“A very smart B&B” 4 of 5 stars
Review of William Lewis House

You added William Lewis House to your Saves list
William Lewis House
2.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   1309 R Street NW, Washington DC, DC (Logan Circle/ Shaw)   |
Ranked #16 of 33 Washington DC B&B and Inns
Putney
“A very smart B&B”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

This is a very upscale B&B in a good location on a residential street, centrally located. Actually, it is two Victorian houses joined by a walkway at the back, with a lovely period atmosphere maintained in both. I visited in Winter, but I'd love to visit again in Summer.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
wlewishous, Owner at William Lewis House, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Please hurry back. We are having a great Summer!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
South Chesterfield, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Just returned from a 4 day vacation. We stayed at the William Lewis House bed & breakfast and it our trip from good to perfect! The beds were comfortable and the rooms were super quiet. The Saturday and Sunday breakfasts were delicious and the company was thoroughly enjoyable. The hot tub was a perfect way to relax our aching legs after long days of walking around DC. The location was very close to tons of restaurants, only a short stroll from the metro and in a nice neighborhood. Whatever we felt like doing, we could do it. The sitting room in the 1309 house was perfect for watching TV or reading a quiet book undisturbed. Enjoyable conversation, snacks & wine could always be found in the common room in the other house. There was plenty of outdoor seating on the porches as well as an enclosed porch for relaxing outside when the weather was cold. The staff there was friendly without being intrusive and it truly felt we were staying with good friends or family. I highly recommend taking advantage of the on-site parking...it was well worth the cost! I cannot think of single thing that could be improved upon and I will never, ever stay anywhere else when I visit DC!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
wlewishous, Owner at William Lewis House, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
I am happy we met our goal! Thank you for your feedback. Hurry back to see us.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights which came to nearly $240. Its was a bit pricey for a box room and i was sharing a bath room, but having said that it is a charming bed and breakfast with a most gracious and welcoming host and a very friendly dog. The spread at breakfast is the finest i've ever seen and didn't want to leave the breakfast table given what was on offer. As stated, i was in a box room, so it was small, immaculately clean, as was the bathroom. About a 10-15 min walk to the National Mall and there are some nice restaurants in nearby Georgetown to chose from in the evenings. I would stay here again, but only after i've put an extra few dollars aside, and even then, it'll probably be for the box room.

• Stayed October 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

I'm giving this B&B 5 stars even though there were a couple of things that people should be aware of when making reservations. I stayed 2 nights in October 23012. On this down side, there is no elevator and the room I rented (a single) was small. I think most of the other rooms are more spacious. Also, there appears to be no manager between the owner and cleaning staff. Thus, when I arrived at my scheduled time, I had to ring repeatedly for the cleaning person to let me in (the owner appears to work evenings).

However, the place is a real fine. It is actually two buildings linked in the back through a common deck. There is a lot of attention to the details of guest comfort including beautiful, warm, home-like decoration. An espresso machine is available all day and wine is served in the late afternoon. The breakfast selection is very nice, including home-made pastries. Bed was very comfortable and things are kept exceptionally clean, including the nicely renovated bathrooms. The staff are pleasant and the place is very friendly. The location is excellent including close proximity to a Whole Foods. The metro station is within walking distance and the neighborhood seems safe and is very pleasant. I highly recommend this B&B, particularly given the reasonable cost.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Clarksburg, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I needed to go overnight to DC and wanted some place near the metro. I looked around and by far this place had the best reviews and was the cheapest by far that was close to any metro. It game up to about 180 after taxes. My fiancee and I took the U st. Metro make sure you get out on the side with the Jazz Mural as you walk to the escalator on to the St. Its only a few blocks/ Take the 1st left out of the metro don't need to cross walk to you hit R St. cross and it will be a few houses down. When we go to the house there are little lock box to get your key to come in. There was someone there to greet us as we walked through the door. We had to drop our things off early and they told us to go ahead up the room was ready! We had the 1309 queen room on the 2nd floor. The decor was nice with books new and old laying around. It had been a stressful day and headed back to the hotel pretty early we got there around 8:30 and couldn't believe how quiet it was. The floor was creaky as all old houses are but everyone was quite as possible. Be careful the wood floors are SLICK! The bathroom was awesome I loved the claw foot tub but said not to use which sort of bummed me out but they do have a hot tub so I couldn't complain. The outdoor area in the back is very pretty had some grapes growing which was neat. Met a few people staying there during breakfast which was way more than expected. The neighborhood its self was so quite I forgot I was in DC! It was the cheapest place near a metro station. There were a few cons No eating in the rooms, even though I did eat some baby carrots I would have had to go down stairs and I was really tired. We loved the dog she was so cute but she is a little playful if she likes you! The shared bathroom was fine that night but in the morning it smelled bad after someone took a shower. Breakfast was AMAZING. It honestly made me want to stay there forever! I loved how simple everything was easy in easy out. wasn't bothered by anyone or anything. WOULD LOVE TO STAY AGAIN !!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, exile
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

To get the negatives quickly out of the way, it's two old buildings (1890's?) with a lot of charm but 3rd floor rooms with no elevator, and bathrooms that can be kind of a tight squeeze. No locks on the rooms, which doesn't bother me but might bother some, and if you're allergic to dogs this would be a bad choice. But it's two cool buildings in a really cool neighborhood, 3 blocks to the metro and near great restaurants and theaters. Dave has a day job, but is almost always there in the morning to serve an excellent breakfast, sometimes a hot breakfast although cold is all that's promisded. And he's usually there at night when the vino comes out. Dave does IT work so you know the wifi will be up. The rates are reasonable. And Maddy and I have become friends. She doesn't bother most of the guests - she'll just look at you hopefully and see if you respond. But I've stayed there a few times and she knows I'll respond, so my pockets get sniffed for treats and the pull toy falls at my feet. If you like dogs she's really cool, and if you don't she'll ignore you.

Room Tip: no elevators, so avoid 3 if you have a lot of luggage.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Flemington, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

We stayed three nights and were very comfortable. You could see that the innkeeper made every effort to provide all the comforts we needed, from a jar of cookies to a welcoming glass of wine provided by a chilled help-yourself decanter. The inn was actually two side-by-side houses with an outside deck giving access to the back doors, and this provided a sense of seclusion for us because our half was separate from the dining room/sitting room area. On weekends we were provided with a delicious, expansive home-cooked breakfast, and the continental breakfast on weekdays was much more than your standare fare. We were able to reserve a parking space in the back, safe inside a rolling garage door. It was great to leave the car and walk to the Smithsonian. We will certainly be back.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to William Lewis House? Share your experiences!