“Great alternative to chain hotels in Dupont Circle” 5 of 5 stars
Review of American Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Washington DC
American Guest House
2005 Columbia Rd NW, Washington DC, DC 20009 (Dupont Circle)   |
Ranked #11 of 49 Washington DC B&B and Inns
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great alternative to chain hotels in Dupont Circle”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

Really enjoyed staying at the B&B while at a conference in the Hilton (right around the corner). I enjoyed the unique details of this B&B over another boring conference center. The breakfast was really delicious and convenient and the rooms were well stocked with the amenities you'd expect at a hotel.

The street noise was substantial in my room facing the street on the second floor (not too much you can do about that in DC). You may want to ask about a room at the back or just bring ear plugs.

Room Tip: Higher floors or rooms at the back of the building may be quieter.

382 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Bern, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

Our stay at the American guesthouse was more than great. The house is old and beautiful, lots of old furniture/antiques, interesting paintings... Our room on the top floor was very pretty, and the location is very convenient. The breakfast was very, very good and fresh. We stayed there for five nights and got a wonderful culinary surprise every morning! Highly recommended!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Fullerton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

American Guest House is the perfect blend of B&B and upscale vacation rental. The breakfasts designed by Lisa, the house's Chef, were the highlight of each morning. During our 7 day stay, each breakfast was unique and a culinary masterpiece. Staff are warm and friendly with many tips on exploring DC during the financial shutdown ...enough alternatives to let us forget about it.

For evening life, there are plenty of unique restaurants of every ethnicity and type in the area - bistro, asian, mid-eastern, etc. Plus, a short walk to DuPont Circle metro gets you to the White House/congress/mall effortlessly.

Location is everything in a large city, and these accommodations met the prefect blend of city and small town flavor. It IS the place to stay. We will definitely return on our next trip to DC.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

This was our first visit to Washington DC and I would higlhy recommend staying at The American Guest House. The staff went out of their way to make our two night stay perfect. We could not have asked for a more central location than this. Our room was extremely comfortable and clean with an old world charm. Breakfast was good and plentyful with something different each day. I also was very impressed that one morning we had a very early morning start with a tour, when we came down stairs that morning our breakfast was packed to go which made us fell very welcomed..

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

On my first visit to Washington DC for business and a little sightseeing thrown in, I was torn between booking a corporate chain hotel, which I knew would be efficient but bland and impersonal or to take a risk and try something more individual.

I'm glad I took the latter option, because I booked a couple of nights in the American Guest House and was delighted with my experience.

The room I had was gorgeously Victorian with the most comfortable bed I ever slept in (including my own dammit!) I loved the elegant and creaky floorboards, which I must confess I walked over sometimes just for the fun of it!

Breakfasts were a delight with the Sunday Shrimp and Grits reason alone to stay in Washington for the weekend.

The bathroom was spotlessly clean, water as hot as you would like and if you needed it ,the television large enough to gather a small village around.

The American Guest house is easy walking distance (10 minutes) to Dupont Circle Metro and from there all the city is accessible.

All in all a lovely an unexpected escape. I glad I took the risk.

Minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Highly recommend!!! Spent two nights at American Guest House while in DC for a conference. The conference hotel, 1/2 block away, was $100 more per night and no tasty breakfast or wonderful conversation with Lisa. My room was very comfortable and clean; the tone of the entire place was welcoming and homey. That's something I don't experience at even the most comfortable hotels–and I've stayed at many of those! As others have noted, it's walking distance to many restaurants of all price ranges, the Metro, Zoo, etc. Two notes: 1) from the Dupont Circle Metro, it's an uphill walk. So, if you have heavy bags, are tired, or just don't want to walk, take the bus (#42, I think) which stops just a few steps from the front door; 2) AGH does not have an elevator, so be prepared to cart your luggage up (or down) stairs. Lisa was very accommodating in helping me with my mega-ton bag (which I don't normally travel with). And as strong a lady as she is, I'd rather she save her arms for mixing up those fabulous muffins, tarts, and fluffy morning eggs. :-)

Room Tip: I stayed downstairs in Room 114. Very comfortable, quiet except for morning when breakfast was serve...
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

I'm not a regular visitor to B&B's so I don't have too much to measure this place by, but if the American Guest House is the norm for B&B's then I regret not having discovered B&B's earlier. The staff were delightful, always willing to help. Waking up each morning, the daily special at breakfast was something I looked forward to... though I did miss breakfast one morning because of a late night the previous night. Afterall, this place is only a block away from the trendy restaurants and bars on 18th St and Florida Ave in Adams Morgan, so there's no excuse. It's an easy walk to the shops and metro station in Dupont Circle. The bedroom was very homely and comfortable - though, if it had been any warmer, I'm not sure the ceiling fan would have been able to keep the room cool enough. It is an old building, so sound does travel through the walls a little bit and I was always conscious of the creaking stairs at 2am in the morning. Wifi strength was good but speed wasn't always great.

Room Tip: Note that there's no elevator
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
AmericanGuestHouse, Owner at American Guest House, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
I am so very grateful for the fact that our guests take time out off their busy schedules to write a review, especially one that is so complementary.

I would like to mention that we do have central air conditioning in the guest house and also ceiling fans in each bedroom. Sometimes all it takes is to open (or close) the walls and/or floor registers in each room to either get more or less air flow. I encourage our guests to always let us know of any issues while they are staying with us so that we have a chance to fix right away.

The house was built in 1898 and we have preserved the original look even though we continually renovate and update but unfortunately the beautiful wood floors does squeak a bit.

Been to American Guest House? Share your experiences!