“excellent” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Embassy Suites Washington-Convention Center

You added Embassy Suites Washington-Convention Center to your Saves list
Embassy Suites Washington-Convention Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   900 10th Street Northwest, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
From $99 With Breakfast
Ranked #43 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
A TripAdvisor Member
“excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

This hotel is an excellent choice with many restaurants, shops, etc. within walking distance. City central is quite a distance away but that is what we like about this hotel. We can take the metro (there is one below the hotel) or take a cab into the city and then back to the hotel area in the evening for safe walking and enjoyment of the local entertainment and shops.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
Jersey, Channel Islands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

I like the fact that I usually know what to expect with an Embassy Suites. I appreciate space, good value and a middle of the road 4 star experience. This hotel didn't disappoint. I booked a larger corner suite that wasn't cheap but it did what it was supposed to and we had a good experience, just like putting on a pair of comfortable old slippers.
The room was indeed spacious and gave my wife and myself plenty of room to spread out. Our view was nothing to write home about. I had paid extra for a high floor but was given the 8th floor out of 14 which is hardly high so was refunded the 'special request' fee of 18 dollars for 2 nights which the hotel cheekily put on the bill without honouring the request.
Our view was nothing to write home about. Out of the side window we looked directly into an office with the chap working on his computer- I could almost read the screen! In front of us was a building site which, when it is completed will be attractive with open space and fountains - we just got workmen and diggers unfortunately.
Location is good, a short walk to Ford's Theatre and then the sites of Washington DC. Chinatown with bars and restaurants is about a 10 minutes stroll. We felt safe in the area at all times. There is a bar/restaurant on one of the roads at the back of the hotel with outside seating which was pleasant for an afternoon glass of wine.
Breakfast at the hotel was fine, busy with lots of queues but when you got the food it was of good quality. The evening drinks Reception between 5.30pm and 7.30pm was again fine. Some basic snacks and a wide variety of alcoholic drinks - good gin and tonics but the wine was not good quality. However, it was a pleasant way to start the evening.
All the staff were very friendly and helpful. There is free wifi in foyer area, I sat in the seats just next to the lifts and the wifi reception logging onto their Business wifi worked well. The nearer you are to the business centre the stronger the signal.
All in all, this was a very comfortable stay in a reasonably priced hotel for Washington DC. There were too many children around, why weren't they in school mid week in term time, but it is obvious why this hotel chain appeals to families - if you book an Embassy Suites you expect that, so no complaints. If we were visiting Washington again this would be high on my list.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor but don' pay the special request fee as it seems to make little difference.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Spent Columbus Day weekend. Our suite was large and clean. We had a great view of the Capital and Washington Monument from our room. The breakfast was good and my children loved room service; quick service, warm food...and they got to eat in bed!! In the rush of packing to leave I forgot all of my clothes in the bottom draw. Realizing days later after unpacking and washing everything...I started to reach for clothing that had "disappeared" I called the hotel and Orlando Hernandez in house keeping found all my missing items and shipped them to me the same day! Great service!!! Will definitely return...

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
CharlesHill900, General Manager at Embassy Suites Washington-Convention Center, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Hello Shannon W!

I am so glad we had the chance to spend Columbus day with you and your family! October has been a very different month with the Govt shutdown, but things appear to be back on track and I am hopeful it stays this way even past the next budget deadline.

I am so glad that Orlando was able to assist and we were able to return your clothes. Orlando and the Housekeeping team keep good track of anything left behind and it does not surprise me to read your comments, but I am delighted none the less. Please know I will be sure to share your feedback with the entire team.

Thank you again for letting us be your home away from home and now that all the monuments are back open I think you should plan to come back and visit. I just happen to know a great hotel ready to welcome you back. Until then, travel safely and often!

Charles.Hill@hilton.com
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

The suite was large and nice with a view of the Washington Monument. Nicely located, about 20 minutes walk from the mall. Outstanding free buffet breakfast as compared to other hotels, but there seems to be too many people, we had to wait in line at least 20 minutes before we could help ourselves, although it improved in the following days. There was plenty of seating though. There is no self parking and valet parking was not cheap, but it is in the usual range for central locations (40 something if I remember well). I agree with others that the pool was ok at best, the kids didn't want to go back, that speaks for itself. Another issue is that we booked a rate with internet included, they told us at check-in that we had to accept the fees on every device and they would removed them, of course when the final bill came we had for 150$+ internet fees... They fixed that before we left but this was stressful for no good reason.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Greetings Isa_R_Montreal!

I can't thank you enough for sharing your experience and providing feedback. While I am always excited to see positive reviews, I am very open to constructive feedback so we can improve. I noted your comments about the internet included in the room and the process to have charges removed and already discussed with my Front Office team. I see you stayed in August and we changed our procedure for the very reason you listed in September. I am confident this has been resolved.

