“Cellphone dead spot but free happy hour , free full breakfast and excellent service and rooms make up for it .” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Embassy Suites by Hilton Washington-Convention Center

You added Embassy Suites by Hilton Washington-Convention Center to your Saves list
Embassy Suites by Hilton Washington-Convention Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   900 10th Street Northwest, Washington DC, DC 20001   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
From $229 With Breakfast
Ranked #35 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
Great Falls, Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

Stayed with large family group for 3 nights in multiple rooms at a great rate. The 2 hour family friendly happy hour in the 2 story managers reception area was a fun way to gather and share days stories and free drinks ( beer, wine, cocktails, veggies , cheese, crackers etc) before going out to expensive DC restaurants. The rooms were excellent and clean. The beds were very comfortable. The staff was friendly and helpful. The Free breakfast was extensive. anything you want including an omelette grill and pancakes made to order.
The only negative is the lack of cell coverage in the rooms. We use Verizon and calls were dropped or didn't go through at all. If this gets addressed I would give it a 5 star rating. Now it's a 4.75.

• Stayed December 2012
DDelRusso, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Washington-Convention Center, responded to this review, December 25, 2012
Dear bigskytraveler59,

Thank you for your detailed and positive review. I am very happy to read that you found our hotel to be clean and enjoyed our breakfast and happy hour. I apologize about the spotty cell phone reception. We have struggled with this issue and not found any solutions that do not involve spending significant sums of money unfortunately. Cell phone reception in the bedroom near the windows is usually fine – but inside the center of the building (living room area of most suites) the signal can be weak. We know that many guests depend on their cell phones to conduct business. If this is a very important concern for you as well, kindly advise the front desk upon check-in, and we will do our best to assign you to a suite at the end of the hallway where reception is sometimes better.

Once again, thank you for your 4.75 rating and I hope that we will see you in DC again soon!

david.del.russo@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
Marietta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

This hotel will become the first one I try to book on my frequent trips to the DC area. It was a beautiful room and the staff was very attentive. C.J. Tibung in Guest Services went above and beyond on to undo a mistake I had made when checking out. He was just one of the employees who gave their best to ensure I had a great stay. Probably the first time I have had that level of service in the DC area.
Cudos to C.J. et al.

Dear RBS324,

I love your review. Its goes to show that having beautiful rooms is certainly important, but it is the friendly and attentive service that our people provide that really sets us apart. I am very happy to read that C.J. went above and beyond to help you. We know you have many hotels to choose from – so we work hard to make sure you have no reason to look anywhere else.

Thank you again for your great review, and we look forward to the pleasure of your company again soon!

Kansas City, MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Had a great experience with the service folks in the hotel over a two day stay in early December, 2012. The room, however, was a bit dated and did not match the experience I have had with most Embassy Suites hotels. For this one, the suite experience was little more than the extra room with a mini fridge and microwave stuck in a cabinet. If you are traveling with family and desire to stock significant supplies to avoid the frequent average restaurants with exorbitant costs, this wont do it. The Residence in the Federal District would better suit your needs. On the other hand, this one is better located to most of the nightlife.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear kctom,

Thank you for your positive review. I am very happy to see that you enjoyed our service – but also sorry to see that you found our property to be dated. We opened in November of 2005, and just completed a $7M renovation of all of our suites in April 2012. Most of our guests tell us that we are “a high end Embassy Suites.” If you are ever back in Washington, DC please email me at the address below so I can personally inspect your accommodations before you check-in.

Thanks again for the positive review overall, and I am glad you enjoyed our central location. I hope you will come back and see us again!

Culpeper, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

My son and I stayed at the hotel for the recent Washington Redskins Monday night football game. Although the game was great, Tuesday morning, my son woke up with the flu. Housekeeper Delidia Austin provided us with a plastic bucket and wash cloths to make the trip home easier. I also want to thank Housekeeping Manager, Jack Williams, for authorizing Ms. Austin to give us the items.
Truly outstanding service and caring staff.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear JamesH3169,

Thank you so much for posting your review. I sorry to hear that your son was not feeling well - - but very happy to hear that Delitia and Jack were able to provide some comfort for the trip home. I say it all the time – our Housekeeping Department really is the “heart of the hotel.” Our Housekeeping team takes great pride in not only providing a clean facility- but also providing genuine hospitality in whatever way we can. I hope you son is feeling better, and please come back and stay with us again soon!

