“Not up to standard of other Courtyards by Marriott” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #63 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
chicago
“Not up to standard of other Courtyards by Marriott”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Although the hotel was clean and the bed comfortable (although on the soft side), the towels were thin and scratchy as was the toilet paper in the room. TP in public areas was better quality. There are two computers in lobby for guest use. During the entire four days of our stay, one did not work, and the other worked very poorly. There were constant error messages to deal with which made any task take 3x as long.
The alarm portion of the alarm clock in our room did not work. However, we were able to get a wake up call from front desk.
Message light on phone does not show up except in dark, so we did not know we had had messages since mid afternoon until waking up in the middle of the night and then seeing the light. Most hotels have something that flashes to alert you.
Excellent personnel at the front desk - very friendly and helpful.
Hotel is remote from anything in the District except the ball park. There is a bus that comes every 12 min. during the day that goes to and from Union Station, passing Capitol Hill. The Metro is a block away. However, it is the Green line which did not go anywhere we wanted to go, so we constantly had to transfer to other lines.
Although there is a lot of activity in the area during the day due to office buildings, not much activity at night. Few restaurants in the area. The area does seem safe at night, however, with no suspicious characters hanging around. We returned by Metro at 9:30 p.m. I had been apprehensive that we would be the sole people exiting the train but there were about 20 others.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
CYWASNY1, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard Washington Capitol Hill/Navy Yard, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
TravelolChicago-

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Courtyard by Marriott Navy Yard. I am elated that your Front Desk experience was excellent. Moreover, I am happy to report that both computers in the Business Center are up and running. As for the paper products and linen, while we do receive our supplies directly from Marriott approved vendors; I will take this opportunity to double check and ensure we are ordering the most up to date approved products.

Should you have any additional comments or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact hotel and ask for me.

Best
K. Andre Antoine
Guest Services Manager

349 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Upon arrival to the hotel I was greated by Dwayne. He was very professional. He recommended some resturaunts told where the train was, How to park the car in the parking garage and how to re-enter the hotel. I have never felt more welcome in a hotel. We got to our room it was one in front with the wrap around windows. Room was beautiful! Linen was fresh and the ac was running when we got in. We used the pool and the hot both were clean and stocked with towels. We ran in to the maintenance man when he was cleaning the pool area he was very polite too. Hotel is in a great location and easy transportation. Will stay here again on my next visit to DC

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

My friend and I first bemoaned having to stay so far away due to the Cherry Blossom Festival, but then we were more than pleased with the choice. The concierge and front desk personnel are excellent and their recommendations for restaurants on 8th street - an easy less than a mile walk - were perfect. A Metro station is literally right across the street and so it made for easy travel to the National Gallery and then to the Mall. The location is also very quiet, which can be rare in DC, and I would certainly use this hotel again for a weekend or longer trip to DC.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The hotel is relatively new and the staff very attentive although somewhat rough around the edges. The room was fine, and the bed comfortable. The restaurant was very limited and there are no options nearby. Parking is a real problem. Excellent location for Nationals games and stadium, an easy walk.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Location is not superb, ~20-25 mins to the capitol by walk. Location in the DC is very important since taxi service is very poor. I wouldn't take this location again...

The rest is as you would expect from a good hotel - large clean rooms, good bed, good bath, friendly staff.

The parking is somewhat expensive - ~$25 / day

Indoors heated pool and hot tub are great advantages!!! There aren't lots of them in the DC!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I listed the name of my location above because I couldn't find it. Its one block from the Nationals Baseball Stadium and a perfect view of the Capitol. The hotel was clean and nice. Parking was expensive but what else is new about DC. If you park on the street, its free from 630p - 7a. By 7:10am, you have a parking ticket. Your 7 blocks from 8th street where alot of locals dine. Metro rail is also 1 block away.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Sewell, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Started out with really dumb parking situation. Drive to the parking lot, and the attendant says you have to pull to the front of the hotel, get a pass, then come back and they will then take your car (inside the garage) and park it for you. Did they ever hear of valet? Showed up at 2 PM on 4/3 and room not ready. Staff didn't really seem to care. Looked over at the snack area, and there were ~8 other people waiting for their rooms. New Bistro area closed, so no chance of coffee or snack. After waiting for 15 minutes, I asked when I could expect my room, they said they didn't know. I asked would it be in time for normal check in at 3, they said probably (BTW - I am a Gold Elite Marriott member). I then asked if them to take my cell phone number so I could go out and get a coffee (with the new Bistro, they don't provide coffee anymore. Can only buy Starbucks for ~$3 when the Bistro is open). The next morning, I went to Bistro for breakfast. Ordered oatmeal and banana breakfast with coffee. They gave me a number and said they would bring it to me. I was basically put into a queue behind the people who ordered eggs, etc. After asking 10 minutes later where was my oatmeal, they finally poured the pre-made oatmeal into a bowl and gave it to me. Midway through the meal, I realized I was chewing on a plastic piece of paper. After bringing this to the manager's attention, he said I could have my money back or have a free breakfast the next day.
Place overall is very cold. Hallways, lobby, etc all require a sweatshirt or jacket. The walls are very thin. A number of times I woke up thinking someone was walking around, and it turned out to be the next room or hallway. Room was also very chilly. Also there was no bath soap in my room. Went to the lobby and they were out. They said they would have someone bring one up. Waited 1/2 hour, took a shower with the facial soap. After I was dressed and leaving for my dinner engagement, someone showed up with the soap. Also the internet had two speeds, slow and stop.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to Courtyard Washington Capitol Hill/Navy Yard? Share your experiences!