Overall, you provided a pretty good synopsis of your stay and I am glad to see we were able to satisfy your needs. We know there are plenty of options in Washington DC, but the value we provide and our service will set us apart.

I am hopeful that travel will bring you back to the DC area and if so, please let us know so we can welcome you back. Until then, travel safely and often!

Charles.Hill@Hilton.com
Woodbridge, VA, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

I would recommend this hotel for either a couple or a business trip! I went with 3 friends for some down time on my 21st birthday. Figured I wanted to relax in a reallllly nice hotel room away from home...but that the evening reception would let me indulge a little :) Was definitely right about that! Breakfast was good, not great except for the made-to-order omelettes! We also used the pool/hot tub and used the business center to print out coupons for a nearby restaraunt...all for free! Overall it was an excellent stay. The only thing that would have made it better is if they catered more toward young people, but we knew it was a business hotel before we got there so no complaints :)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Hi Jessica K!

Thank you for your great review and for choosing our hotel among all the great properties here in DC. We certainly work hard to provide a great experience and it is always nice to hear from a satisfied guest.

I will say that traditionally we have more business professionals during the week as that is generally the case throughout the city, but the weekend is open to families, couples, any another other type of leisure traveler. What we offer is pretty standard all the time in terms of our complimentary cooked-to-order breakfast, complimentary evening reception and all suite hotel, but our location put us close to anything you might want to go out and experience.

I am delighted we were able to help you celebrate your 21st birthday and hope we can welcome you back for 22 and beyond. Until then, travel safely and often.

Charles.Hill@hilton.com
minneapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

My husband had a conference at the nearby Convention Center and I got to tag along. This hotel is within walking distance of some trendy restaurants, bars and museums in the Penn Quarter neighborhood (which includes Chinatown). The Metro is a few blocks away. The breakfast buffet was pretty good as was the Manager's evening social with snacks and free drinks. There's a small laundry facility in the basement for guests' use. Staff was friendly and attentive and the room was comfy. No complaints.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Newtown, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We were in Washington for a Medical Convention at the Convention Center and the location was perfect, only about 1 and a half blocks away. Unfortunately we were there while all the "sights" were closed down due to the government shutdown and it rained torrentially most of the week, on days we left the umbrellas in the car the doorman loaned us a very nice one.

The Hotel staff was amazing....Polite, considerate and helpful whenever we needed them. I was upset to find that I had booked a smoking room and when we checked in they had just changed their policy to a totally non smoking facility. I think a phone call or email notifying me of the change would have been in order, afterall how many guests would they have had to notify that particular week??

Our first room was like a tomb...BEWARE do not accept an even numbered room as the only window is in the bedroom and that faces a brick wall to another building...very claustophobic. We could not get any wifi or Cell reception in that room and when we called the front desk they immediately moved us to a Hilton Honor Suite with lots of windows, a true living room, much bigger bathroom and lovely bedroom...what a difference!!! I guess it helps to be a Hilton Honors member when you least expect it. I would have died of claustrophobia in that first room.

The complimentary breakfast was a nice touch as well as the complimentary cocktail and snacks at 5:30 everyday. The only real "downers" were the cost of Wifi in the room and the outrageous price for Valet Parking which was close to $50 a night when you add in all the taxes and the tip to the driver who brought the car to the front, and this is why I only give this hotel a 4 rating.

I found the room to be VERY quiet and the soudproofing was excellent. I slept like a baby in the extra comfy bed and woke up to my own cup of coffee made in the room. I wish they would put Keurig type coffee makers, but I guess that will come with time. There are not many decent restaurants close by but there is a Starbucks across the street.

Room Tip: If you want to see out be sure to ask for an EVEN numbered room
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
CharlesHill900, General Manager at Embassy Suites Washington-Convention Center, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Hello wmargules!

Thank you for coming to Washington DC despite the Government shutdown. It sounds like you did not have much choice due to the medical conference, but we were glad to have you none the less.

What great comments about the staff! I can't thank you enough for sharing these. We pride ourselves in taking care of our guests and being ambassadors to this city. It would appear we lived up to your expectations and that is what it is all about. I do apologize about not having a smoking room for you. We did convert to a 100% non-smoking hotel in late August and made a point to reach out to all guests that booked smoking rooms. If your reservation was booked through a housing bureau for the conference, it might not have been relayed that you expected a smoking suite. Excuses aside, I am sorry for the inconvenience.

While I understand it was work that brought you to DC, the sites all opened back up just today and we would be glad to have you back so you could get out and experience the city a little. Should the opportunity arise, I am hopeful we could be your host. Until then, travel safely and often.

Charles.Hill@Hilton.com

Been to Embassy Suites Washington-Convention Center? Share your experiences!