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

I stay here not only because it is close to the convention center but also each time I go I have a great experience. The staff and thee accomodations are great and the breakfast is superb! this is a full made to order breakfast which is a great start to any day.
I stayed this week for 2 nights and on the first morning, the water did not warm up for my shower. I ran it for awhile and then called the frontdesk. One of the boilers had gone out and they requested that I run it a little longer. After 15 minutes the water warmed. For my inconveninece they provided a discount on my room for the night, bought me dinner and allowed a late checkout. First class people and hotel. Barbara at the front desk really made my stay. She is an asset to the team and hope to see her on my next trip back.

Room Tip: all rooms have a seperate bedroom and living space which is ideal. I have never stayed in a room th...
Dear gilletsm,

It sounds like you stay with us on a regular basis. Thank you for your business and thank you for your positive review. We did have trouble with one on our hot water boilers a couple weeks ago. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience- but am happy to report that the issue was fixed after just one day. Thanks also for your kind words about Barbara at the front desk. She is one of our best, and I am so very happy to hear that she took good care of you.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to post your review, and I hope that we will see you again in DC very soon!

Sincerely

petaluma, california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Little did I know, when I wrote my original review of Embassy Suites a year ago that my words -- "I have no doubt if I'd come down with a cold, I would have gotten chicken soup" -- would be so prophetic. I arrived for a week's stay with a streaming, miserable, awful cold. When the light knock came with the word "Housekeeping," I wadded up my latest soggy tissue, shuffled to the door and opened it. There stood Hattie.
"Honey" she said anxiously, looking at my fistful of tissues, red nose and watery eyes. "You okay?"
"No," I wailed. "I'm so sick."
Well, she simply Took Over. Before I knew it, I was cuddled up with a cup of tea and a fresh box of tissues while she bustled off to find me -- what else? -- chicken soup. More tea, with lemon, was provided. She made sure I was warm, comfortable and had everything I needed, gave me a big hug and came back to see how I was doing before she left for the day.
It was friendly, motherly, loving treatment at a time when I most needed it. She checked at least twice a day, even when I was improved enough to get out and enjoy the city. And, no surprise, she left the room spotless.
The entire staff treated me with such warmth. What a pleasure to be greeted with smiles, friendly chat and genuine goodwill wherever I walked, and to see they were as pleasant to all guests, it wasn't just my bright and sparkling (if slightly congested) personality.
My husband and I loved the room as well: spacious comfortable and bright.
The moral: if you have to be sick away from home, I recommend 711. And, of course, there's my guardian angel, Hattie.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
CharlesHill900, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Washington-Convention Center, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
Hello goodegg2004!

Truly an amazing review! While we do not do things for the recognition, I simply love it when one of our team members makes such an impact that one of our guests goes so far as to write a letter or post a review on Trip Advisor.

Hattie is an awesome team member that has been with the hotel since we opened in late 2005. She is a warm and empathetic person who genuinely cares about her fellow team members and her guests. While the story you shared proves how special she it, I am not surprised. I hope that some of her comfort and care helped nurse you back to health and that you are feeling better. I can't wait to share your posting with our entire staff and make sure that Hattie receives some positive recognition.

Since it sounds like this was your second trip to our hotel, just wait and see what we do for #3! :)

Hope to see you back soon!

Best Regards,
Charles Hill
Charles.Hill@Hilton.com
Raleigh, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

The only reason I stay at this hotel is for the conference center and so that I don't have to walk from a neighboring hotel to get to my conferences. If the WiFi and cell service worked, it'd be a win! Overall, it's a nice hotel. A few things just knocked it down. It may sound like I'm nitpicking. But I feel in letting you know about everything I've seen that might make a difference to you.

The staff have always been friendly every time I've been here. But the service and amenities seem to be going downhill.

What good is WiFi access in a business catered hotel if you can't access it? Simply put: the WiFi signal is only good near the front door of the suite. So if you want to use WiFi near the bedroom, forget it. I was assured that routers are placed every 15 feet in the hallway, but that's of little comfort since across the hall from me is nothing but an empty ceiling space that looks down onto the main lobby five floors down. I really don't understand, as well, why I have to purchase WiFi that is included FREE with my package only to be reimbursed at check out.... that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. I suppose it wouldn't be nearly such an issue if my companions and I could actually get on with one of our five devices.

Speaking of signal strength... there's no cell phone reception either. if you're lucky enough to get a signal anywhere other than the main lobby, you'll have to be quick to avoid 'breaking up.'

There's hardly any WiFi or phone signal in the downstairs conference center, either. Again, for a hotel that caters to the business customer, these things should be no brainers. I brought my entire company here with the expectation that we can manage our business via either phones or WiFi. So far, we've been stuck with no way to contact our customers unless we go to the main lobby, find a computer in the business center, or go outside to make a phone call. Ridiculous!

