“An unabashed love letter” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Embassy Suites Washington-Convention Center

You added Embassy Suites Washington-Convention Center to your Saves list
Embassy Suites Washington-Convention Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   900 10th Street Northwest, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
From $99 With Breakfast
Ranked #42 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
petaluma, california
“An unabashed love letter”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Little did I know, when I wrote my original review of Embassy Suites a year ago that my words -- "I have no doubt if I'd come down with a cold, I would have gotten chicken soup" -- would be so prophetic. I arrived for a week's stay with a streaming, miserable, awful cold. When the light knock came with the word "Housekeeping," I wadded up my latest soggy tissue, shuffled to the door and opened it. There stood Hattie.
"Honey" she said anxiously, looking at my fistful of tissues, red nose and watery eyes. "You okay?"
"No," I wailed. "I'm so sick."
Well, she simply Took Over. Before I knew it, I was cuddled up with a cup of tea and a fresh box of tissues while she bustled off to find me -- what else? -- chicken soup. More tea, with lemon, was provided. She made sure I was warm, comfortable and had everything I needed, gave me a big hug and came back to see how I was doing before she left for the day.
It was friendly, motherly, loving treatment at a time when I most needed it. She checked at least twice a day, even when I was improved enough to get out and enjoy the city. And, no surprise, she left the room spotless.
The entire staff treated me with such warmth. What a pleasure to be greeted with smiles, friendly chat and genuine goodwill wherever I walked, and to see they were as pleasant to all guests, it wasn't just my bright and sparkling (if slightly congested) personality.
My husband and I loved the room as well: spacious comfortable and bright.
The moral: if you have to be sick away from home, I recommend 711. And, of course, there's my guardian angel, Hattie.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
CharlesHill900, Manager at Embassy Suites Washington-Convention Center, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
Hello goodegg2004!

Truly an amazing review! While we do not do things for the recognition, I simply love it when one of our team members makes such an impact that one of our guests goes so far as to write a letter or post a review on Trip Advisor.

Hattie is an awesome team member that has been with the hotel since we opened in late 2005. She is a warm and empathetic person who genuinely cares about her fellow team members and her guests. While the story you shared proves how special she it, I am not surprised. I hope that some of her comfort and care helped nurse you back to health and that you are feeling better. I can't wait to share your posting with our entire staff and make sure that Hattie receives some positive recognition.

Since it sounds like this was your second trip to our hotel, just wait and see what we do for #3! :)

Hope to see you back soon!

Charles.Hill@Hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
Raleigh, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

The only reason I stay at this hotel is for the conference center and so that I don't have to walk from a neighboring hotel to get to my conferences. If the WiFi and cell service worked, it'd be a win! Overall, it's a nice hotel. A few things just knocked it down. It may sound like I'm nitpicking. But I feel in letting you know about everything I've seen that might make a difference to you.

The staff have always been friendly every time I've been here. But the service and amenities seem to be going downhill.

What good is WiFi access in a business catered hotel if you can't access it? Simply put: the WiFi signal is only good near the front door of the suite. So if you want to use WiFi near the bedroom, forget it. I was assured that routers are placed every 15 feet in the hallway, but that's of little comfort since across the hall from me is nothing but an empty ceiling space that looks down onto the main lobby five floors down. I really don't understand, as well, why I have to purchase WiFi that is included FREE with my package only to be reimbursed at check out.... that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. I suppose it wouldn't be nearly such an issue if my companions and I could actually get on with one of our five devices.

Speaking of signal strength... there's no cell phone reception either. if you're lucky enough to get a signal anywhere other than the main lobby, you'll have to be quick to avoid 'breaking up.'

There's hardly any WiFi or phone signal in the downstairs conference center, either. Again, for a hotel that caters to the business customer, these things should be no brainers. I brought my entire company here with the expectation that we can manage our business via either phones or WiFi. So far, we've been stuck with no way to contact our customers unless we go to the main lobby, find a computer in the business center, or go outside to make a phone call. Ridiculous!

Overall, we've always been pleased with the rooms. This particular room, 514, has almost no air flow to the bedroom and absolutely no airflow into the bathroom. So keep the shower temperature down low unless you want to be in a steam room. There's so much moisture in that bathroom that the satin nickel door hinges and other hardware look like some rusted piece of maritime history pulled from the bottom of the ocean.

Did I mention that the air conditioning has been set to 60 since we got here three days ago but that the temperature has only gotten down to 74? I guess it's broken.

Something's wrong with the TV in the living room area. It's really dark. I enjoy the crayon all over the corner table, too. Looks like a daycare was held here for a while.

Power plugs are hard to find in the bedroom, but plentiful elsewhere.

I'm not too thrilled that office workers in the building just outside our window get to peek inside our room. We'd like to let natural light inside, but it just feels weird with them watching us.

Housekeeping was very regular and acceptable. A number of minor items got missed, however, such as clean cups and fresh towels to replace the soggy ones on the floor. They did take the throw from one of the beds and never replaced it......

