“Great for a Nationals Game” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Marriott Reward Savings!
Ranked #56 of 130 Hotels in Washington DC
Hershey, Pennsylvania
“Great for a Nationals Game”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We stayed at this Courtyard Hotel while in D.C. for a Washington Nationals game. Lets start with the good first:
Easy to access and the parking is under the hotel which is very convenient. With parking fee and tax it's like $30.00 to park for the night but you'll have this at any hotel in D.C. where parking spaces are at a premium. The hotel is new and modern. Our hotel room was clean. LIke sterile clean. I need to hire the cleaning staff that did our room to come clean my house. And best of all the hotel is a short 3 minute walk from Nationals Park.

The bad: I had called ahead two weeks before our check-in date and made two requests: An early check-in and a lower level room. I was given the opportunity to request the check-in time and the room floor. I requested to check-in at 1 oclock and to have a room on the first or second floor. I was informed that an early check in time was on a "as possible" basis but my request should be possible. I arrived at exactly 1 oclock and found our room wasn't ready. The room wasn't ready until 2:20. And then we were given a room on the 8th floor and a lower level room wasn't an option.

I understand that both of my request were just that, requests, but if they can't be accommodated then don't give the guest the expectation that they can be.

There was no complimentary coffee in the morning although there is a coffee bar in the lobby.

TL:DR version: The hotel is convenient, clean, and the staff is helpful and polite but don't anticipate them to follow through on special requests or accommodations.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
CYWASNY1, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard Washington Capitol Hill/Navy Yard, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
MD26225

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at the hotel. I am truly sorry that we were unable to check you into your room sooner.

We always try our best to satisfy as many guest requests as possible. However, requests such as early check ins, are highly dependent on the occupancy of the hotel the night before and what time the guests that are currently in the hotel check out so that housekeeping has access to the rooms.
Hopefully the next time you visit us, we will be able to make this happen for you.

Thanks again for your feedback and have a great day.

K. Andre Antoine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

My husband had to travel to DC for work and my 18 month old and I decided to tag along. I was worried this hotel would be typical of many other DC hotels in that they claim to have excellent accommodations and service but then treat families with small children as a nuisance. This hotel was not like this at all. At the evening dinner socials and breakfast alike there was a healthy mix of business professionals and what were clearly tourists with young families - and the staff catered to both. Our room was extremely clean and nice, and we couldn't have been in a more convenient location given that my husband was working from the Navy Yard and my daughter and I wanted to be able to walk to the National Mall area. The only negative thing I will say about the hotel (and I am not sure there's much they could do to change it besides maybe include information at the time of booking) is that parking was really confusing. There are, immediately adjacent to the hotel, at least two other parking garages that are non-hotel affiliated (and in one at least you cannot park overnight). In order to park in hotel parking, you must check in, receive a card indicating parking privileges, and then go park in a garage with extremely narrow entrances/exits. We found this confusing, but maybe that was just us. This clearly wasn't a big enough deal to us to keep me from giving the hotel 5 stars.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Ms. Hrp963-

Thank you for your kind words about our property. I am really happy that everything worked out for you and your family during your stay with us.

As far as the parking sitatuion, We do want all incoming guests to check-in at the front desk before they attempt to park their car. This is done, since we are so near to the Stadium, to prevent non hotel guests from parking and taking spots that are for hotel guests on game days. While we realize that this is "different" it has proving effective. Having said this, once you have checked- in and have been assigned parking, you can go in and out of the garage as many times as you want.

I hope this brings a little more clarity to our parking structure. We hope to see you and your family again in the near future.

All the best.

Guest Services Manager.
Franklin, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

traveling with my 14yr-old son, taking in a Nats game. The room and service was very good. The front desk is very helpful. The pool area left a lot to be desired - small, and the heated pool was pretty cold. I had to battle many small kids for a tiny piece of pool real estate. I will be smarter about parking next time - $55 for two nights, with ominous warnings from the desk staff that parking in the street on game day would almost certainly get me towed - not sure of the truth behind that with all the out-of-state plates I saw on game day with no tickets. However, the stay was solid - no complaints except those above. The area needs more restaurants, but you can get by within a 3-4 mile radius. Check out Ted's Bulletin for breakfast.

