“Not sure if we'd go back” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Cambria Suites - Washington, DC - Convention Center

You added Cambria Suites - Washington, DC - Convention Center to your Saves list
Cambria Suites - Washington, DC - Convention Center
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   899 O Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20001   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #49 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
“Not sure if we'd go back”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

Cons - When we 1st arrived about an hour after check in time we had to wait 15 min. until they got a room ready for us. They had given us a handicapped equipped room and I felt bad about that in case a person with disabilities needed the room as we did not. On the first night, we went to use the pull out sofa and the engineers who designed the room did not allow for the bed to fully open. (The built in cabinets/wet bar area did not allow enough room for the sofa bed to open). We called the front desk and they sent one of their on duty engineers to the room. He tried to remove the cabinet door to see if that would work but he was unsuccessful; he informed us we would have to switch rooms. Since it was 1130 pm and we were very tired from our 8 hour train into the city and being up since 4am, we declined and said we can move tomorrow and we did not want to disturb the other guests that late anyway. After he left, we moved a VERY HEAVY sofa to allow it to open so we could use it.

The next day we moved to a new room, the last guest had shut the safe and we could not lock our things up to go out for the day. I called the front desk and they said the engineer would be there in 3-5 minutes to reset it but he did not show up for 45 minutes after I called a 2nd time. There were also 2 lights out so while he was there, I asked them to have him change the lights. He left to get new lights and said he would be right back; 25 minutes later he finally came back. I was upset, since we had to switch rooms and now we had to wait on the safe and lights to be fixed, it made us a little more than 2 hours behind schedule, there was one site we missed seeing on our trip due to this delay so I was very unhappy about that and so was one of my sons.

After a few nights in the new room, the pipes in the walls by the bathroom made knocking noises that got louder as the days went by. I made mention to the manager and even let him hear a recording of the sound. He said he would have someone look into it, not sure if he ever did as we never heard from the manager or an employee about it. We did not want to move rooms again for a 2nd time so we just tolerated it.

The front desk clerk had asked me one time how my stay was going and I mentioned the issues, she apologized for all the inconveniences and asked me if we ever got the microwave we requested upon booking. I told her no and said I even asked about it the day of check in but did not get. She made sure we got a microwave and said she would talk to her manager to see what else she could do to “make up” for the problems but I never heard from her or the manager and they never did do anything more for us.

The housekeeping staff threw away something that was on the nightstand and may have looked like nothing but it was something that should not have been thrown out. I did not appreciate them touching things they should not have touched and should not have thrown something away that was not in the garbage, I did not allow them back in my room until after we checked out. I also did not appreciate that even though we had the do not disturb sign on the door that they knocked anyway the next day. I guess they liked my tip so much that they wanted to come back in to get another one. We ran out of toilet paper because the day they did clean the room, they did not replace the one that was used.

Now the pros – the hotel was very clean as it is new. The décor is very nice and the rooftop patio was gorgeous, by far our favorite part of the hotel. I wish they had more than one fire pit though as we never were able to sit by it as all the seats were always taken. The view from there was so nice and it was relaxing to sit there and enjoy the view and breeze. The beds were very comfortable and my 17 yr. old son said the sofa bed was very comfortable as well. The hotel is located directly next door to a Giant, a grocery store, which was very nice since I had children and wanted snacks and juice in the room. The metro is only 2 & 1/2 blocks away which was not very far. All and all it was just ok due to our issues. I paid a lot of money to stay there as we stayed 6 nights. I would have at the very least liked a follow-up on items I brought to their attention and for the issues we had, I would have liked a call or visit from the manager to make it known they valued me as a guest and cared that we were more than understanding of all the issues!! Stay at your own risk-----maybe after they are open a little longer they may become more attentive and get some of the kinks worked out!!

Room Tip: Our view was of the grocery store so I was not happy about that, not sure what other views were but...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Cambria Suites - Washington, DC - Convention Center, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Dear Ms. Sandra Z

The recurring theme involves a lack of communication on our end to efficiently resolve concerns. We certainly take such failures to heart and strive that such experiences are few and far between, if ever. Our department heads in the front office, rooms care and engineering have been challenged to make sure those items listed under our control do not recur and/or are resolved and I will work alongside our team to make sure we hold ourselves to the highest standards.

