“The cast of Janis Joplin blew me away!” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #37 of 234 Attractions in Washington DC
3 attraction reviews
“The cast of Janis Joplin blew me away!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Arena Stage was a great venue for One Night With Janis Joplin! The intimate theater makes the audience feel so close to the cast of this show destined for success on Broadway. The Blues singers made the historic musical connections so real. Wow! Alison Cusano made Janis Joplin come ALIVE, man! What a fun experience! (If there was a dance "area" up front...I would have totally been there. I was chair dancing as best I could....until the end when the crowd was told to stand up and rock out!) Cheers to director/creator Randy Johnson! I think I have to make that trip to NYC to experience another flashback with Janis.
(Thank you to Arena Stage....for the comfortable seat and the tart Margarita.)

Visited August 2013

Alexandria, Virginia
10 attraction reviews
“One night with Janis Joplin at Arena Stage”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

"ONE NIGHT WITH JANIS JOPLIN is going to Broadway! Mary Bridget Davies and Randy Johnson’s “exhilarating” (Washington Post) show will transfer to New York in September and Broadway will discover what our audiences have known for months – this show rocks! "

I am quoting them, but the real surprise of the evening was that Mary Bridget Davies shared the stage with Sabrina Elayne Carten who represented the "blues" singer and profound influence that black jazz singers had on Janis Joplin. The back up band was excellent, while not quite
Big Brother and the Holding Company.. they were up the to task of backing up Ms Davies as she sang and mused about "her life" as Janis Joplin.

Having seen Janis Joplin in real life in 1969 at the Alexandria VA, Roller Rink, (I think it was that year) something one never would forget.. I had a basis for comparison; but I won't make a comparison because Janis Joplin bigger than life.
If you get the chance .. see this show..

Visited July 2013
Apex, North Carolina
12 attraction reviews
“Awesome show! Impressive venue!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I have been regularly traveling to DC for several years now and was looking to branch out to other venues than the usual Kennedy Center and theatres. Now I will always look to see what is happening at Arena Stage anytime I return! It is conveniently located only about a block from the metro stop, so it was not difficult to find. Once we were inside, we went up the stairs to the concessions station, which was right outside of the theatre. I was a little taken back that I was charged $2 for a small plastic cup of diet Coke with too much ice, but after the ticket prices, what's a couple more bucks? The show we saw was One night with Janis Joplin, which had just recently been selected for Broadway, and we could definitely see why! Extraordinary voices, extraordinary band members, and a sold out Sat night made for a most incredible experience! We were on the front row of the balcony, which has got to be the best seat in the house since it allows you to see everything going on, but there really isn't a bad seat in the house. There wasn't much leg-room, but on the front row we were allowed to put our feet up on the railing, which helped the comfort level. No cupholders, so you either needed to hold your drink or keep it right between your feet so a neighbor wouldn't accidentally knock it over. All in all, excellent evening and well worth the ticket price. We'll definitely be back!

Visited July 2013
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
7 attraction reviews
“Beautiful Theater”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Arena Stage is a lovely theater that is perfect for a night out! I'm a college student, so I love the young person discounts they provide (pay your age, student discount)! It is accessible and they pick fabulous shows that really make you think.

Visited May 2013
Clinton, MD
6 attraction reviews
“Great Shows”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

The Arena Stage Shows each season are tremendous! Great variety of classical, musical, comedy, satirical, historical, political and human interest productions. The talent is also of a professional quality

Visited May 2013