Bruno has always managed to check us in each time we have stayed here. He is by far one of the most pleasant and enjoyable people I have ever met.

The pull out sofa is VERY comfortable... and I dare say almost more comfortable than the beds. The pillows go VERY flat VERY quickly... so bring your own if you don't want any neck pain.

The chairs are very comfy.

The morning breakfast is awesome and is certainly worthy of a $10 price tag. Many packages get this breakfast free. The staff working the breakfast line kind of hover around you to take your plates and trays away, so it sometimes feels like there are a bunch of buzzards flying overhead. There was one staff member that just acted a little 'weird' to us, all the way down to his shirt always being tucked in the front and completely untucked in the back. Everyone is certainly nice and pleasant.

The Finn and Porter restaurant is something that should likely be avoided altogether. A number of review sites place it only so so. I've eaten there a few times now, but it's not worth the hefty price tag. The service is poor and the food is often mediocre at best. Something always just tastes a little 'off.' The baked mac and cheese dish wasn't even warm and the cheese not even melted. Be cautious at the refill fee on the soft drinks. You get great quality soft drinks... none of that watered down stuff.... but you're also paying about $3 each. It's much easier to go down to McDonald's.

Be warned that a lot of stores, such as CVS, close early around here and many are not open on the weekend. Bring some 2 liters, even if you have to go to CVS. The soda machines run $2 for a 20oz coke product, which is often sold out.

We've found that a great alternative to the nearly $50 per day parking (outrageous, isn't it?) is to drive in from nearby and park at one of the Metro stations with Park and Ride and then take the metro for about $3. Metro parking is only $4 per day and they only collect during the day. So nights and weekends you just drive out. On this trip, however, there was noone there all week to give tickets or take tickets, so we didn't pay a thing to park and took the train. Instead of paying nearly $150 for valet parking for three days... we each paid $3 each way for a train ticket, costing us $18 total. That's a huge savings for anyone on a budget!

If you DO valet park a car, I recommend taking a photo or video of your car before you hand off your keys. On a previous visit, I needed an item from my car and a valet walked me down to the garage. I saw valets speeding through the tight confined deck with almost no care or concern. Nothing ever happened to my car, but there's always that possibility. It'd be hard for them to fight a picture or video of your car in front of the hotel at check in with no damage followed by a comparison with damage when you pick it up. If there is damage, don't pull away because they put out in the fine print that they are not liable if you move the car once it's been brought up.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Greetings wombatmatty!

I must say this is perhaps one of the most through reviews I have received on Trip Advisor. I thank you for taking all the time and effort to document your experience.

While I could draft what would probably equate to a short novel responding to each comment, I will try and address just and see if perhaps we can connect to discuss your concerns further and see if I can help rectify any issues.

The biggest issue as indicated in your title seems to be related to wifi service. I must say this is the first I have heard about getting coverage on the guest floors. We do have wireless access points installed strategically in order to cover every suite on the guest floors. I see you were in suite 514 so I will have our Engineering department take one of our laptops up and do some tests and make some adjustments as necessary. We do provide complimentary coverage in our lobby and restaurant as well. Coverage in the meeting rooms is not complimentary which is probably what caused issues when attending a meeting. If wireless was not opened up, you were probably feeding off a weaker signal from the lobby which caused issues staying connected.

I really appreciate all of your feedback, even the constructive criticism. If we don't hear about the concerns, we can fix them. With that said, you had a number of very positive mentions of our service and staff. I will make sure that Bruno and our team gets to see your comments and they are recognized.

As mentioned earlier, I would be very happy to discuss your review and concerns when you have time. As I noted, all feedback is good to hear even if it is not glowing. We are all about making things right and I am hopeful we have that opportunity and the chance to welcome you back for a better experience next time.

Thank you again and I look forward to speaking with you!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for Thanksgiving & enjoyed my stay. I reserved a room at the wrong location. Adonna, at the front desk, was so very patient and helpful. She took care of cancelling my initial reservation & ensured I had a suite at that hotel's location, all with a great smile.

The rest of the front desk staff made me feel as if I were the only guest. Adonna & Joseph Stokes took time to talk with me about the happy hour, loved it, the pool that had great hours, 5 am - midnight & the free breakfast. I loved being on the 14th floor & never felt slighted when I asked for something in my suite.

There were two other gentlemen very much worth mentioning; Terry, one of the staff members, who told me all about the great menu for dinner and made sure he made himself available to assist me. The other gentleman, Robby, was so sweet and did everything to make sure I was satisfied with how he resolved a minor problem.

I am definitely going to stay at this particular location again. I travel alot with my daughters, and this hotel was definitely kid friendly. The suite was large enough, clean and the staff didn't hesitate when I asked for anything to make my stay even better.

The friendly, professional staff will make sure that you are satisfied.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Hi Wendy J!