Attentively and Cordially,
Francisco

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Turkish first
KC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

I booked this hotel before it opened - so I was expecting something shiny and new. I was amazed at the sleek beauty of the interior. Beautiful restaurant and bar area was nice - but the upstairs patio and the view is incredible! The rooms were very comfortable and "green" with recycling in the room. I appreciate that! The beds are fabulously comfortable and I like the bed linens they chose. There were places to have meeting within the restaurant and a conference table room glassed in just beyond it. The location is accessible to the Metro. I would suggest walking 8th street - rather than 7th. 7th is "grittier" and my travel companion got a look from a local that sent chills up my spine on 7th. We were 2 women traveling together and 8th street felt safer. Wish I had figured that out sooner - so I wanted to save you the learning curve!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Washington Township, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

This new hotel had a great look. I loved the decor and the way everything was layed out. The rooms were clean and very modern. The staff was fantastic from the minute I arrived until the time I checked out. Christian at the bar was very knowledgeable about the menu and helped me decide on the perfect meal. He was attentive and very friendly to everyone there. Everyone who I came in to contact with was willing to help. Even the General Manager helped me bring my bags to my car upon departure!! I will definitely visit again!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Cambria Suites - Washington, DC - Convention Center, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Dear Mgi032,

So many great mentions I don’t know where to start!

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and other travelers. As we settle into our new home, each day is better than the last. Your review serves as encouragement towards achieving our goal of providing an experience reflective of our beautiful hotel. Your kind words let us know the efforts across all departments are being noticed. On behalf of Christian and our entire team, we are truly humbled by your recognition and await your return!

Best,
Francisco Selles, General Manager
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

We stayed only for 1 night , but we will definitely stay here again. This hotel is the nicest anyone could ever hope to stay in. Very clean, excellent servise, nice and comfortable room, with sitting area.Excellent location in walking disance to restaurants. Thank you for a great stay!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Cambria Suites - Washington, DC - Convention Center, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Hi Diana C!
Nice review!
The highest form of praise is a referral or a return visit. We truly appreciate such a wonderful review, it's the nicest we could ever hope for ;-)
Please join us again!
Best,
Francisco Selles, GM
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014 via mobile

Very clean and spacious rooms. The only problem we had was the lout music from the bar that we could hear in our room on the sixth floor. The music, which was a live band, played until 11 pm. This is very disrespectful to the guest, who paid good money to get some rest after a long day of sightseeing.

Other than that we loved the place.

• Stayed June 2014
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Cambria Suites - Washington, DC - Convention Center, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Dear Mr David K

I regret that your hotel experience was affected by the party taking place at the newly inaugurated condominium next door. It was not a hotel sponsored event. Unfortunately, I was not made aware of this in advance, otherwise we would have worked to place our guests on the opposite side and on lower floors, away from the rooftop party.

I am glad to hear you loved the hotel and that you found it clean and spacious… Those items are under our control and we work hard to exceed the expectations of every guest.

Thank you for the review!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

We stayed for 6 nights, the hotel was great. It was clean, quiet, and all the staff was extremely polite and friendly. We ate at the hotel's restaurant numerous times, it was good every time. There are a very select number of restaurants close. The subway is about .3 miles away, not a bad walk. Would definitely stay here again. The only thing is they need more towel hooks in the bathroom, they have one hook on the back of the bathroom door. There is a lot of room behind the door for more hooks.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Cambria Suites - Washington, DC - Convention Center, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Dear Mr Anthony W

Wow! What a great review! We are truly humbled by your kind words and appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with others. Considering you were here for 6 days I trust you had the chance to explore the hotel and interact with our team and for that reason your review is so valuable to us.

I will work on getting more hooks for the bathroom if you promise to join us again.

Kindest Regards, Francisco
Centennial, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

We chose this hotel because of availability. The accommodations were top of the line. We held our conference here and they were so attentive to our needs and kept checking on us to make sure everything was as we wanted it. The individual rooms were very comfortable. I especially liked there was a sitting area where you didn't have to sit on the bed to watch TV in the evenings. I will definately return when the need arises.

Room Tip: Several nice restaurants within walking distance. But Breakfast and dinner were served at the hotel...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Cambria Suites - Washington, DC - Convention Center, responded to this review, June 14, 2014
Dear Ms Hotairchaser!
Thank you so much for your excellent review! We love hosting groups and events, it gives us an opportunity to showcase our new hotel. Cat, our DOS, Evan, our F&B manager, and everyone involved in bringing and executing groups take great pride in their work and strive towards delivering excellent service. The biggest compliment of course would be a return visit on business or leisure!

Kindest regards! Francisco

Been to Cambria Suites - Washington, DC - Convention Center? Share your experiences!