“Something Exciting is Happening in Washington, D.C.” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Joe's Seafood, Prime Steak and Stone Crab is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 2,710 Restaurants in Washington DC
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Ahwatukee, Arizona, United States
“Something Exciting is Happening in Washington, D.C.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

It is exciting to have a perfect dining experience on one’s visit to a new restaurant. Such was the case for my wife and me when we experienced Joe’s Seafood, Prime Steak & Stone Crab in the former Union Trust Bank Building a block from the White House in Washington, D.C.

Entering the restaurant on this cold dark & windy night we were immediately given a warm welcome by the host. Reservations, which are essential, were properly kept including our request for one of their few booths. The booths are slightly elevated and thus give you a wonderful view of the restaurant along with the diners, several on our night who were congressmen, as well as a famous Fox News anchor.

The walk to the dining room goes through a beautiful, very active bar. When you enter the dining room you immediately have the visual wow factor as this is an incredibly beautiful dining room. And, it is a large room capable of sitting along with the bar seating, I believe 350 diners.

Our pre-dinner martini orders were quickly taken and they were perfect. My wife commented that her Cosmo was the best she has ever had. The menu was almost over-whelming considering the variety of selections that were offered. We began with an appetizer of three different oyster types on the half shell. The oysters; Barren, Island Creek and Olde Salt are East Coast oysters, very fresh and tasty. I am getting hungry thinking about them.

The salad selection is very good and I like that some of the offerings are to share, which we did. The chopped lettuce, tomato, onion & blue cheese were perfectly prepared. With the martinis finished, we moved on to wines. Any gourmand will be pleased with the extensive selection and how well they complement the food offering.

While I enjoy stone crabs, when I saw that the menu contained Jumbo Lobster Tails at 14 ounces, there was no hesitation and my wife and I enjoyed them immensely. Actually they were incredible. While you don’t typically think of steaks in a seafood restaurant, the prime cuts we saw going past our booth looked wonderful.

Typically we do not do desert although the listing of deserts available changed our minds. Instead of one of the many crème pies we went with the Gold Brick, two large scoops of vanilla ice cream covered with quick sealing chocolate containing nuts.

What about service? Again perfect and our server, Oscar, if he is typical of the army of servers roaming the room, they will have set a new standard for service in Washington.

Finally I complement the owners and management of this restaurant. They have really created a fine dining experience that is second to none. Perhaps one day they will consider a location in Arizona. If they do, I know one couple that will be there weekly.

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Burtonsville, Maryland
“Great fine dining ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

Everything about our meal was wonderful! We had top notch service throughout the evening. The stone crab claws were delicious. If you have never had them, you must try them. They were very juicy and flavorful. My husbands filet was one of the most tender cuts of meat that he has ever had. The sides (which can be shared) are very large. You can get a 1/2 order. Be sure to save room for the key lime pie. Also be sure to arrive early and have a drink in their bar. It is very spacious and classy.

Canton, Ohio
“Joe's Stone Crab - Now in DC!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

I have been to Joe's in Chicago and Las Vegas, so I was thrilled that one opened in DC - right across the street from the Sofitel Hotel. The food is great. This is an excellent addition to DC and especially in this area. I will definitely eat here whenever I'm in DC.

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Random Monday Hit!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

Because of all the snow this winter, we had become lazy and not gone out enought. We decided to head downtown after the snow stopped and tyr the new Je's Stone Crab. It's in an amazing old buyiltin with original MASSIVE colums and flooring. It used to be a bank or Trust COmpany but they have donw a terrrific job with the build out. While it was quiet bc of the snow and Modnay night thing, it has the potential to have the best Bar Sceene on DOwntown DC. The dining room is off to the side, lower ceilings and great for conducting business or, like the people near us - celbrating a brithday . Stone Crabs were the best ever (I eat them a lot in FL) the creamed spinach & Hash Bowns _ YUMM! Ceasar Salad, Crab Stuffed Shrimp - ALL TERRIFIC> Only wish we wnet with a crowd so we could try more sides.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Maryland
“Nice Spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

The renovation of an old bank building is a perfect spot for this traditional Miami spot. The sound is amazing---you can actually hear people at your table---and the food is really good. The stone crabs (medium sized) we pricey ($60 for 4 claws) but the rest of the menu is reasonable by DC standards. We will be back!

Visited February 2014