Thank you so much for staying with us during Thanksgiving. I am very excited to share your review with our entire team and thank them for making such an impact on your stay. From Adonna to Joseph to Robby and even Terry, I am thankful for the team we have and your comments help share this with the entire Trip Advisor community.

I truly hope that you and your daughters will find your way back down in DC and let us welcome you back again. Our entire team will be ready to greet you upon your return

North Lake, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We went over thanksgiving weekend and were very impressed by:

- the staff; everyone was very friendly. Impressed us from when we checked in to when we left. Very accomodating and detail oriented even given how busy they were.
- Breakfast. Real food, variety and relatively quick given that they were full with a lot of families.
- Clean, comfortable rooms - simple and just what we needed.
- The restaurant Finn and Porter I believe had excellent food. We tend to not dine in the restaurant of the hotel we stay in but somehow we ended up there three times...
- It was very quiet in our room. We were 12th floor, 1203 I believe, and it was surprising given that it was completely full with a lot of families.

We travel quite a bit individually and as a family and this was a great place for us. They must have a solid management team to pull this off along with a great staff.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Hello DanandChristine!

I am so glad to see that we had the chance to be your home away from home while traveling during the Thanksgiving season. Not only that, but from your review you and your family had a great experience and that is what it is all about. Your feedback is valued as we appreciate any comments received, even constructive criticism.

One comment that stands out in particular is your reference to our restaurant Finn & Porter. Your comments are especially valuable since we have a new Italian menu in place that has been launched after extensive research and testing. The feedback has been positive to date so yours seem to validate this trend. Not only that, but we always do a really great Thanksgiving menu as well.

I know that North Lake, Wisconsin is not just around the corner, but I am hopeful that you and your family will be able to make another trip out to DC so we can play host again. Should you need any assistance with reservation, don't hesitate to reach out to me directly. Until then, travel safely and often!

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

We were able to walk to the museums, shopping and restaurants from the hotel. For a family of four, the king suite was perfect. The breakfast included made-to-order omelettes with fresh ingredients. Depending on the time of morning, there could be a long line; but there were seceral different options (oatmeal, cild cereal, bagels, yogurt and fresh fruit) when we were in a hurry. The pool was a plus, particularly in the mornings when it was deserted. Drawbacks included cost of wifi (which is free in the lobby) and parking ($39!).

• Stayed November 2012
Greetings familyb1907!

I am so glad we had the opportunity to be a part of your recent trip to Washington DC. It seems that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and all the extras we have to offer such as our complimentary cooked-to-order breakfast. It really is a great perk, especially if you are traveling with a family and there are multiple mouths to feed.

I can certainly understand your feedback about the cost of wifi and parking. As you mentioned, we do provide complimentary wifi in our lobby and restaurant as well as a total of 12 computers that are complimentary for use including printing. Regarding parking, we have made a very conscious effort to stay lower on the price scale for hotels around us because we know this is not a cost that many travelers are accustomed to seeing.

Again, thank you for taking time to post your experience and I am hopeful you will come back and see us again. We would love to welcome you back!

Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Embassy Suites in general is an excellent choice because of the size of the rooms, the cooked-to-order breakfast, and the general quality of the rooms/hotel. The Embassy Suites - Convention Center is ideally located in the heart of EVERYTHING! Updated everything, modern facilities, wonderful staff, and great food.

The layout of Embassy Suites are fairly consistent and this one is not really in the mold of the open atrium in the middle of the hotel. The layout is more like most traditional hotels. The restaurant is a bit small, but the breakfast is wonderful as usual.

HIGHLY recommend if you are in town for business, but with kids / family - may not be as ideal.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Hi WindyCityFinest!

You seem to be a real fan of Embassy Suites and someone who has stayed in their fair share when traveling. With that experience, it is great to see your postive comments about our property. We are not your typical Embassy Suites, but that is not a bad thing. Our unique layout is going to become more typical as time goes on and it lends itself to a city location. Our suites are still over 500 sq ft, our complimentary breakfast is still stocked with everything you could possibly want and our Managers Reception is festive and warm. All of this at one of the best locations in all of Washington DC.

You sound like someone who travels often and I am hopeful that you will have a need to come back to DC and look us up. We would be delighted to welcome you back!

Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

The manager was extremely helpful and comped us to room service dinner when my daughter had a problem with the fabric on the sleep sofa . Terrific location and very friendly staff. We were attending a function at the convention center which we walked over to. It took no more than three to five minutes to make the walk at a very leisurely pace

• Stayed November 2012
Greetings Soccermotha,

What a great review! Thank you for sharing your comments and experience on Trip Advisor. I am glad to see that one of our Managers was able to correct an issue and make it up to you and your daughter. One thing we know is that problems will come up, but it is all about how we handle them and make them right for our guests.

Your terrific posting is very much appreciated and please know I will share this with our Management and entire staff. We just love it when a guest leaves happy.

I hope we have the chance to be your home away from home again should travels bring you back to DC.

Charles.Hill@Hilton.com

Been to Embassy Suites Washington-Convention Center? Share your experiences!