“Good experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of American Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Washington DC
American Guest House
2005 Columbia Rd NW, Washington DC, DC 20009 (Dupont Circle)   |
Ranked #11 of 50 Washington DC B&B and Inns
Bucuresti
“Good experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

The American Guest House is one of the most beautiful proprieties I stayed in, mostly because I love the antique style.
I stayed only one night because I was in town for a concert and I had a gift card. Although we had some problems until it was verified, per all it was a very pleasant experience. The staff was great, the room and all the house was clean, and the location could not be better. I had to leave extremely early and I din't get the chance to eat breakfast, but I'm positive it would have been delicious.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

382 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Philadelphia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

My wife and I stayed here over a long weekend (2 nights), in order to be close to the main sights of DC. In this we were not disappointed - the American Guest House is absolutely close to everything. We were but a 15 minute walk to the Capital, to the Memorials, to the museums - perfect for our needs!

But looking over these gushing 5 star reviews, I feel a moral obligation to stay something. We've stayed in many, many B&Bs. It's a thing we love to do - in fact staying in B&Bs is a large part of why we travel - nothing beats the care, comfort, and local knowledge of a B&B ran by a caring inn keep. So, these are our qualifications - nothing professional, but certainly not our first rodeo.

All that said - this B&B was luke warm, at best. It gets a three star, instead of the two we had wanted to give, if only because the location is so ideal. First of all, the inn keeper Bernardo was not friendly. I don't know how else to say this. He just...didn't care. Bored? Burned out? Who knows? If he wasn't "about to step out" and obviously hassled that we turned up 30 minutes early, or correcting a lady at breakfast that "actually coffee is not a food" (no, he wasn't playing along - that little nugget dropped an awkward blanket over the whole table), or my favorite, interrupting our conversation with another guest to "invite us to take the conversation to another room" because "the dining room was closed". The "dining room" is a room that sits open and unused during the day, just FYI. He just wanted us out of his way so he could clean (or have the maid clean).

So, beyond the unfriendly inn keep, this B&B has "honor system" boxes planted all over the place. They ask you to pay for snacks from the dining room. Bread (or whatever) from the refrigerator, and yeah even money for pieces of paper when you use their printer.

Really? Here's an idea. Bump the rates up a hair and just go ahead and makes these services free. We don't mind paying a little extra - we aren't looking for rock bottom rates.

Which leads me to the accommodations themselves. These rooms are like stuffy little closets. Seriously, the pictures make them look exotic, old-time-y, even adventurous. They are all of these things - and they are also cramped and poorly furnished. The bathrooms are decorated in so uninspiring a fashion as to have been modeled from a Motel 8, and the towels? Yeah, the towels did not match. At all. Seriously? Even Motel 8 can match their towels. Best of all? Those used books you read about on their web site? Honor system box. $1 a book. Not "give a book take a book" - nah, straight up "give us more money". WTF?

Anyway, I could easy go on but the fact is a B&B experience is a personal thing. You will have your own experience, and perhaps it will be amazing. We hope it is - nothing beats staying at a B&B you love. And maybe this B&B represents the best of what's available - in DC? Or maybe we just caught this B&B at a low point?

In any case we hope you enjoy your trip, no matter where you stay.

Room Tip: Be prepared to hear when anyone above you is moving, so...stay on the top most floor?
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
AmericanGuestHouse, Owner at American Guest House, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
I was so disappointed when I read this review that the first thing I did was to call some of the guests we had over that weekend and hear their side of the story of what happened at breakfast the morning this guest mentions on his review and apologize of course for any misconduct on the part of our Innkeeper.

First I would like to say that what you see on our website is exactly what we offer at the American Guest House, we are very transparent about how we run our business. Please be assured that we are true to our advertising, and what you see online is what you get. As for rooms being small, the property is a historical landmark of over 100 years old, and the rooms, it is true, they are not large, with exception to a few like room 403, the largest, then 303, 302, 202 & 114 which are not as large as modern hotel rooms, but nonetheless very comfortable and very good for the rates we charge in our upscale neighborhood.

Our rates are very competitive, but if having a large room is important, I would suggest the Hilton and Church Hill Hotels which are located less than 1 block away from us, however their hotel rates are normally double or triple our room rates, plus they charge richly for breakfast, snacks and WiFi.

As for the Honor System, it is offered and intended as a convenience to our guests and all for minimal charges. We offer a few snacks, water, soda, printing capability and some used books which you can take it home with you for just a $1. Some of our guests pay and some don't, we don't expect to make money of it, as a matter of fact, we always come out short.

We also offer Free self serve coffee, tea, hot chocolate and cookies 24/7.