Overall, we've always been pleased with the rooms. This particular room, 514, has almost no air flow to the bedroom and absolutely no airflow into the bathroom. So keep the shower temperature down low unless you want to be in a steam room. There's so much moisture in that bathroom that the satin nickel door hinges and other hardware look like some rusted piece of maritime history pulled from the bottom of the ocean.

Did I mention that the air conditioning has been set to 60 since we got here three days ago but that the temperature has only gotten down to 74? I guess it's broken.

Something's wrong with the TV in the living room area. It's really dark. I enjoy the crayon all over the corner table, too. Looks like a daycare was held here for a while.

Power plugs are hard to find in the bedroom, but plentiful elsewhere.

I'm not too thrilled that office workers in the building just outside our window get to peek inside our room. We'd like to let natural light inside, but it just feels weird with them watching us.

Housekeeping was very regular and acceptable. A number of minor items got missed, however, such as clean cups and fresh towels to replace the soggy ones on the floor. They did take the throw from one of the beds and never replaced it......

Bruno has always managed to check us in each time we have stayed here. He is by far one of the most pleasant and enjoyable people I have ever met.

The pull out sofa is VERY comfortable... and I dare say almost more comfortable than the beds. The pillows go VERY flat VERY quickly... so bring your own if you don't want any neck pain.

The chairs are very comfy.

The morning breakfast is awesome and is certainly worthy of a $10 price tag. Many packages get this breakfast free. The staff working the breakfast line kind of hover around you to take your plates and trays away, so it sometimes feels like there are a bunch of buzzards flying overhead. There was one staff member that just acted a little 'weird' to us, all the way down to his shirt always being tucked in the front and completely untucked in the back. Everyone is certainly nice and pleasant.

The Finn and Porter restaurant is something that should likely be avoided altogether. A number of review sites place it only so so. I've eaten there a few times now, but it's not worth the hefty price tag. The service is poor and the food is often mediocre at best. Something always just tastes a little 'off.' The baked mac and cheese dish wasn't even warm and the cheese not even melted. Be cautious at the refill fee on the soft drinks. You get great quality soft drinks... none of that watered down stuff.... but you're also paying about $3 each. It's much easier to go down to McDonald's.

Be warned that a lot of stores, such as CVS, close early around here and many are not open on the weekend. Bring some 2 liters, even if you have to go to CVS. The soda machines run $2 for a 20oz coke product, which is often sold out.

We've found that a great alternative to the nearly $50 per day parking (outrageous, isn't it?) is to drive in from nearby and park at one of the Metro stations with Park and Ride and then take the metro for about $3. Metro parking is only $4 per day and they only collect during the day. So nights and weekends you just drive out. On this trip, however, there was noone there all week to give tickets or take tickets, so we didn't pay a thing to park and took the train. Instead of paying nearly $150 for valet parking for three days... we each paid $3 each way for a train ticket, costing us $18 total. That's a huge savings for anyone on a budget!

If you DO valet park a car, I recommend taking a photo or video of your car before you hand off your keys. On a previous visit, I needed an item from my car and a valet walked me down to the garage. I saw valets speeding through the tight confined deck with almost no care or concern. Nothing ever happened to my car, but there's always that possibility. It'd be hard for them to fight a picture or video of your car in front of the hotel at check in with no damage followed by a comparison with damage when you pick it up. If there is damage, don't pull away because they put out in the fine print that they are not liable if you move the car once it's been brought up.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Greetings wombatmatty!

I must say this is perhaps one of the most through reviews I have received on Trip Advisor. I thank you for taking all the time and effort to document your experience.

While I could draft what would probably equate to a short novel responding to each comment, I will try and address just and see if perhaps we can connect to discuss your concerns further and see if I can help rectify any issues.

The biggest issue as indicated in your title seems to be related to wifi service. I must say this is the first I have heard about getting coverage on the guest floors. We do have wireless access points installed strategically in order to cover every suite on the guest floors. I see you were in suite 514 so I will have our Engineering department take one of our laptops up and do some tests and make some adjustments as necessary. We do provide complimentary coverage in our lobby and restaurant as well. Coverage in the meeting rooms is not complimentary which is probably what caused issues when attending a meeting. If wireless was not opened up, you were probably feeding off a weaker signal from the lobby which caused issues staying connected.

I really appreciate all of your feedback, even the constructive criticism. If we don't hear about the concerns, we can fix them. With that said, you had a number of very positive mentions of our service and staff. I will make sure that Bruno and our team gets to see your comments and they are recognized.

As mentioned earlier, I would be very happy to discuss your review and concerns when you have time. As I noted, all feedback is good to hear even if it is not glowing. We are all about making things right and I am hopeful we have that opportunity and the chance to welcome you back for a better experience next time.

Thank you again and I look forward to speaking with you!

Best Regards,