has the works of the authors for which it is named The location is ten minutes walk from Dupont Circle but with immediate access to the economical restaurants and stores of the more intact 17th street neighborhood. Be sure to try the Trio Restaurant. We've been there a total of twenty nights over four years and keep coming back.

Room Tip: Langston Hughes is a huge room on the third floor overlooking 16th st. Romance is on the second flo...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Perth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

Wonderful B&B, providing unique experience in historic and well decorated accommodation. Nice breakfast and close to large range of restaurants.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

This place will not Dissapoint you. The literary theme, featuring African American authors, past and present is phenomenal! You will feel very at home and comfortable during your stay. If the ambiance and the different themed rooms dont sell you; the breakfast surely will! If you want to experience a great bed and breakfast that feels like your own private retreat, this is a must see!

• Stayed February 2012
Germantown, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2011

For my 35th birthday I decided to do a 'staycation' in the DMV area. I was excited for this momentous birthday celebration, but one that I wanted to celebrate alone. To reflect. To WELCOME 35...and what better place than AkwaabaDC. When I found in online doing my search for B&B's...I was sold. It was a 5 min car ride from work, and it was more than I imagined it to be. It was historic. Peaceful. Enchanting. And as a writer and lover of poetry, this was indeed the place to stay.

The innkeeper Joanna! There are no words to quite describe. She's pleasant. Soft spoken. Engaging, and very proud of being a host to Akwaaba's guests. And the guests. How amazing is it that you get to dine with complete strangers, yet have a conversation that made it seem as though we traveled together? There wasn't a dull moment in my stay, despite the fact that I went to be secluded. The other guests helped make it all worthwhile.

I enjoyed EVERY minute of it and plan very soon to reserve another stay, with my mom.

I have a LOT more that I can say...even more than I did in my own blog (onikapascal.com). But to sum it up, its an immaculate get away from the traditional ambiance of a hotel. For an intimate peace and quiet.Akwaaba is DEFINITELY a place to stay.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

I've had the pleasure of being a guest at all of the Akwaaba B&B's in Cape May and Brooklyn and I must say that the D.C. manor is the jewel in the crown. From the moment I entered the elegant and inviting parlor to dropping my bags in the sumptuous Zora Neale Hurston suite, I felt like I had walked into an ad in a travel magazine. The staff was attentive, the tea time was delicious, and the breakfast was exceptional. I also like the B&B's proximity to great stores and shopping. Overall a perfect getaway that I will return to again and again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business