Room Tip: We faced some sort of apartment building from our room in the back of the building - ask for somethi...
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Location- It's close to the Metro which is quite convenient and interesting compared to the NYC subway system. It's clean but I was a bit confused at first on how to get tickets. May wanna look into that.
Room- It was damp so I cranked up the air to super cold to rid the moisture. Beds were comfy but the carpet on the floors had a weird funk. Yuck!
Housekeeping- I wanted to be sure they cleaned the room when we were gone in the morning and front desk said not to worry. On the return, no housekeeping until around 5-6pm so we refused. Disappointing.
Indoor Pool- chlorine smell was pretty strong but anytime you have a hot tub around an indoor pool, you will always smell chlorine. Clean and okay but pool was smaller than expected.
Parking- if you read the signs, you can find street parking without having to pay $29 for the lot next door. We had no problem finding street parking on a weekend.

Mr. Eunmic-

Thank you for your feedback on our hotel. While I am disappointed that we fell short of your expecations, I do value your feedback. The carpet smell and your room not being cleaned until well in the evening is simply unacceptable and steps will be taken to ensure these matters get resolved.

Thanks again and we do hope to see again.

Guest Relations Manager.
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

We came to town for a Nats game and this hotel is perfectly located for that purpose. I agree with all the reviews, so I won't repeat. Duane was also very helpful the first evening we got here. I will, however, reiterate the parking situation. First off, it is more cost effective to find a spot on the street and get the "Park mobile" app on your phone that way you can be anywhere and "feed the meter". You won't spend the $29.50 it costs for the parking garage, even if you're "lucky" enough to actually get a spot in it. I recommend taking the metro if your going sightseeing instead of dealing with the traffic and finding spots in the busy part of the city. We made that mistake on our way in, and it caused a lot of friction between my husband and I that first day. We left our car on the street all of Sat (fed the meter via my phone per text and email alerts)...pretty cool you can do that, and took the train to the museum, then walked to the Nats game. Now that I know what the deal is with the parking, I would definitely stay here again if I were to come back to DC.

• Stayed August 2013
Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

If you're going to a Nationals game and you don't want to drive in or take the Metro, well this is the hotel to stay at. Our room was on the top floor, but no view to speak of as it faced a condo building. There is a small Bistro and a bar in the building as well as a small area where you can get snacks 24/7. The Bistro and Bar close fairly early and there really isn't much around the hotel within walking distance if you want to eat late - say after 10pm. The metro was only a block away and is an easy cheap ride into the capitol area and museums. The location is also a quick 5-10 minute drive to Reagan National Airport.

Yes, parking is a hassle, but I knew that by reading these reviews. Get checked in early and you have a better chance at getting a parking spot. Once you have one reserved, you will get to keep a spot in the garage for the length of your stay and can come and go as you please without having to worry about someone else checking in and getting your spot. You do have to drive into the parking garage, but just inside the garage there will be an attendant that will actually park (and retrieve) your car.

The best thing about this hotel is the service at the front desk. They were wonderful and really helped us figure out how to use the Metro. They also hooked us up with a tour that picks you up at the hotel. All-in-all, a very nice hotel.

Room Tip: Check in early to get a parking space reserved.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
CYWASNY1, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard Washington Capitol Hill/Navy Yard, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Patricka5-

Thank you so much for your kind words and fair review of our hotel. While are parking lot does tend to fill up rather quickly especially when the Nationals are playing a weekend series, there still tends to be plenty of street parking available on the blocks surronding the hotel.

As for our Front Desk staff, well we take great pride in ensuring that all our guests, before they start exploring the city, are well informed of how the metro (subway) systems works and how to get to all the major attractions that Washington DC has to offer.

Thanks again for visiting us and we hope to see you again in the near future.

K.Andre Antoine
Guest Services Manager.
Avon, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

This appears to be a fairly new hotel in the downtown area, and it is reasonable priced by DC standards. We swam in the indoor pool with our granddaughter. It was small, but conveniently located on the 2nd floor. We ate breakfast every morning at the hotel, which was a somewhat crowded and noisy each day, but the food was good and convenient. There is valet parking but it is located right in the hotel if you need in/out access. From the New Jersey St. side you can see the Capitol dome, and looking in the opposite direction you are within walking distance of the Washington Nationals' baseball stadium. The towels and the paper cups were a little disappointing after staying at the Marriott the night before, but the A/C worked great and was refreshingly welcome considering the 96 F. heat outside.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Courtyard Washington Capitol Hill/Navy Yard? Share your experiences!