“Beef Tenderloin is AMAZING” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Tavern at the Henley Park Hotel

The Tavern at the Henley Park Hotel
926 Massachusetts Ave, Henley Park Hotel, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Formerly Coeur de Lion)
202-414-0500
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Tavern at the Henley Park Hotel is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #642 of 2,710 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American, Contemporary, Tea Room
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 10th and Massachusetts Avenue
Transit: Metro Center, Mt. Vernon Square, Convention Center
Description: The Henley Park Hotel welcomes you to the The Tavern at the Henley Park( Formerly known as Coeur De Lion), a favorite among the DC locals. This restaurant is adorned with a stunning skylight atrium, ornate chandeliers, and a natural brick face. Our Chef offers a diverse New American menu featuring the freshest regional ingredients. For a less formal atmosphere we offer a light Small Plates menu in the Blue Bar. We also offer a Formal and Royal Tea, served in our beautiful Wilkes Room by the fireplace, or, in any of our luxurious private suites.
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Beef Tenderloin is AMAZING”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011

My hotel's kitchen was closed for the night so they told me to head to Coeur de Lion. I am so glad I did. The service was outstanding -- 5 star. The food prices were within acceptable range (I was on business and am used to paying $25 and up for an entree) and the serving staff was very helpful in putting together combinations for me. I ended up having the excellent Caesar's salad and the beef tenderloin. I can't say enough about the beef -- it was perfectly cooked, tender, delicious and the port wine reduction was plate-lickable. I could have done without the shiitake mushrooms -- why are those popular at all? But the steak itself was so perfect that I excused the shrooms.

They have an excellent and reasonably priced wine list as well.

Thoroughly recommend.

Visited November 2011

Atlanta, Georgia
“Get the Omelet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

Only had breakfast but it was excellent but expected to pay a little more for the great food and service. I think it was worth it.

Visited October 2011
Halifax, Canada
“I wouldn't revisit.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2010

Located inside the historic Henley Park Hotel, this was a convenient first stop for us to have lunch after checking into the hotel. Nice atmosphere in the bar and restaurant, and we were seated promptly.
After that, things went downhill. We didn't know who our server was, the wait for our small lunchtime food order was 45 minutes, no one bothered to refill our water or touch base with us on the wait for food. Others around us were offered bread, but we didn't receive any until 45 minutes after being seated, and that was right before our food was delivered.
My food order was missing a component and I had to flag down our server to point it out. He didn't say a word to me, but rushed into the kitchen to yell at them. The restaurant was not busy at this time.
I was irritated enough to discuss the service in private with the manager, who offered to take half off the bill. I agreed, but that was not my motive for giving him my feedback. I just thought he should know how bad the service was. I had made prior reservations for dinner the next evening and was rethinking that reservation.
The manager called my room a few minutes later and told me that lunch was on him, and that the entire bill would be cleared from my room charge. (Upon checking out 3 days later at 5AM I saw that he had not taken care of it. I had to discuss it with the front desk when departing.) He asked for us to return to the restaurant to try it again.
It was raining that day so we decided to give it a go for dinner. Service was much better for that meal but the food was merely passable so we decided that it was best to try somewhere else for the next night (good decision- check out my other reviews).

Now for the food. For lunch, we had the crab cake sandwich on brioche with frites and the chicken ques with salad. The quesadilla was very good, it was a buttery phyllo instead of a fahita wrap and was prepared with good quality chicken. The salad and frites were very good as well. The crab cake had a good texture and plenty of crab, but it wasn't very flavorful and I wouldn't have it again. I didn't try the brioche so I can't comment on it. Our dinner was a caesar salad, cream of mushroom soup, tuna appy and the grilled chicken with fingerling potatoes. Everything was good except the tuna appetizer, it was slightly overdone and not very flavorful.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Romantic, cozy, full of...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2008

Romantic, cozy, full of light & shadow courtesy of the massive glass and steel roof hanging over the restaurant. We asked for a special table that's tucked into a corner. Evidently, this is the romantic table. The food was quite good and it made for a memorable evening.