As for Bernardo, we spoke with the lady that the supposedly offensive phrase had been told to and she said and I quote "I wasn't offended and I know he didn't mean for it to be offensive, it was all in the context of the conversation". If she had not said this, we would have asked Bernardo to leave the American Guest House immediately because it is extremely important to me that our guests are treated with kindness, respect and gratitude. I have had an extensive conversation with Bernardo to make sure he knows how I feel about the way we treat our guests and I know he understands.

Jennifer, was the Innkeeper on duty that morning and Bernardo just walked in to see if she needed any help...It sounds like an unfortunate misunderstanding and I am very sorry about the way it went and even more sorry for having a guest unhappy with us.
Antwerp, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

A great place to stay.
Small rooms but very cosy but it is not a hotel its a guesthouse!!
The housekeeper Jonathan is very helpfull and gentle.
This a keeper
Breakfast was very good and a very inventive an filling.
Staff was alway present and was always very helpfull.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I recently enjoyed another fine stay at American Guest House bed and breakfast. A few points: 1. Breakfast cooked by Jonathan each day was excellent, inventive, and very filling. 2. Staff, headed up by Jonathan, is helpful and friendly without hovering over you. A staff member is always present in the building, even if you might not see them on occasion. 3. Rooms are quiet very clean, and the beds are very comfortable. Hot water is fine, just let it run a minute or two. Toiletries are simple but fine: soap and shampoo. Specifically, about noise—this is an old building on a city street. I myself do not find it a bit noisy at night or any other time. This is, though, a matter of personal perception. 3. Remember, this is a bed and breakfast—if you are inclined towards chain boutique hotels or high-end luxury hotels, my thought is that you should realize a B & B is not the same, and, if you stay, judge it for what it is. 4. Rooms are cozy, but not huge. Some bed and breakfasts have bedrooms with separate sitting areas--that’s generally not the case here. I think the rooms are attractive, with nice dark wood trim. Just look carefully at the photos on their website and on Trip Advisor, and you will see what they offer. 5. Bed and breakfasts vary in how they look and are decorated. American Guest House has beautiful old wood trim everywhere (the staircase is the highlight), and has older, antique style furniture to match. Like antiques in general, some furnishings may look a little used with aging. I prefer it that way. But other people like bed and breakfasts with new furniture and new decorations. Just think about what you prefer, and what this bed and breakfast features. 6. The building is a very sound and well maintained structure, located on a nice street in a great neighborhood, close to innumerable restaurants, and about a ten minute walk to the Metro stop. 7. I have been able on more than one occasion to check in earlier than the typical hotel check-in of 2 or 3 pm. I greatly appreciate this. Storing bags before departure is not a problem. 8. Wifi works fine throughout the building.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Wheaton, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

My husband and I recently journeyed to DC to enjoy the mall area and take in the museums. We usually prefer B & Bs over chain hotels and we were very pleased with our experience at the American Guest House. We were given a tour of the property when we arrived and the amenities were elegant and well maintained. Our room was gracious and sweet, with a small window overlooking the front street (Room 202). The bathroom space was somewhat tiny, but adequate. The front desk staff were helpful in terms of educating us about the area. We really enjoyed the gourmet breakfasts each morning and were glad to sink into a comfortable bed each evening. The B & B is within walking distance to the Metro. We recommend the American Guest House to others visiting the DC area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

It was a wonderful place to spend the weekend. Very conveniently located to Adams Morgan, where the family member I was visiting lives. The room was small but very comfortable, with private bathroom, great queen bed, flat-screen TV (32"?) with cable. Nicely appointed, beautiful wood floors and walls, super clean, etc. The breakfast was delicious, and the staff was kind, helpful, professional, and all around great folks. I'd stay here again for sure!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Brookfield, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

This bed and breakfast was a terrific find, located in the embassy area of NW Washington, and therefore near a large number of good international style restaurants. Took a $14 shuttle from national airport to hotel and was able to walk to nearby shops. I was attending a large meeting and trade show at a venue located about 2 miles N. The hotel staff were extremely helpful, including quickly getting me a taxi when needed. Breakfast (included) was freshly cooked, and creatively different every day - a real treat compared to usual overpriced and awful food usually found at large hotels. Free WiFI, books in every room, flat screen TV, comfortable bed, and evena small fridge made this a great value. The hotel itself is a perfect example of a classical historical building with beautiful period furniture, and oriental rugs. Other guests included a fellow meeting attendee and international vistors, all making for pleasant and interesting conversations. Try Napolean, a french bistro resturant nearby - great food and atmosphere.

Room Tip: Try second floor.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to American Guest House? Share your experiences!